Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Don shikari

F1 student marry American citizen

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, I know it must seem a repetitive thing but I would much appreciate someones time and help. I am a F1 student from England. I have been studying in America since 2009. I met my girlfriend a year and a half ago and we have lived together for a year now. We are getting married in a court to keep costs down, as the forms are expensive. If someone could advise me on the steps to take and especially the forms and in what order and how much and even how ling that would be great. I would love to answer any questions you have aswell. Thank you

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey! Congrats and Goodluck! Everything you need to know is here on this VJ Guide. Also, you should be posting here. You will find a lot of people in similar situations :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

File this all at the same time. http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2 It is called a I-130/I-485 CONCURRENT application, though there are other subsequent forms. It costs $420 +$1070 + the cost for the medical. It should take 3-6 months and you will have a mandatory interview. Read the guide here, as well as the instructions for the forms themselves. Once you send it in, you cannot travel abroad until you get a temporary travel permission for the period in which the application is pending, called Advance Parole (AP). That part usually takes 2-3 months. Good luck!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.