mr_potato

Point of Entry

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! I'm a K-1 visa holder and I will be leaving for U.S next week. My fiancee is from New York and her parents are from New Jersey. When I was interviewed in the embassy they asked me what address I'll be staying in the US? so I gave my fiance New York address since we decided that we are going to live there after our wedding. Are family are both very religious and we can only live together after our wedding. My parents are from texas and I'm planning to stay there for 2 weeks before we all go to New Jersey and meet her parents and celebrate our Engagement party and then our Wedding. Now, my question is: Is it ok if I will arrive in Texas before going to New Jersey? or do I need to arrive in New York since that's the address I provided in the embassy? I just don't want to have any problems when I get to U.S. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks!

Hi! I'm a K-1 visa holder and I will be leaving for U.S next week. My fiancee is from New York and her parents are from New Jersey. When I was interviewed in the embassy they asked me what address I'll be staying in the US? so I gave my fiance New York address since we decided that we are going to live there after our wedding. Are family are both very religious and we can only live together after our wedding. My parents are from texas and I'm planning to stay there for 2 weeks before we all go to New Jersey and meet her parents and celebrate our Engagement party and then our Wedding. Now, my question is: Is it ok if I will arrive in Texas before going to New Jersey? or do I need to arrive in New York since that's the address I provided in the embassy? I just don't want to have any problems when I get to U.S. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks!

That will not matter at all. I arrived in Philadelphia but I live in Denver. You will have your immigration paperwork (I-94) stamped where you arrive. You will also have a very small interview at your Point of Entry, but no trouble whatsoever.

Good Luck

Dave :)

Filed: Timeline

Agree with the above. If you take, for example, the Canadians who enter at land borders in order to import their vehicles, etc, they are not necessarily living in the State that they enter. My Port of Entry was Buffalo, NY, to bring across my car, but my permanent address was Florida.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

but I disagree. It really depends on the country you are from. Canada and United Kigdom don't pose a threat as much as some others places. Phillipines you should be fine. but anyone reading from orher unstable countries should not feel this is ok for them. YOur POE can be anyplace.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Your POE can be anywhere. Lots of people have connecting flights, and need to go through the immigration/customs process wherever their first flight lands in the US. You do not have to arrive at the airport nearest to where you will be living. My husband came in through Atlanta, but we live down in FL. I drove up there to pick him up, visit some of our friends in the area after he arrived, and then drove back down to FL a couple days later. You will be just fine. It is a non-issue.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Timeline

but I disagree. It really depends on the country you are from. Canada and United Kigdom don't pose a threat as much as some others places. Phillipines you should be fine. but anyone reading from orher unstable countries should not feel this is ok for them. YOur POE can be anyplace.

You are wrong. Consider this: Overseas flights must fly into an international airport. If the final destination is not in that area, the passenger must disembark to catch a connecting flight. Thus, the Port of Entry will be that first airport.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.