Piefre

Police Checks Will Take 6 Weeks

35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Called two different detachments just outside Calgary. Both told me I'd have to go through the Calgary Police service as I'm not within their jurisdictions. One told me that if I were to show up and I was living in their jurisdiction, it would still take 3 weeks to do. I made sure to state certificate of no conviction for immigration purposes to check CPIC. So that's as straight an answer as I'm going to get, I suppose.

So..looks like it'll be a six week wait for me to hopefully get the right document that Vancouver will hopefully accept because it doesn't look like I can get anything else. What a disaster for what should have been a really simple step. If anyone from Calgary has had to do this recently or in the past, let me know what happened to you because I am pretty much out of options at this point.

Edited by Piefre

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sooooo a question....my fiance just called RCMP and they told her as of June 1, RCMP no longer does these checks....she would have to go to a police station....she does not have a criminal record at all so it would just be one of those Canada wide name checks...

Anyone who has gone to RCMP AFTER JUNE 1 and been able to get this basic background check?

HELP!

Team Katman - was this after June 1 that you had it done at the RCMP?

I work for the RCMP in Ontario. We are not supposed to be performing record checks anymore.

I would try your local Corps of Commissionaires office.

edit: just saw your fiancee went elsewhere, disregard my second sentence.

Edited by JlovesA

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sooooo a question....my fiance just called RCMP and they told her as of June 1, RCMP no longer does these checks....she would have to go to a police station....she does not have a criminal record at all so it would just be one of those Canada wide name checks...

Anyone who has gone to RCMP AFTER JUNE 1 and been able to get this basic background check?

HELP!

Team Katman - was this after June 1 that you had it done at the RCMP?

Hey, sorry I just saw your question now. Yes, I got it done after June 1... on June 10 to be exact.

Naturalization Journey

02-08-2016: N-400 sent

03-08-2016: Biometrics appointment

03-11-2016: Notification "in-line for interview"

04-04-2016: Received interview letter (for May 11)

05-11-2016: Interview (passed!)

06-27-2016: Oath ceremony-->I'm a US citizen!

ROC Journey

06-16-2014: I-751 application package sent to VSC

06-20-2014: Date of NOA1

07-18-2014: Biometrics appointment

11-18-2014: Case transferred to CSC

02-24-2015: ROC approved!!

AOS Journey
02-06-2012: I-485 (plus I-765 and I-131) sent
02-14-2012: Requested an expedite of my EAD due to job offer
02-29-2012: Contacted congressman to help with EAD expedite request
03-02-2012: EAD + AP approved! (Day 25)
09-27-2012: Green card received! (no interview!)

K-1 Visa Journey
05-18-2011: NOA1
11-21-2011: NOA2 *only* 187 days from NOA1!
01-05-2012: Interview at consulate in Vancouver, Canada - visa approved!!!!
01-18-2012: Wedding!!! Yay! We are married!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey, I was wondering if any of you have tried to get the police check or police clearance in Calgary before and what I need to say to them exactly. I just went yesterday to put in a request for a police information check (that's what they called it).

I had to fill out a yellow form that asked me pretty basic stuff like my name, birth date, purpose of the request (I checked 'immigration'), whether I've been convicted of a crime (No) and when I handed the form to them, it was $30 and the woman at the booth told me it'll take around six weeks to get it mailed back to me. Which shocked me and I thought that was strange. I wanted to ask her to clarify but she was very busy and had someone itching to get whatever he needed to get done right after me.

So I shuffled out of there perplexed as to why a name check on someone with no record would take six weeks when everyone else here seems to be able to get their police clearance in a day or two unless you requested a check that involves fingerprinting. Did I fill out the wrong form? I'm going to try to call a different station later this week when I've got time, but I wanted to know if this six weeks thing is standard for Calgary, if the woman at the booth misunderstood me, or if I filled out/requested the wrong thing.

It won't take 6 weeks, I think they just say that as worst case scenario ( criminal record), I got mine done in a small town in BC and they said the same thing 6 weeks, got it 2 weeks later.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It won't take 6 weeks, I think they just say that as worst case scenario ( criminal record), I got mine done in a small town in BC and they said the same thing 6 weeks, got it 2 weeks later.

Thanks, kaibosh. I hope we get it a lot sooner than six weeks. Like someone earlier in the thread said, six weeks is a little extreme for someone with no criminal record. I did check with Vancouver and they said the certificate I'm getting is acceptable so long as it states it checked CPIC or the National Repository. Then I contacted the Calgary police service and they said they don't state CPIC but do mention the National Repository, so that's a load off for now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.