Loueikun

Confused about I-130 RFE

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

I got my RFE today,

it states

"chinese notarial certificates" with the appendix etc. blah blah

then an asterisk that "all foreign translations must be completed word for word and must certify that translator is competent....

But the request at bottom says

Please submit the Notarial Marriage Certificate for me and my wife.

My original application had copy of every page of my RED BOOK, and an accompanying translation that was done by a translation office in China and they did sign it and state the "this translation is complete and accurate and was competent to translate.... using the sample format.

I put the translation behind the copies of the marriage certificate with paper clip. Was that the mistake?

or I need a Notarized one?

Here is what I have

a original RED BOOK, an original translation (put it on 2 pages stapled) from a private chinese translation office in China. (no seals or any notarization)

The reason I did not go to a government translator in China, was they refused to write the "certify that translation is complete and accurate and they are competent to translate" I thought this would cause an automatic denial cause I-130 doesnt need notarizing on the translation sheet, but they want the competent statement?

What should I do now? Go to local Notary Public and notarize the copy of the "translation sheet" and notarize the copy of the REDBOOK and staple everything together?

I have and she has no HOUSEHOLD registry with me added (I am not living in CHINA)

Here is the complete request

"Please Submit the Notarial Marriage Certificate for the petitioner, ME and the beneficiary My wife. NOTE: The Notarial Certificate must have been issued after April 01, 1992. All notarial certificates of birth must be accompanied by 1) the booklet (photocopy) issued by the appropriate authority reflecting the petitioner's name, the beneficiary's name, and the date their marriage was civilly registered; and 2) the Household Registry ([photocopy) reflecting the addition of the married couple."

Is it just asking for Notarized marriage certificate, and the (birth/household stuff is just info about notarized certificates in general)?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Did you go to the Chinese Civil Affairs Office and have them make white books (notarials) of your marriage, divorce documents, birth certificates? Did you send in copies of the white books with your I-130 application?

Timeline

they are asking for a white book, notarial translation, of the marriage certificate.

WOW - not many people dinged on this for I-130 submittal, some are dinged for it on interview day.

SHE can get it done. prolly want to give her the chinese text over at http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/228853-notarial-birth-certificate/ as it discusses the type of notarial office to go to.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

If it's a Notarial Marriage Certificate that is being asked for, then you need a white book.

The white book is made at a notarial office where her hukou is, it would be made from the red book.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

If it's a Notarial Marriage Certificate that is being asked for, then you need a white book.

The white book is made at a notarial office where her hukou is, it would be made from the red book.

Well once she gets the white book, does it need to be translated again? or they will accept the white book alone? cause I hear that it has

english portion in it already?

I am gonna have her get more than one copy, and I can just send an actual one with my RFE and not have to deal with notarizing copies again?

wish there was a sample scan or image of the front cover of a white book, is it bound like the red book?

Edited by Loueikun

Timeline

White book will contain an English translation and statements saying the translation is accurate.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

White book will contain an English translation and statements saying the translation is accurate.

Ok also emailed her the Mandarin off the other thread but its for a Birth Certificate, but I am sure she can get a general idea of which office to go too. I think we had went to that office and I made dumb idea of refusing, but I think its still good cause I am sure USCIS has already accepted the RED BOOK and its TRANSLATION already, but need the White One because they simply said "Notarial Marriage Certificate" and had provided an exerpt of a specialized appendix for "CHINA"

I hope this all can get done next week so I can get the white books from her in Thailand, I will be meeting my wife in Bangkok at the end of this month, so at least I can get a chance to get the books in person off her once she arrives.

Timeline

sorry, is USCIS asking for this, right? then USCIS not view your marriage certificate as acceptable, at all.

For the submittal on the RFE, remember, photocopy is acceptable - so if you want some speed,

she can colorscan all to you, email to you, you can print out and handle it sooner.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

'Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but the Chinese Civil Affairs office will take about 3 - 7 days to finish the books. Depending on what you need, can cost a bit. I paid 1400 rmb for 2 marriage white books, 2 divorce white books (4 total, hers and mine), 2 birth cert. white books for her and 2 birth cert white books for her daughter. I got 2 sets of each so I can have a set and her keep a set with her, for Guangzhou. You might want to wire your wife some money. Check on the cost, payment is usually due at the time of pick-up.

Edited by Haruki

Timeline

sorry, is USCIS asking for this, right? then USCIS not view your marriage certificate as acceptable, at all.

For the submittal on the RFE, remember, photocopy is acceptable - so if you want some speed,

she can colorscan all to you, email to you, you can print out and handle it sooner.

Loueikun,

1) What they are asking for is a notarial certification of your marriage. So, yes, your wife needs to go to the government notarial office (with her red book and ID) and the notary will make the notarial certificate. The certificate will also have an English translation of both the content (confirmation of your marriage) and a certification from the notary. You don't need to tell them how to word it. The Chinese notarial certificates from the government office suffice in the format they are done. You probably had difficulty before (at the notary office), because you may have insisted how the notary should write it. Yes, the notary office is very particular about what they do. Additionally, they have done this many times before. So, you don't need to coach them. Your wife can simply explain it's needed for the US Immigration office. Period! They have done it before for other people.

The 'White Book' is not like your passport sized marriage certificate (Red Book). It's essentially a letter sized, thin, white cardboard folder with all the documentation bound inside of it. People call it a 'white book' because it seems more like a book style rather than just a sheet of paper or two that you're used to in the US.

2) Darnell is exactly right in the advice he's giving you. In fact, we had several things certified in the Chinese notarial office. Including our marriage, verification of my wife's birthdate (using the family register book), and translated statements given by some of her family in support of our bona fide relationship/marriage . I was not in China for any of the notarizations. But, my wife made color scans of all the certificates and sent them to me by email. That is what I printed and submitted with the I-130 and later again in the NVC process. We held on to the originals to be safe, but had all of them ready to present to the Visa Officer at the consulate for the interview stage.

Don't get too flustered or worried. It's not as complicated as you think. BUT, it will cost a bit and it needs to be done through the notarial office to qualify for USCIS. IT MUST have the notary seal/embossment.

Best Wishes,

~Bleauwolf

Edited by Bleauwolf

Timeline

WOW - not many people dinged on this for I-130 submittal, some are dinged for it on interview day.

+1, this is the first I have heard of USCIS wanting it. This has caused blue slips in Guangzhou so you will need them anyway. I would make sure to get at least a couple copies of each.

Timeline

I keep seeing people here refer to 'colorscans'. I'm a little concerned, because in another thread, I asked if it were necessary to print white book, passport, etc. In color to send with I-130. The consensus was black/white is ok. People here feel differently?

Timeline

IMO, a colorscan (actually was my word) is not same thing as a colorprint. One can print a colorscan in black and white, simulating a photocopy from a black and white copier.

Specifically for white books -

A colorscan is useful for NVC EP submittal, can create that PDF file with a colorscan - showing the pretty red seal 'as is' .

Edited by Darnell

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.