7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife entered the country on a K1 visa, and is about to file her I-485.

On the visa in her passport, there is a line labeled "A#", which is a number in the format NN-NNN-NNN.

We had been using this as her A# on all of the forms we have printed so far, and were planning on mailing the I-485 packet on Monday. However, I noticed that on her NOA2, the A# is slightly different: it is a nine digit number in the format NN0-NNN-NNN (that is, almost the same as the one on her visa, but there is an extra zero on the first set of digits).

Has anyone else ever run into this? Which number should we be using on the forms: the A# on the visa or the one on the NOA2?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Its the same number just with a 0 on it?

If you don't put the 0 on the number on the forms they will just add it on later. Not a big deal! nothing to worry about. mine are like that too and so were my friends. USCIS adds a 0 on the front if you don't put it on there.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Other than the zero, it's the same. I'm just confused because it's at the end of the first set of digits, not the beginning. E.g. the first set of digits is "20" on the K1 and "200" on the NOA2. Everything else is the same.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If it was a leading zero, then they're effectively the same number. But if the changed character really is at the end of a block, the A# is now numerically distinct. There are some odd circumstances where people end up having two distinct A#s. In those circumstances, you should always use the latest one - in this case, the one on the visa.

But what worries me in your case is if the change on the visa was the result of a typo at the consulate [as seems quite likely, to me]. In that case, you should be using the first one, and the visa should really have been corrected before she used it to enter the US. Oh well, water under the bridge now.

In your shoes, I would make an Infopass appointment at the local USCIS office and get it sorted out by an immigration officer in person, before you file for AOS. The problem will get a lot more complex if you file for AOS without having sorted it out first.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

If your number was 12345678 on the visa and 012345678 on the NOA2 then no problem BUT it sounds like you're saying its actually 120345678 in which case there IS a problem.

The number on the NOA2 is correct, the visa is not. This is why you should ONLY rely on the NOA2 number, and no other. As you have not mailed any documents yet you'll be fine. Change the A number the same number as your NOA2 and that will be the end of it.

The number on your visa isn't actually noted anywhere as your A number. It's just a note someone put on the visa, it's not actually tied to you.. YET. Send the forms with that number and you could cause all sorts of issues for yourself. My visa had no A number listed on the Visa, it's just something some people do and others don't.

**Edit - and yes. This has happened to many people which is why my advice is ONLY trust the NOA2 as it's automatically entered and generated. Anything on the Visa or I-94 is open to human error.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Yes, the zero is missing from the wrong place, so I expect this was a typo on the visa.

I've scheduled an Infopass appointment for Thursday, and we'll make sure everything is straight before filing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Yes, the zero is missing from the wrong place, so I expect this was a typo on the visa.

I've scheduled an Infopass appointment for Thursday, and we'll make sure everything is straight before filing.

Okay but you don't NEED an infopass. Like I said the number isn't tied to you yet because it's just a random note error.. like if you were writing a phone msg and spelt the name wrong. Not a big deal and changes nothing. HAd you sent in your AOS forms already THEN you would definitely need an infopass and would definitely need to fix it.. but you haven't yet so there is no problem.

By all means go to the Infopass if you feel you need to (though I assure you you don't) but PLEASE do not act on the Infopass officer's advice until you tell us what they said as they are sometimes wrong.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.