MamaAsiya

PR in jail with expired green card...

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

If he has been charged with a felony and gets convicted, he most likely will serve time in prison. Usually, while he's serving his sentence, USCIS will seek to revoke his status as a resident. In this case, however, his failure to file for R.O.C. will have most likely already triggered this, regardless of his trouble with the law. Either he will have a hearing in front of a judge while serving his sentence, or right afterward. His chances to avoid deportation are extremely slim. It is very unlikely that he'll be released for even a single day before deportation. V.D. is not an option in his case. An $8K - $10K attorney would try to get it, but it would really be a shot into the dark.

It is your decision in how far you want your daughter to be aware of all of these things. It's not an easy decision to make. He won't be coming back to the US for at least 10 years; more likely is that the felony conviction will make him a persona non grata even beyond the timely boundaries of the 10-year deportation bar.

I'm sorry for you, and even more for your child.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Country: Tanzania
Timeline

If he has been charged with a felony and gets convicted, he most likely will serve time in prison. Usually, while he's serving his sentence, USCIS will seek to revoke his status as a resident. In this case, however, his failure to file for R.O.C. will have most likely already triggered this, regardless of his trouble with the law. Either he will have a hearing in front of a judge while serving his sentence, or right afterward. His chances to avoid deportation are extremely slim. It is very unlikely that he'll be released for even a single day before deportation. V.D. is not an option in his case. An $8K - $10K attorney would try to get it, but it would really be a shot into the dark.

It is your decision in how far you want your daughter to be aware of all of these things. It's not an easy decision to make. He won't be coming back to the US for at least 10 years; more likely is that the felony conviction will make him a persona non grata even beyond the timely boundaries of the 10-year deportation bar.

I'm sorry for you, and even more for your child.

Thank you very much for this information.

K-3 Visa

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Tanzania

01-01-2007 Marriage

01-24-2008 I-130 Sent

02-14-2008 I-130 NOA1

02-20-2008 I-129F Sent

02-22-2008 I-129F NOA1

05-07-2008 I-129F/I-130 NOA2

05-15-2008 NVC Received

05-19-2008 Consulate Received

Filed: Timeline

By reading your situation and what you desire; I honestly feel that the questions posted by you are beyond the scope of this forum. He needs a lawyer with immigration and criminal expertise. General knowledge is dangerous, you need specific professional advice. From the top of my head, he would first have to fight and clear all the criminal accusations in court; and having a clean slate he should then fight his case with immigration court.

Timeline

By reading your situation and what you desire; I honestly feel that the questions posted by you are beyond the scope of this forum. He needs a lawyer with immigration and criminal expertise. General knowledge is dangerous, you need specific professional advice. From the top of my head, he would first have to fight and clear all the criminal accusations in court; and having a clean slate he should then fight his case with immigration court.

I am not going to pay for a lawyer. I realize the nature of this forum and I'm appreciative of the information I have received. It is a complicated situation and there can be a number of outcomes. But, if I didn't write here, I wouldn't have known to call the jail and ask about an immigration hold/detainer. The general information has been enough to help me prepare for the conversations I will need to have with my daughter. Thank you for the advisory - I will not take any one persons thoughts as law.

K-3 Visa

01-01-2007 Marriage

01-24-2008 I-130 Sent

02-14-2008 I-130 NOA1

02-20-2008 I-129F Sent

02-22-2008 I-129F NOA1

05-15-2008 NVC Received

I am not going to pay for a lawyer. I realize the nature of this forum and I'm appreciative of the information I have received. It is a complicated situation and there can be a number of outcomes. But, if I didn't write here, I wouldn't have known to call the jail and ask about an immigration hold/detainer. The general information has been enough to help me prepare for the conversations I will need to have with my daughter. Thank you for the advisory - I will not take any one persons thoughts as law.

Your welcome! You can get free legal suggestions and advice from the pro-bono society of your specific county. Also contact the Catholic Charities, they have a deportation legal expert on board to answer your questions based on the outcome you want.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Australia
Timeline

For some reason, I always thought if an "immigrant" has a child born in the US with a US Citizen, then they have some possible grounds to be eligible to stay in the US despite the issues with law/immigration ???

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

05/17/11... I-751 packet mailed to VSC... 05/18/11... I-751 packet received... 05/24/11... Check cashed... 05/26/11... NOA1 received (receipt date 05/19/11)... 06/25/11... Biometrics Letter received (Bio set for 07/20)... 06/28/11... Early Walk-In for Biometrics (Durham NC)... 12/30/11... I-751 Petition Approved (called USCIS on 01/04 and was advised of approval)... 01/05/12... Card Production Ordered... 01/05/12... Approval Letter received... 01/XX/12... GC received in the mail... 04/08/14... 

N-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

05/09/14... Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule...10/08/14... N-400 packet sent via UPS to Texas (finally!)...10/10/14... N-400 packet received...10/16/14... Check cashed...10/20/14... NOA1 received (Priority Date 10/10/14)...10/31/14... Biometrics Letter received (Bio set for 11/12/14)...11/12/14... Biometrics completed (Tampa FL)...11/13/14... Received yellow letter today (Dated 11/07/14)...11/14/14... In line for interview (e-notifications received at 12.36pm)...12/24/14... Interview scheduled (e-notifications received)...01/02/15... Interview letter received (Interview set for 02/03/15)...02/03/15... Interview completed Successfully!...02/11/15... In line for Oath! (e-notifications received at 7.00pm)...02/12/15... Oath scheduled & letter sent (e-notifications received at 1.30pm)...02/17/15... Oath letter received (Oath set for 02/23/15)...02/23/15... Oath Ceremony at 1pm in the Tampa Field Office... I'm officially a US Citizen!!

I-130 FOR MY PARENTS TIMELINE

11/14/16... I-130 packet for my parents sent via UPS to Phoenix

11/15/16... I-130 packet received (Priority Date)

11/18/16... Checks cashed, received emails and text messages at 5:22pm, cases routed to Texas Service Center

02/22/17... NOA2 for Mom received (Notice Date 02/15/17)

02/28/17... NOA2 for Dad received (Notice Date 02/17/17)

03/01/17... Status online shows application sent to NVC 

03/17/17... Received emails from NVC for next steps!

03/21/17... Went online to Choose an Agent

03/28/17... Received emails from NVC confirming Agent selection and to proceed with the next step (paying fees!)

04/05/17... Paid the $120 Immigrant Visa Application Processing Fee online today (Also eligible to pay the $325 Fee but will wait before doing so...)

April-August... Took a break from the process in order to move back from USVI to mainland USA.

08/07/17... Paid the IV Fees for both my parents ($325 each) today

08/23/17... Called NVC because payment still showing "In Process", was advised to email proof of payment to have them manually correct it

08/24/17... CEAC website shows "Paid" and can now have parents' DS-260 forms filled in.

For some reason, I always thought if an "immigrant" has a child born in the US with a US Citizen, then they have some possible grounds to be eligible to stay in the US despite the issues with law/immigration ???

Nope. Having a US citizen child does not give the foreign parent any rights to be in the US. The child has rights as a US citizen. The parent is still a foreign national.

Filed: Other Timeline

That would give the term "anchor baby" a completely new meaning, wouldn't it?

Pick up some homely chick in a club, get her wasted, bang her repeatedly, knock her up, and then be rewarded with permanent residency.

:bonk:

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

That would give the term "anchor baby" a completely new meaning, wouldn't it?

Pick up some homely chick in a club, get her wasted, bang her repeatedly, knock her up, and then be rewarded with permanent residency.

:bonk:

Let's add - dump the girl and the baby - free pass to permanent residency.

Would people do this to stay in the US? You bet. This was the old law in the 1970's. Lot's of illegals had anchor babies and were allowed to stay legally in the US. Finally, Congress wised up and changed the law to require the US citizen child to be over 21 in order to petition for a parent.

Timeline

Hi all,

He was charged with a misdemeanor and will be "released" Thursday. I'll be calling USCIS/ICE to get more information on what happens next. If you know the number to call, that would save me some time :) Are there any detention centers in Northern California (we're in the SF bay area)? Or are they going to transfer him to LA?

K-3 Visa

01-01-2007 Marriage

01-24-2008 I-130 Sent

02-14-2008 I-130 NOA1

02-20-2008 I-129F Sent

02-22-2008 I-129F NOA1

05-15-2008 NVC Received

Timeline

Hi all,

He was charged with a misdemeanor and will be "released" Thursday. I'll be calling USCIS/ICE to get more information on what happens next. If you know the number to call, that would save me some time :) Are there any detention centers in Northern California (we're in the SF bay area)? Or are they going to transfer him to LA?

I tracked down the number - strange they don't have it online. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

K-3 Visa

01-01-2007 Marriage

01-24-2008 I-130 Sent

02-14-2008 I-130 NOA1

02-20-2008 I-129F Sent

02-22-2008 I-129F NOA1

05-15-2008 NVC Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.