krista_nourdin

Morocco - K1 visa denied - Now what? Help!

37 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Looking at what people have said on here and other posts we do have things the CO could consider as red flags.

* weak proof of communication

* he is a poor farmer

* I have two kids

* I am overweight. (there is no age difference, we were born in the same year)

* his brother is here in the USA and I actually started talking to his sister-in-law before him.

* maybe number of visits and time. Two visits 14 months apart. 3 weeks and 2.5 weeks each.

Now our task is to strengthen the communication and the proof. It is in God's hands now.

Krista, I believe we have met before...on the RAM flight from Amsterdam to Casablanca in July 2009. Your luggage was lost and I had to translate for you. Can this be the same Krista? If so, what a small world and I am very sorry for your denial. I always wondered what happened to you! If you need anything, please let me know!

moroccantea.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

msheesha, we do communicate and in English; otherwise I wouldn't be looking at going for a third visit and to get married. I will be the first to admit that his English has much room for improvement as well as his overall communication. That is why I said we will be working on it. :blush: Any advice is appreciated.

Zaytoona, if I remember right there wasn't much translating. :blink: The guy was very soft spoken and was even speaking English. We were both trying to figure out what he was saying and just had to go to where he was pointing. hahahaha. Thanks again for staying with me until we figured out my luggage did not arrive with me. :star:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

msheesha, we do communicate and in English; otherwise I wouldn't be looking at going for a third visit and to get married. I will be the first to admit that his English has much room for improvement as well as his overall communication. That is why I said we will be working on it. :blush: Any advice is appreciated.

Zaytoona, if I remember right there wasn't much translating. :blink: The guy was very soft spoken and was even speaking English. We were both trying to figure out what he was saying and just had to go to where he was pointing. hahahaha. Thanks again for staying with me until we figured out my luggage did not arrive with me. :star:

Yeah, between my Egyptian Arabic and few words in Darija, we made it out alive! I am glad everything went well!

moroccantea.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Looking at what people have said on here and other posts we do have things the CO could consider as red flags.

* weak proof of communication

* he is a poor farmer

* I have two kids

* I am overweight. (there is no age difference, we were born in the same year)

* his brother is here in the USA and I actually started talking to his sister-in-law before him.

* maybe number of visits and time. Two visits 14 months apart. 3 weeks and 2.5 weeks each.

Now our task is to strengthen the communication and the proof. It is in God's hands now.

krista,

Do you mean the proof is weak (not much printed out for them), or that the communication itself might be seen as poor? When we were in the visa stage, we had our own little "interlanguage' - a mix of English, a little French, and his version of English. When he first got here, we had a joke that I was his "English to English translator" - he couldn't understand anyone speaking other than me, and most people had difficulty understanding him. That soon changed, though. The point you (or actually he) can make is that YOU TWO understand each other.

Interlanguage is "an emerging linguistic system that has been developed by a learner of a second language (or L2) who has not become fully proficient yet but is approximating the target language: preserving some features of their first language (or L1), or overgeneralizing target language rules in speaking or writing the target language and creating innovations." (I got that from Wikipedia - sorry about the underlines). Basically, that means that someone learning a new language will make that language similiar to their native language in some ways, and also that they will use terms not usually used by native speakers (think of Ziva on NCIS, if you've ever watched some of the older shows when she first started). I learned about this in my Linguistics class (wish I had taken it years ago - it explained so much to me about my husband's English and my difficulties trying to learn Darija!)

Don't know if that will help you or anyone else, but I figure it's worth a shot if they mention something about communication. Who knows? Maybe quoting information from Linguists will convince them. I can't make any guarantees, of course, but if you've already been denied...

Most people in Morocco are poor - but he's working.

How does he feel about kids? Are the two of you planning to have any? (Don't answer me - this is for you two and the consulate) If it's true, tell them he loves children, accepts yours, and you're hoping to have some of your own.

My husband says that in Morocco, being somewhat overweight isn't a bad thing for a woman since most people there are quite thin. I'm overweight, too, and he says I'm perfect. Also, he's gained weight since he got here, and says that even though he doesn't have as much energy as he used to, he prefers being a little overweight to being too thin.

I'm not sure what to say about the brother issue - maybe someone else can help with that one. I don't know if it would help to mention how long the brother has been with his wife (if he came on fiance or spousal visa). I figure if one of my brothers in law go for a fiance or spousal visa, mentioning that my husband is a citizen now and still with me (I know it's not long yet - heehee) could be helpful - it will show that he didn't marry me just for immigration and that might put his brother in a better light. If his brother is a citizen, or even just a permanent resident, that might help - what does everyone else think?

Is there any way you can visit him again? I know it's difficult to get that much time and money (and it's a long enough trip you can't just go for a few days - jet lag alone is a good reason for that), but if you can, that might help. I didn't read all of the posts, but I think I saw something about getting married on the next trip. Ask about that (new post?) - some people say it will help, some say it won't unless you address the reasons for the K-1 denial. Either way, you don't want to chance a spousal visa denial.

Best of luck!

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am waiting for him to send me a copy. The problem with going to Morocco is my son is in school and we do not have family in the area that can help. Just 3 hours away. He can't miss school. My available time is in August, during Ramadan. I am assuming that would be a nightmare to try to get married in even 3 weeks then. My next available time? Next June.

In time things will work themselves out. Thanks for all the help!

Dear Krista,

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I want you to know that I was married to my husband Faisal in Morocco on January 10th and I arrived in Morocco on December 27th. Yes, there is a lot of running around that must be done however, with alittle diligence and alot of patience for long lines and such, I think you can get everything together in about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. True, I can only speak from my experience but I can say it can be done. If you would like to contact me directly about what you need and what to say please feel free. Again so sorry to hear about this for you.

Met: 3/2010
Married: 1/12/11
Sent Paperwork to Chicago Lockbox: 4/16/2011
Received NOA1: 4/21/2011 (routed to California Service Center)
Received NOA2: 7/11/2011
NVC Receives case: 8/18/2011 (case number issued and acquired via phone inquiry)
NVC sends correspondence: 8/23/11
Change of Agent form sent: 8/23/11
Paid I-864 invoice: 8/23/11
I-864 invoice shows paid: 8/25/11
IV Invoice bill: 09/01/11
IV Invoice paid: 09/01/11
Mailed out Visa Package to NVC: 09/09/11
Received application acknowledgement confirmation from NVC: 09/16/11
Mailed out Affidavit of Support: 09/18/11
NVC received Affidavit of Support: 9/20/11
NVC Case Complete: 9/26/11
Interview Appointment Received: 10/6/11 (Interview scheduled for November 9th 2011)
Interview: 11/9/11 (pending)
Consulate calls Faisal and reschedules interview because of holiday closure: 10/27/11
New Interview Date: 11/22/11
Interview Status: APPROVED
Arrival in US: 12/21/11
POE: Miami
ARRIVED!!!!!!! Welcome home!!!!!
Received Green Card: 1/25/12
Received SS Card: 2/1/12
Faisal's first job: 2/15/12
Faisal's first day of school: 8/26/2012
Pregnant: 9/6/2012

It's a Girl!: 6/2/2013

Sent out Removal of conditions paperwork: 9/22/13

Received receipt from Homeland Security: 10/1/2013

event.png

• 7 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
On 7/5/2011 at 5:12 PM, Adil & Jeanne said:

Sent email to you telling the exact steps for marriage in Morocco. I will be there from July 16th on for about 90 days if you need help with the process for marriage. It is helpful to have someone (a woman) speaking Arabic with you at the foreign minister as men and women stand in different lines and your financee can not go in with you.

Anyone else needing steps to marry in Morocco, write to me. I married there in March 2010.

PM me please I need info on marrying in  Morocco 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~7 yr old thread locked to further comments. Questions are better asked in their own thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.