AlinaH

Is it really necessary to get SSN right now?

13 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm on a K-1 visa. I did my POE June 16, and we got married on June 28. I decided to wait till I got married and got my marriage certificate in the mail to apply for SSN because I didn't want to have to change my name on it after already getting it. So now that I have my marriage certificate, do I just fill out the forms with my married name and show them proof of the certificate in order to get it in my married name?

However, my real question is, is it necessary to get a SSN at this point in time? And what do I put down as reason for needing it if I can't work? I ask this because I was reading their website, and it seems like I'm not even allowed to get one..

"Unless you are a noncitizen who wants to work in the United States, you probably do not need a Social Security number.

Generally, only noncitizens authorized to work in the United States by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can get a Social Security number. Social Security numbers are used to report an individual’s wages to the government and to determine a person’s eligibility for Social Security benefits. You need a Social Security number to work, collect Social Security benefits and receive some other government services.

Lawfully admitted noncitizens can get many benefits and services without a Social Security number. You do not need a number to get a driver’s license, register for school, obtain private health insurance, or to apply for school lunch programs or subsidized housing.

Some organizations use Social Security numbers to identify you in their records. Most, however, will identify you by some other means if you request it.

We cannot assign you a Social Security number solely so you can get a driver’s license or a service that requires a credit check.

Although many companies, such as banks and credit companies, may ask for your Social Security number, you are generally not required to provide one if you don’t have one."

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10096.html

Sooo...if I can't work, how am I allowed to get one? :wacko:

June 7, 2010 - Will asked me to marry him, and I said YES!!
October 4, 2010 - Will sent away the I-129F Petition
October 12, 2010 - NOA1 received!
October 15, 2010 - First "touch"
October 18, 2010 - Second "touch"
March 7, 2011 - NOA2!!!
March 18, 2011 - NVC forwarded our case to the Montreal Consulate....NOT where we wanted it to go!
March 25, 2011 - Email from Montreal saying that our case would be forwarded to Vancouver - only took one night for a reply from them smile.png
April 5, 2011 - Vancouver has our package!
April 6, 2011 - Received Packet 3 via email - now just waiting on my police certificate.
April 13, 2011 - faxed Packet 3 to Vancouver
April 14, 2011 - received Packet 4 via email
May 4, 2011 - Medical appointment
May 5, 2011 - Interview!! APPROVED smile.png

June 16, 2011 - POE at Blaine Peace Arch Crossing
June 28, 2011 - Got married by Elvis in Vegas!
Aug 8, 2011 - Received SSN in the mail.

Aug 31, 2011 - Sent off AOS Package
Sept 7, 2011 - Package received by USCIS
Sept 9, 2011 - Notice of Action email for AOS, EAD, and AP.
Sept 16, 2011 - Received my Biometrics Appt. letter for the 30th.
Sept 22, 2011 - RFE sad.png
Sept 30, 2011 - Biometrics Appt.
Oct 26, 2011 - Received interview letter for Dec 1st
Nov 4, 2011 - EAD/AP approved
Nov 12, 2011 - Received combo card in the mail
Dec 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED smile.png
Dec 9, 2011 - Greencard arrived in the mail!

Oct 18, 2013 - I-751 Package signed for at CA Service Center

Mar 5, 2014 - Approved! Awaiting greencard in the mail

It is not necessary to get it at this time if you don't need/want it. You can get it when you have your EAD or when you have your GC. If you want to get it now, then you can. While you are not authorized to work, for SSN purposes you are. The SS office has you put down that you are allowed to work, so they understand to issue you a number. It's confusing... no doubt. All these different agencies and need to communicate better... but for now, for your SSN, you are a legal alien allowed to work, even though in real life you're not :)

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Ok so on the form, do I check "legal alien allowed to work" or "legal alien NOT allowed to work"

I did want to get my drivers license and open a bank account, etc. so do I need an SSN for those purposes?

March 7, 2011 - NOA2!!!
March 18, 2011 - NVC forwarded our case to the Montreal Consulate....NOT where we wanted it to go!
March 25, 2011 - Email from Montreal saying that our case would be forwarded to Vancouver - only took one night for a reply from them smile.png
April 6, 2011 - Received Packet 3 via email - now just waiting on my police certificate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Legal allowed to work. You need SSN to get on joint bank accounts and for car insurance etc yes.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

ahh ok thanks!

March 7, 2011 - NOA2!!!

Filed: Timeline

Ok so on the form, do I check "legal alien allowed to work" or "legal alien NOT allowed to work"

I did want to get my drivers license and open a bank account, etc. so do I need an SSN for those purposes?

Don't worry about the SS-5. Just take your passport, I-94, marriage certificate and birth certificate if you have an original handy.

RM 10211.420 Employment Authorization for Non-immigrants

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211420

G. Policy for employment authorization by Class of Admission (COA)

The following policies apply to employment authorization by COA.

1. Aliens employment-authorized without specific DHS authorization

The following chart lists, by COA code, non-immigrants authorized to work in the U.S. without specific authorization from DHS. The alien’s I-94 showing one of the following COAs has employment authorization unless otherwise noted. The I-94 will not have the DHS employment authorization stamp and the alien will generally not have an EAD.

K-1 - Fiancé(e) of U.S. citizen.

Ok so I applied for my SSN a couple hours ago. Yayy!

However, when she went to verify me with immigration, they had somehow screwed up my name to include my middle names within my first. So instead of just Alina as my first name, it had Alina plus my two middle names.

So while she could see me in the system and knew it was me, she had to send it off to USCIS to have them verify it because of their mistake.

Now I'm wondering how to change that with USCIS. Because clearly my name is recorded wrong in their system.

March 7, 2011 - NOA2!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

I assume you decided to take on the last name of your husband?

Did you already submit your AOS package?

If not, you will apply for AOS based on your "new" name, which is documented by your marriage certificate. This will also be the name your Green Card will carry, unless somebody screws up, of course. Once you have your Green Card, you'll go back to the SSA and have them correct the name on your SS card based on the Green Card.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I assume you decided to take on the last name of your husband?

Did you already submit your AOS package?

If not, you will apply for AOS based on your "new" name, which is documented by your marriage certificate. This will also be the name your Green Card will carry, unless somebody screws up, of course. Once you have your Green Card, you'll go back to the SSA and have them correct the name on your SS card based on the Green Card.

Yes, I did take the last name of my husband. However, what USCIS screwed up is my first and middle names, which is why Social Security has to now verify it with USCIS. So, I am wondering, how do I go about correcting my first and middle names?

March 7, 2011 - NOA2!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

Same answer.

Apply for AOS in your new name which contains your correct first and middle name. That's all you can do at this point in time without bending over backward and going completely gagga trying to figure out what is beyond the scope of inquiry envisioned by a rather flawed system.

If it happens that you won't have an interview (variable 1) and will get your Green Card with a wrong name (variable 2), let's talk about this again.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

AlinaH,

Our local DMV license office told us my K-1 fiancee, now wife just needed 2 forms of ID & passport,marriage certificate, plus an official letter to her at our address, utility bill, change of address from post office etc. the latter being most difficult, as i pay all the bills, and complicating them by adding her name would take time, and post office refused to take change of address from Philippines to our house here. went to city to add her to city bill, and was told cant do it for a month, but when i pointed out this months bill hadn't arrived and wouldn't for a few days, she said ok, took the info then sent the bill out with no changes, but we made the mistake of mentioning the I-94 and our desire to get ID's and papers done before it expires, and she said if there is less than 60 days on the I-94 she cant help us. she didnt care at all that the I-94 was just a temporary step prior to marriage, if anything expires within 60 days they freeze up and refuse to help, atleast in this local office.

But barring the mention of anything expiring in less than 60 days it seems only passport, 2 ID's marriage license, and an official letter to you at your new address would suffice for them.

As far as the social security number goes, lady #1 in social security office said could have gotten one prior to marriage but not at all after, and said if we could find any other information authorizing a social security card other than being permitted to work come back.

I found just that. on the social security site about roughly 10 or 12 paragraphs below the cut and paste from their website in your initial question, it says and i quote, "if you are not authorized by DHS to work in the United States, You can get a Social Security number only if you can prove you need it for a valid non-work reason. This might happen, for example, if a state or federal law requires you to have a Social Security number to obtain benefits to which you have already established entitlement."

A local National Guard ID card office made my new wife a military dependent ID a few days ago, marking NO to authorization for medical care, and said when we bring in a social security number they'll change it to yes. I asked them to state that on paper for me to take to social security office, and was told no but that, i could find it on the army website. found it, on usarc.army.mil under DEERS, the US Military word for the database where they keep track of all dependents tricare status, and i quote, "Initial DEERS enrollment requires mandatory disclosure/verification of social security number. failure to disclose it will result in loss of elegibility for medical benifits in military treatment facilities (MTF), and took it into the local ss office. Lady number two was not impressed, stating flatly that this straightforward statement detailing our circumstances on social security website does not apply, and stated that DEERS, which i used for the past 40 years or how ever much of that time it existed, to make sure my dependants were eligible for military medical treatment, had nothing to do with military and that My ID that i show each time im asked for my medical; card, and they make coppies of has nothing to do with medical treatment, even when i showed her on the back where it said direct medicasl treatment in mil medical facilities, was marked yes on mine and no oh hers, and also showed her the printout from DEERS stating Deers is the massive database used to keep track of Military dependent medical authorization as shown on the dependent ID. so neither of them intended to give us a social security number, but lady number 2 finally gave up her battle against my new wife having a social security numberbased on a federal law authorizing her to get a benefit (medical insurance) to which she is entitiled, but requires a social security number to get, stating that doesnt apply, but that if her i-94 didnt expire soon, she believed it was in 10 days, she could get it anyway. I agreed with no actual information to ten days as i knew it was 19 days till the I-94 that had signifficance prior to marriage, but none now, would expire. and she ordered a social security number for my wife, saying it will arrive in about 2 weeks.

So if you can outlast them while remaining professional inspite of them not doing so, and present your case, and have a leg to stand on, they may to save face issue you a social security card on some other basis that suits the lady in the office, even if disregarding any proof you might have that its authorized for other reasons. On the way out the door my wife said will we just have to come back after adj... and i said no honey the number will stay the same, everything's ok na. lets go before the frozen food in the car melts, and ushered her out the door, before the lady changed her mind. I think the only valid reason for one, other than work, i can think of is to get authorized military medical insurance, for a dependant of active duty or retired Servicemen. Im not sure if people run into such resistance everywhere but resistance to getting the ID's we need seems the order of the day in local offices here, but as one fellow pointed out here a day or so ago, if you're ready to educate the office personel, getting what you're authorized to have is possible.

I shudder to think of the complications of correcting a name at the same time as attempting to get them to do the out of the ordinary, but most government offices have a name correction procedure. I'm just glad i caught that they wanted to do the same thing with my wife's name and corrected them before it happened.

Yes, I did take the last name of my husband. However, what USCIS screwed up is my first and middle names, which is why Social Security has to now verify it with USCIS. So, I am wondering, how do I go about correcting my first and middle names?

Is your name correct on your I-94? If yes, the problem is with the immigration database SSA checks to verify your immigration status. If the name on your I-94 is correct, the worst thing that can happen is the SSA office has to send a photocopy of your I-94 with Form G-845 to immigration to verify your status so that the SSN application can be cleared. Nothing needs to be corrected.

As far as the social security number goes, lady #1 in social security office said could have gotten one prior to marriage but not at all after, and said if we could find any other information authorizing a social security card other than being permitted to work come back.

I found just that. on the social security site about roughly 10 or 12 paragraphs below the cut and paste from their website in your initial question, it says and i quote, "if you are not authorized by DHS to work in the United States, You can get a Social Security number only if you can prove you need it for a valid non-work reason. This might happen, for example, if a state or federal law requires you to have a Social Security number to obtain benefits to which you have already established entitlement."

A local National Guard ID card office made my new wife a military dependent ID a few days ago, marking NO to authorization for medical care, and said when we bring in a social security number they'll change it to yes. I asked them to state that on paper for me to take to social security office, and was told no but that, i could find it on the army website. found it, on usarc.army.mil under DEERS, the US Military word for the database where they keep track of all dependents tricare status, and i quote, "Initial DEERS enrollment requires mandatory disclosure/verification of social security number. failure to disclose it will result in loss of elegibility for medical benifits in military treatment facilities (MTF), and took it into the local ss office. Lady number two was not impressed, stating flatly that this straightforward statement detailing our circumstances on social security website does not apply, and stated that DEERS, which i used for the past 40 years or how ever much of that time it existed, to make sure my dependants were eligible for military medical treatment, had nothing to do with military and that My ID that i show each time im asked for my medical; card, and they make coppies of has nothing to do with medical treatment, even when i showed her on the back where it said direct medicasl treatment in mil medical facilities, was marked yes on mine and no oh hers, and also showed her the printout from DEERS stating Deers is the massive database used to keep track of Military dependent medical authorization as shown on the dependent ID. so neither of them intended to give us a social security number, but lady number 2 finally gave up her battle against my new wife having a social security numberbased on a federal law authorizing her to get a benefit (medical insurance) to which she is entitiled, but requires a social security number to get, stating that doesnt apply, but that if her i-94 didnt expire soon, she believed it was in 10 days, she could get it anyway. I agreed with no actual information to ten days as i knew it was 19 days till the I-94 that had signifficance prior to marriage, but none now, would expire. and she ordered a social security number for my wife, saying it will arrive in about 2 weeks.

If they assigned your wife an SSN based on that, they screwed up and you were lucky.

RM 10211.600 Requests for an SSN from an Alien without Work Authorization

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211600

3. Evaluate evidence to establish the need for an SSN

Obtain an original letter or form letter from the government entity to document a valid nonwork reason.

b. Accept only letters that meet SSA criteria

The letter or form letter from the government entity to document a valid nonwork reason:

-- must be dated and on letterhead stationery;

-- must specifically identify the alien, the nonwork reason an SSN is required, the relevant statute or regulations requiring the SSN as a condition to receive the benefit or service, and the name and telephone number of an official to contact so that the information provided may be verified;

-- must state that the alien meets all the requirements to receive the benefit or service, except for an SSN; and

-- must have the wet signature of the authorized official for the government entity

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.