Trian

K1 or K3

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

We are in dire need for some direction. I used to study and work in the USA (10 years). I however decided to move back home (Middle East) this year to look for a job due to issues with getting the green card through company sponsorship. While at home, my boyfriend of 1.5 years came over, met my parents and proposed to me. Excited but a bit stressed bout the situation and what our next steps should be.

We wanted to get opinions on what would be a better option for the visa. We want to get married in Goa sometime Feb 2012, however marriage in Goa (Catholic) would require me to have a civil/ court marriage first I believe. I assume, if I get the civil/ catholic wedding done in Goa, that would mean for me to come back to the states would require me to come on a K3, right? Or could I still come in on a K1? Which would be faster and affordable (given we are on a very limited budget)? How many months in advance would we have to apply for it so we can be together soon after the wedding in the states. Or would it be advisable to move to the States (Nebraska) on K1 - not sure how long it would take to get the visa to move back to the states and how long it would take to get a work employment/ get advance parole/ apply for greencard? Do you think this is all possible before Feb 2012?

Also, I am unclear on the CR1. Would that be better than K3 or K1?

I guess we just need some advice on what would make sense. I would also like to be with my Fiancé sooner rather than later but I am worried about the financial burdens given I have no income right now. I don’t know. We just could use some perspective.

Thank you for listening and providing us some advice.

Trish & Ryan

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Posted times by USCIS from NOA1 to NOA2 for K1 and CR-1 are the same, 5 months. CR-1 has processing at the NVC but if things are managed properly on the petitioner's end, time at the NVC can be short. You obviously have no control regarding things on the NVC end.

If you get married in Goa, K1 is off the table as it is for couples who are not married. Your USC spouse would file a petition on your behalf to apply for a CR-1.

CR-1 is better than K3. CR-1 is an immigrant visa, you would receive a green card on arrival at the POE in the form of an I-551 stamp, the actual card would arrive in the mail a short time later. You could also work right away. To even have a K3 enter the picture, the I-130 would have to be filed first, then the I-129F would be filed. USCIS would tie the two petitions together and if the I-129F were to reach the NVC at the same time or after the I-130, the I-129F for K3 would be administratively closed leaving only the I-130 for CR-1 active.

K visas (K1 fiancee and K3 spouse) are non-immigrant visas that would require adjustment of status to obtain the green card. Furthermore, in order to work or leave the US while the AOS is pending, you would have to apply for the EAD and AP respectively. Also, the timeframe before receiving an EAD and/or AP is months.

In terms of costs, you are looking at the following figures in terms of fees, I rounded up in my estimates:

K1: $2000

petition filing fee

visa fee

adjustment of status

CR-1: $1000

petition filing fee

affidavit of support fee

visa fee

If you choose the K1 route, the petition can be filed for anytime, just don't get married until after you enter the US.

If you choose the CR-1 route, the petition cannot be filed until after you have married. Once you have married, filing can happen anytime.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

HI Ryan H.

Thanks so much for your input on this. We are not leaning towards CR-1... will look up more information on this.

Are these forms easy to fill or would you recommend a laywer?

Posted times by USCIS from NOA1 to NOA2 for K1 and CR-1 are the same, 5 months. CR-1 has processing at the NVC but if things are managed properly on the petitioner's end, time at the NVC can be short. You obviously have no control regarding things on the NVC end.

If you get married in Goa, K1 is off the table as it is for couples who are not married. Your USC spouse would file a petition on your behalf to apply for a CR-1.

CR-1 is better than K3. CR-1 is an immigrant visa, you would receive a green card on arrival at the POE in the form of an I-551 stamp, the actual card would arrive in the mail a short time later. You could also work right away. To even have a K3 enter the picture, the I-130 would have to be filed first, then the I-129F would be filed. USCIS would tie the two petitions together and if the I-129F were to reach the NVC at the same time or after the I-130, the I-129F for K3 would be administratively closed leaving only the I-130 for CR-1 active.

K visas (K1 fiancee and K3 spouse) are non-immigrant visas that would require adjustment of status to obtain the green card. Furthermore, in order to work or leave the US while the AOS is pending, you would have to apply for the EAD and AP respectively. Also, the timeframe before receiving an EAD and/or AP is months.

In terms of costs, you are looking at the following figures in terms of fees, I rounded up in my estimates:

K1: $2000

petition filing fee

visa fee

adjustment of status

CR-1: $1000

petition filing fee

affidavit of support fee

visa fee

If you choose the K1 route, the petition can be filed for anytime, just don't get married until after you enter the US.

If you choose the CR-1 route, the petition cannot be filed until after you have married. Once you have married, filing can happen anytime.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

We are in dire need for some direction. I used to study and work in the USA (10 years). I however decided to move back home (Middle East) this year to look for a job due to issues with getting the green card through company sponsorship. While at home, my boyfriend of 1.5 years came over, met my parents and proposed to me. Excited but a bit stressed bout the situation and what our next steps should be.

We wanted to get opinions on what would be a better option for the visa. We want to get married in Goa sometime Feb 2012, however marriage in Goa (Catholic) would require me to have a civil/ court marriage first I believe. I assume, if I get the civil/ catholic wedding done in Goa, that would mean for me to come back to the states would require me to come on a K3, right? Or could I still come in on a K1? Which would be faster and affordable (given we are on a very limited budget)? How many months in advance would we have to apply for it so we can be together soon after the wedding in the states. Or would it be advisable to move to the States (Nebraska) on K1 - not sure how long it would take to get the visa to move back to the states and how long it would take to get a work employment/ get advance parole/ apply for greencard? Do you think this is all possible before Feb 2012?

Also, I am unclear on the CR1. Would that be better than K3 or K1?

I guess we just need some advice on what would make sense. I would also like to be with my Fiancé sooner rather than later but I am worried about the financial burdens given I have no income right now. I don’t know. We just could use some perspective.

Thank you for listening and providing us some advice.

Trish & Ryan

yeh i was wondering the same thing... hopefully somebody will be able to help us decide. :)

Service Center :California Service Center

Consulate :Jamaica

I-130 Sent :2011-12-14

I-130 NOA1 :2011-12-16

I-130 RFE :2012-06-18

I-130 RFE Sent :2012-06-25

I-130 Approved :2012-08-06

NVC Received :2012-08-06

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill :2012-09-06

Pay I-864 Bill 2012-09-06

Receive I-864 Package :2012-09-06

Return Completed I-864 :2012-09-10

Return Completed DS-3032 :2012-09-06

Receive IV Bill :2012-09-20

Pay IV Bill :2012-09-22

Case Completed at NVC :2012-10-04

Packet 4 Received :2012-10-12

Interview Date :2012-11-13

Interview Result :APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Are these forms easy to fill or would you recommend a laywer?

The forms themselves are straightforward as far as filling them out goes, there are sample forms in the VJ guides that you can look at for assistance in completeing them. Most importantly though, keep doing your homework.

The decision on whether or not to retain a lawyer is yours and yours alone, however, I think it's fair to say most people on VJ will say unless your case is complicated, having a lawyer might not help all that much. I say again for emphasis, you have to make that call based on what your are comfortable doing, not on what I or anyone else says.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.