JaseLynn

J-1 and K-1

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I have a question as to what to do now. My fiancee and I have everything ready and about to send in packet 3 for the K-1 visa. After looking at the DS-230 and seeing the 2 year HRR I checked her visa and find she is under that rule. Come this Sept. she will be out of the U.S. for a year. Now my main question is what to do. I've read about the HRR and about getting a waver but to me it seem's highly unlikely that she can get a waver. We have one year down and only one to go so my thoughts are to stay with the K-1 and finish the year out. Should we stop the K-1 for now and then start it back up next year or should we just go ahead and finish the K-1 paper work? If we are approved for the K-1 will it still be valid when she comes over next year? I wouldn't think so because of the 90 days. She was thinking she could just come over here get married and then go back home till the 2 year HRR is finished but I told her they wouldn't let her in the country in the first place because of the 212(E) visa. And if she was to go back home without filing for AOS she wouldn't be allowed back in the country and then we'd have to go the K-3 route. Any and all input is welcome.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If the 2 year HRR is not fulfilled, the visa will not be issued

It is up to you on how you'd like to proceed

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Can you notify the consulate of your decision?

Yes, you'll have to start over and no, you will not save any time

Good luck

PS - have you fully investigated the 2 year HRR waiver?

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

She has a lawer helping her to look into it fully but from what I read about the waver I just don't see it happening. So if we continue the K-1 she will be denied at the interview? Her lawer is telling her to go a head with the K-1 but I dont think thats a good idea. I guess I'm falling into a place that not many people know what to do.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am filling out packet three Medical etc and have come across this.

I left the US on a J1 in Oct 2009, I was hoping to continue the process and just hope that they approve it but don't ISSUE it until after Oct 2011 . .

Maybe you could continue with the process but just VERY SLOWLY so that you tie in the interview with the fulfilment date of the HRR.

Under what grounds does the lawyer recommend you continue the process- did he offer you any legal words of advice and/or reassurance?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Push or Darnell know the delay timeframe allowed, but you should be able to delay your interview, just not exactly sure on how long you can do this for. You can delay sending back the P3 and then request a delay on the interview, which might be able to get you stretched out to the full second year. Let's determine this before you squash the application in process; no point in throwing away that money until you know for sure.

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I guess this is a subject most don't know. Was thinking I'd get a little more than this.

Depends on how much faith you have in your lawyer!

1. Cancel the K1 and begin from scratch when the time comes

2. delay the process until Sept 2012

3. Apply for a waiver

4. Continue on from lawyers instructions

This is an area not many people come across- I called the US Embassy and they said if your petition passes the USCIS stage then don't worry about it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I've seen this questioned addressed on legal forums a couple of times. In both cases it was stated that a K-1 visa is impossible to get until the 2-year home residency requirement was met. However, after reading a bit of the INA Act, I don't think this is completely accurate.

Sec. 212(b)(regarding J-1 Visas) (e) No personadmitted under section 101(a)(15)(J) or acquiring such status after…shall be eligible to apply for an immigrant visa, or for permanent residence,or for a nonimmigrant visa under section 101(a)(15)(H) or section 101(a)(15)( L) until it is established thatsuch person has resided and been physically present in the country of hisnationality or his last residence for an aggregate of a least two yearsfollowing departure from the United States…

What that says to me is that your fiancee is ineligible for H or L visas but is completely eligible to receive a K-1 visa and re-enter the US. However....

Sec. 245. [8U.S.C. 1255] (regarding adjustment of status)

©1/ Other than an alien having an approvedpetition for classification as a VAWA self-petitioner, 1aa/ subsection (a) shall not be applicableto…

(8) any alien who wasemployed while the alien was an unauthorized alien, as defined in section <a href="http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-8501.html#0-0-0-4081">274A(h)(3) , or who has otherwise violatedthe terms of a nonimmigrant visa.

That implies that, once here, she still cannot apply for AOS as the terms of the J-1 visa would have been violated. The 2-year residency must be served in the country of citizenship or the last country of permanent residence prior to coming to the US on the J-1 visa. I would suggest looking into the possibility of a waiver.

Edited by Rich&Vero

"A man who lives within his means, suffers from a lack of imagination"

~Oscar Wilde

Timeline:

07/18/2011 - Mailed I-129F Petition

07/21/2011 - NOA1

10/18/2011 - NOA2

11/14/2011 - Packet 3 Received

02/14/2012 - Interview (3 months?!?!)

03/02/2012 - Passport w/ K1 received!

03/03/2012 - WHAT'S TAKING SO LONG??!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.