Mary and Enrique

Traveling to Canada as LPR with foreign passport

6 posts in this topic

Hey VJ-ers!

My husband (Honduran Citizen, green card holder -- currently filing RoC) and I are planning on taking my grandfather to his home in Nova Scotia this August. I've read both here and on Canadian governmental websites that by virtue of having a green card, he is exempt from the requirement that Honduran citizens secure a travel visa in order to enter Canada. Specifically: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp (under exemptions)

I know that in Honduras and sometimes even here, one website can say one thing and then a very different thing can happen when you show up at the border and/or airport. My grandfather will be absolutely crushed if these plans fall through, especially at the last minute, so I really want to make sure I'm doing my due diligence in making sure that we're good to go.

So my question is...has anyone around here done this? Any trouble or advice? We can drive across the border or fly from the states if anyone can advise one of those over the other -- not sure if it would make much of a difference, but any thoughts or experiences you could share would be very appreciated!

http://maryandenrique.com

05-12-2011 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

05-14-2011 - day 1 - RoC package received by VSC

05-19-2011 - day 6 - RoC check cashed

05-21-2011 - day 8 - NOA arrived in mail

06-20-2011 - day 38 - called NCSC to ask about appointment

06-25-2011 - day 43 - received biometrics appointment (dated 6/21, scheduled 7/19)

07-19-2011 - day 67 - biometrics appointment, no issues

01-19-2012 - day 220 - ROC approved!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

hi, a Honduras passport holder with a Green Card is allowed to travel to Canada without a VISA. Please see this link from the Canadian government for confirmation :)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Enjoy my homeland (L)

event.png

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

That's right. Any national with a Green Card can enter Canada without a Canadian Visa. They would just need their Greed Card and their passport (from whatever country) when they get to the border or airport.

I'm an Indonesian citizen with a Green Card, my wife is a Philippine citizen with a Green Card. Both of us went to Canada (at the Niagara Falls border) with just our Green Cards and our passports. We went cross the boarder twice in one day just so that we can get the photoshots we wanted. Didn't face any issues at all. Hope that helps.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hey VJ-ers!

My husband (Honduran Citizen, green card holder -- currently filing RoC) and I are planning on taking my grandfather to his home in Nova Scotia this August. I've read both here and on Canadian governmental websites that by virtue of having a green card, he is exempt from the requirement that Honduran citizens secure a travel visa in order to enter Canada. Specifically: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp (under exemptions)

I know that in Honduras and sometimes even here, one website can say one thing and then a very different thing can happen when you show up at the border and/or airport. My grandfather will be absolutely crushed if these plans fall through, especially at the last minute, so I really want to make sure I'm doing my due diligence in making sure that we're good to go.

So my question is...has anyone around here done this? Any trouble or advice? We can drive across the border or fly from the states if anyone can advise one of those over the other -- not sure if it would make much of a difference, but any thoughts or experiences you could share would be very appreciated!

He needs only his green card if driving in. We live at the border and frequently go to Canada, Alla uses only her green card and has never had a problem. I use a Vermont Enhanced Drivers Lisence...no passport needed.

One question: does it make a difference if the Green Card is the 2 year conditional Green Card?

Thanks for any input!

none

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Thank you so much, everyone! That is a great help. I will definitely continue to monitor this board in case anyone has other input or experiences, but I'm feeling much better now :) Thanks again!

http://maryandenrique.com

05-12-2011 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

05-14-2011 - day 1 - RoC package received by VSC

05-19-2011 - day 6 - RoC check cashed

05-21-2011 - day 8 - NOA arrived in mail

06-20-2011 - day 38 - called NCSC to ask about appointment

06-25-2011 - day 43 - received biometrics appointment (dated 6/21, scheduled 7/19)

07-19-2011 - day 67 - biometrics appointment, no issues

01-19-2012 - day 220 - ROC approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.