Michael.Nichols

Moscow interview 8-19! But Elena's passport is at the Canadian consul!?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

So we have a problem! Just found out the Interview date is August 19. The problem is that Elena's passport is currently at the Canadian embassy in Moscow. She applied for a Canadian tourist visa so we could meet in Montreal to visit while we wait foe the fiancé visa to be completed. The Canadian visa application said that most applicants receive their visas within a month of applying, and we applied in May. At that point we hadn't received the noa2 yet, so we thought it would be fine. But, after waiting and trying to contact them they told Elena that delays are very common and that she should email the Canadian consul. She emailed them, and received an automated response that they will try to respond within 21 days! I can't believe it! So in the meantime they have her passport, the week we wanted to be in Canada has come and gone, and the interview date is approaching. Does anybody have any advice? It seems so unfair for them to say it will take a month and then inform you of very common several month delays after they receive her passport. when she calls they send her to voicemail... And they want 21 days to respond to emails. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Has she tried faxing a letter requesting her passport back from them?

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Follow any of the advices here: I like the fax idea. Short of that, email the US Embassy and state your concern to them and ask them if it is OK to go to the interview and send in the passport later.......or just reschedule the interview for a later date.

They will be accomodating, especially for the latter.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Well she lives about a 24 hour train ride from Moscow...so she can't just stop by unless she does it when she goes for the interview. Ill try the fax idea... Hopefully we won't have to reschedule but that would be better than a rejection, thats for sure. We musnt be cockblocked by the Canadians! Beautiful country by the way.

Timeline

Well she lives about a 24 hour train ride from Moscow...so she can't just stop by unless she does it when she goes for the interview. Ill try the fax idea... Hopefully we won't have to reschedule but that would be better than a rejection, thats for sure. We musnt be cockblocked by the Canadians! Beautiful country by the way.

There won't be any rejection......just a delay. As you get closer, email the Embassy. Do not be afraid to do this. Trust me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

There won't be any rejection......just a delay. As you get closer, email the Embassy. Do not be afraid to do this. Trust me.

I agree. They are highly responsive to e-mails. In fact, always answered in less than 24 hours..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

So we have a problem! Just found out the Interview date is August 19. The problem is that Elena's passport is currently at the Canadian embassy in Moscow. She applied for a Canadian tourist visa so we could meet in Montreal to visit while we wait foe the fiancé visa to be completed. The Canadian visa application said that most applicants receive their visas within a month of applying, and we applied in May. At that point we hadn't received the noa2 yet, so we thought it would be fine. But, after waiting and trying to contact them they told Elena that delays are very common and that she should email the Canadian consul. She emailed them, and received an automated response that they will try to respond within 21 days! I can't believe it! So in the meantime they have her passport, the week we wanted to be in Canada has come and gone, and the interview date is approaching. Does anybody have any advice? It seems so unfair for them to say it will take a month and then inform you of very common several month delays after they receive her passport. when she calls they send her to voicemail... And they want 21 days to respond to emails. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Welcome to my world ! Been in similar circumstances and understand your pain.

She could send a DHL or Pony Express Envelope or whatever courier she can get, include a letter requesting immediate return of the passport since your travel dates have passed, and you require it for the interview at the US Embassy. (provide a paid return envelope) Alternately she can inform them she intends to appear on the day before the interview and pick it up in person.

Or... do some research find out who the Ambassador at the Canadian Embassy is, find his/her email address and send it to them or the consular chief or whatever equivalent they have. While Ambassador doesn't deal directly with this, he / she will forward to consular faster than 21 days for sure.

I would strongly disagree with posting the Moscow Embassy "always answers emails within 24 hours", while that may be true in the most plain vanilla of cases and inquiries we have recently found them to be extremely confusing, late in replying and providing less than helpful info.

But..........I am happy to report though after much back and forth the VISA finally arrived 10 days after drop off! A few more weeks to wrap up life across the ocean and soon to leave FSU in the rear view mirror.

Edited by Sergi9

Timeline

I agree with baron, US embassy will work with you, but do try to get it back if you can before the interview.

James and Oksana

event.png

Traveled to Novosibirsk, Russia (thats in Siberia) over holidays

Engaged on ----------------- New Years

Send I-129F package ---- 1/15/2011

Package Received -------- 1/18/2011 10:13 AM signed for by J BRADSHAW

NOA1---------------------------1/20/2011

E-Notification of NOA1---- 1/24/2011 1:09 AM & check cashed, sent to CSC

Hard Copy NOA1------------1/27/2011

Surprise Visit Fiancée-----4/12/2011 - 4/18/2011 (see picture as she was shocked!)

NOA2---------------------------5/11/2011

Birthday Visit------------------5/18/2011 - 5/25/2011

VISA APPROVED!!!----------7/13/2011

Timeline

I would strongly disagree with posting the Moscow Embassy "always answers emails within 24 hours", while that may be true in the most plain vanilla of cases and inquiries we have recently found them to be extremely confusing, late in replying and providing less than helpful info.

Agreed. I was reading all that information that they answer really fast when the USC sends them an e-mail... Nope... They NEVER answered my fiance's e-mail, I had to call them.

And when I sent them e-mails it took 3-4 days to get a reply.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Timeline

Agreed. I was reading all that information that they answer really fast when the USC sends them an e-mail... Nope... They NEVER answered my fiance's e-mail, I had to call them.

And when I sent them e-mails it took 3-4 days to get a reply.

I sent them over a dozen emails over a three month period and all were answered in about 3 business days; even to some of my silly questions. Most answers were short but to the point. None were confusing or misleading; all were very helpful.

You won't know if you don't try. Emailing them does not affect the interview process as you are not corresponding with the CO; but I believe you do establish some sort of rapport with them via that. I say this because my wife got the smiling evil CO who took all the relationship evidence from her but still gave her a 221g requesting more. My FedEx box arrived a week later but they still accepted (even though not specifically mentioned as an option on the form) my many emails sent two days later and approved her visa based on that info.

Timeline

baron555, I'm telling you - the biggest problem was that they didn't send a reply to my fiance's e-mail at all :( He got the auto-reply that they received his e-mail and were supposed to send something back in 3 business days, but they just didn't reply at all. We both have been checking his e-mail every 10 min. for 2 weeks, but nothing... I told them about that when I called them.

And they messed up my interview date - sent me an e-mail that it was going to be Aug 1, later I found out that it's Aug 2. that was pretty misleading :wacko:

P.S. I hope I won't get the yellow slip for being so disappointed with the embassy, but we weren't lucky trying to correspond with them.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Timeline

P.S. I hope I won't get the yellow slip for being so disappointed with the embassy, but we weren't lucky trying to correspond with them.

Yes, I understand and no you won't get pink-slipped for being disappointed. On the other hand, I and many others have had very good luck with them. Of course hopefully the OP gets the hint and does email them asking for direction to their plight.

Timeline

Sometimes the embassy is not so good about responding to e-mails, but keep after them.

Here is an e-mail I sent several years ago after trying a few times. After this one they did reply!

Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:27 AM

To: Consular0, Moscow

Subject: Third request for information

Hello,

Do you people ever answer your e-mail?? I sent this e-mail twice now over the past few months but never got a reply so I am asking again for the third time. Will you kindly reply.

Is it possible to apply for and receive a visitors visa while waiting for an I-130 visa to be approved? My wife's daughter would like to visit and we have applied for an immigrant I-130 but I understand it may take several years to be approved.

Thank you.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.