Ozma

In AOS process from F1 to Marriage Based Visa - offered a TA-position, but in LIMBO state - what to do?

6 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am in the process of changing from F1 to greencard - my paperwork is moving rapidly, but I don't know if it is fast enough:

Here is my timeline:

5/17/11 - Sent Package

5/18/11 - Received Package

5/24/11 - Received e-mail notification for I-485, I-130, I-765

5/24/11 - Checks cashed

5/25/11 - Last activity on account based on online tool

5/28/11 - Biometrics appointment letter (for 6/20/11)

6/20/11 - Biometrics Done (they were very nice)

6/24/11 - Text indicating Activity online (at 7:30 am) in morning - I jumped up so fast to get to the computer!

6/24/11 - Notice stating that interview will be on July 27 - no EAD action though

6/25/11 - Received letter that interview will take place on July 27 at 11am

Is there any way that I will receive my EAD early so that I can accept the TA-position, which does not start until August 17th ...

When I return to school will I be considered in state, because I have lived in Chicago almost 15 years now? I have never been out of status - I got married in April, 2011

I am not currently working at all, but I definitely do not want to turn down a TA-position, because it pays for Tuition and fees etc.

When my interview gets approved on July 27th - how long will it be before I have the paperwork to give to the University to show that I am legally allowed to work in the states.... can anybody tell me the process?

Also, has this process ever moved this fast for anybody?

Does anybody see any trouble?

Can I bring the letter offering me the Assistantship to the interview, showing that I already have a job offer? WOuld that help?

Gah, I had a lengthy post typed and then my browser crashed.

Long story short, if you are approved at interview you will get your GC in about 10 business days. You don't need the EAD to work after that - the GC allows you to work by itself.

You can bring proof of your job and ask nicely for a I-551 stamp in your passport at interview if you are approved.

If you need your EAD before that, you can ask for expedite, though it might come around the time of your interview (10 business days to make the card and get it to you etc).

As far as in-state tuition, that varies by state. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Thanks so much for your response! How do you go about to expedite the EAD card?

My case is moving so fast it is freaking me out - especially because the EAD has not been touched according to the USCIS online database.

Gah, I had a lengthy post typed and then my browser crashed.

Long story short, if you are approved at interview you will get your GC in about 10 business days. You don't need the EAD to work after that - the GC allows you to work by itself.

You can bring proof of your job and ask nicely for a I-551 stamp in your passport at interview if you are approved.

If you need your EAD before that, you can ask for expedite, though it might come around the time of your interview (10 business days to make the card and get it to you etc).

As far as in-state tuition, that varies by state. Good luck.

There is no reason to freak out - it's just moving fast because your local office had openings for interviews.

You can call the I-800 number and request expedite. Some people have been successful getting it expedited if they have a firm job offer in hand. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

..just want to acknowledge, it depends on your state on what they will charge you - I've been in California for 11 years, a green card holder since February this year but they still want to charge me out of state tuition until the card is 1 year old.

Good luck for your interview

Maxximus

10/13/2010 - Mailed in The Package (AOS, I-765, I-130)

10/17/2010 - USPS confirms delivery to USCIS

10/25/2010 - Check cashed

10/26/2010 - All applications been worked on aka touched

10/28/2010 - NOA1 Receipts for applications received

11/24/2010 - Received appointment for biometrics in the mail for 12/17 *yay*

12/17/2010 - 9.25 a.m. - 9.45 a.m. Biometrics done !!

12/23/2010 - EAD Approved and Card on its way - Email notification received *yay*

01/03/2011 - WOOOHOOO ...EAD Card in Hand!

01/04/2011 - Oh boy....Received Interview Letter today - February 3rd is the day! :)

02/03/2011 - Interview scheduled 12:45 p.m. - out of there before 1:30 p.m. - further review

Coming home, checking for touches at 5:30 p.m. - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED !!!!

Thank you All on Visajourney for your inputs, experiences and thoughts!!!

02/09/2011 - Yup another e-mail saying that my card production was ordered.

02/10/2011 - E-mail notification "Approval letter was sent today"

02/14/2011 - Welcome Letter / Approval NOA and Card (separate envelope) received!!! :D

Late November 2012 (have to look up my receipts ;) - mailed in ROC I-751

12/12/2012 - NOA 1, status extension received

12/18/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received

01/08/2013 - Biometrics done

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.