karah0215

Driver's license

26 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Vj,s

Hi VJ's,

we went to the state trooper yesterday and i showed that i have a EAD and also my passport,original form NOA 797 issued by the DHS showing approval of change of status( thats what in the Drivers manual) but they refused to let me have my written exam.i wonder why?they are still asking for a document that I have been already approved. I can't be approved yet since our interview would be next month. my husband wanted me to include in his car insurance but then,how can he include me if i don't have a drivers license.they were also asking for SSN and we just applied for SSN and i dont have yet the card itself.we went to the SSN office yesterday and they gave me the number but not yet the card.they were also looking for my I94 and we said, my I94 has been expired since i came here as a tourist visa.also the biometrics letter.and we said,we've been through with that and my fingerprint is on the EAD card.i guess,what they were really looking a document that i have been approved already. any insight?pls help.. thanks

TIMELINE (B1B2)

03/25/11 sent AOS package I-130, I-485- I-765)

03/27/11 USCIS received the AOS package ( Chicago Lockbox)

04/30/11 received hardcopy of NOA1

05/07/11 received biometrics appointment (05/20/11 biometrics appointment )

05/09/11 medical appointment done

05/20/11 Biometrics done

05/26/11 Mailed RFE response (06/02/11 USCIS received RFE. Case is being processed at NBC)

06/16/11 Card/ Document production

06/22/11 USCIS mailed a notice that they approved I765 Application for Employment Authorization

06/23/11 received interview date notice

06/23/11 received EAD card in the mail

07/27/11 Interview date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Driver's licences are by state, what state are you in and we can help you narrow down what you need

A lot of places, like Georgia, need the physical green card to have a drivers licence

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Driver's licences are by state, what state are you in and we can help you narrow down what you need

A lot of places, like Georgia, need the physical green card to have a drivers licence

good luck

Hi fellow VJ,

I'm now here in Alabama. we talked to one person that she showed only her EAD and she was able to have a written exam,but that was before. i just don't know now if they have change. any insight? thanks

Here in PA, GC and SSN cards are also needed. My hubby added to me to the car insurance 3 months ago though, not as a driver but just to indicate that he was married and that cut our insurance by 30/ month! He only needed my SSN and passport num for that :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Here in PA, GC and SSN cards are also needed. My hubby added to me to the car insurance 3 months ago though, not as a driver but just to indicate that he was married and that cut our insurance by 30/ month! He only needed my SSN and passport num for that :)

Hey there! Do you know how long one can drive with their out of state license in pa? I am on the PennDot driver webpage and am not seeing it..

Also, I did not know that a GC was needed for a PA drivers license. I just thought that you more or less gave them your old license and showed them your unexpired I-94 and proof of residence info :S

UJaZm4.png

***Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours... xoxo***

Timeline

Hi messybrownhair,

is that enough proof to the immigration officer that he included you to his car insurance though you said not as a driver but to indicate that he was married? I have my SSN, just the number and hopefully next week the card.. thats the only reason why we are in a liitle bit hurry to have a driver's license for him to include me to his car insurance so we can show it as one of our proof for our interview on July 27.and also,he would be gone for his annual training in the military on july 9.by the time he would come back, like 2-3 days left before our interview and we wouldn't like to rush things up later.. thank you

TIMELINE (B1B2)

05/20/11 Biometrics done

05/26/11 Mailed RFE response (06/02/11 USCIS received RFE. Case is being processed at NBC)

06/22/11 USCIS mailed a notice that they approved I765 Application for Employment Authorization

07/27/11 Interview date

Edited by karah0215

Hey there! Do you know how long one can drive with their out of state license in pa? I am on the PennDot driver webpage and am not seeing it..

Also, I did not know that a GC was needed for a PA drivers license. I just thought that you more or less gave them your old license and showed them your unexpired I-94 and proof of residence info :S

Hey! They did not acknowledge my license from the Philippines so I was told to apply for a permit and do the written test/driver's test. PA even requires a mini physical exam! Quick and painless though, don't worry. They might be more lenient with you because you're from Canada though :) And maybe it was only for my case that my GC was needed because I had an expired I-94! You should definitely go while yours is still valid :) Oh and your intl license can be used for up to a year! Awesome isn't it??

Hi messybrownhair,

is that enough proof to the immigration officer that he included you to his car insurance though you said not as a driver but to indicate that he was married? I have my SSN, just the number and hopefully next week the card.. thats the only reason why we are in a liitle bit hurry to have a driver's license for him to include me to his car insurance so we can show it as one of our proof for our interview on July 27.and also,he would be gone for his annual training in the military on july 9.by the time he would come back, like 2-3 days left before our interview and we wouldn't like to rush things up later.. thank you

TIMELINE (B1B2)

05/20/11 Biometrics done

07/27/11 Interview date

It would definitely help to do it, and it would lower his insurance rate too! We just went online to Geico to do it, and it took like 5 minutes to add me.. Hopefully soon he can list me as a driver :)

PS. Add your timeline in your signature, so that you don't need to add it on your post :)

Edited by Messybrownhair
My Journey:

I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Hey! They did not acknowledge my license from the Philippines so I was told to apply for a permit and do the written test/driver's test. PA even requires a mini physical exam! Quick and painless though, don't worry. They might be more lenient with you because you're from Canada though :) And maybe it was only for my case that my GC was needed because I had an expired I-94! You should definitely go while yours is still valid :)

Ugh! Another physical exam??? *Blah.

Thank-you for the info, and congrats on your GC :D

UJaZm4.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Keep in mind that, even though you can probably get a PA DL with your CDN DL and an unexpired I-94 (some states require a minimum amount of time remaining), it will expire when the I-94 does and you will not be allowed to drive with it and it won't be accepted as identification in most official capacities because it has expired. In other words, you may be paying for a license/ID that only works for a few days to weeks and it may not be worth the cost.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Just download the form for the permit and you can go to any physician to do it, they will just ask some basic questions, and I had to have a urine test. It cost $35 and took about 30 minutes :)

Edited by Messybrownhair
My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Keep in mind that, even though you can probably get a PA DL with your CDN DL and an unexpired I-94 (some states require a minimum amount of time remaining), it will expire when the I-94 does and you will not be allowed to drive with it and it won't be accepted as identification in most official capacities because it has expired. In other words, you may be paying for a license/ID that only works for a few days to weeks and it may not be worth the cost.

Hmmm, good point. So would it be better then to just use my Canadian DL while adjusting status?

UJaZm4.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hmmm, good point. So would it be better then to just use my Canadian DL while adjusting status?

That really depends on PA state law and when they consider that your state residency began and how long they give you to change the license. Unfortunately, the state can consider you a resident (for licensing and other purposes) before the Federal government considers you an LPR. As an ID, I see no problem as CDN licenses are treated much like US licenses in that sense but for driving it could be dicey.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Timeline

Hey! They did not acknowledge my license from the Philippines so I was told to apply for a permit and do the written test/driver's test. PA even requires a mini physical exam! Quick and painless though, don't worry. They might be more lenient with you because you're from Canada though :) And maybe it was only for my case that my GC was needed because I had an expired I-94! You should definitely go while yours is still valid :) Oh and your intl license can be used for up to a year! Awesome isn't it??

It would definitely help to do it, and it would lower his insurance rate too! We just went online to Geico to do it, and it took like 5 minutes to add me.. Hopefully soon he can list me as a driver :)

PS. Add your timeline in your signature, so that you don't need to add it on your post :)

Thanks messybrownhair,

we will try again our luck to take my written exam on nearby county tomorrow =) if not lucky, we will just go to ALFA insurance and added me as his wife and get a copy of that as an evidence for our upcoming interview next month.. Hopefully, everything will turn out well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Canada has an agreement with the US about drivers licenses. Most other countrys do not. Generally one or all of the testing is waived when changing a Canadian license to a US state license. It is better to go in and see what they say about your Canadian license and see what they need you to do.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Funny that you asked about DL in PA. I just renewed mine and according to penndot's website, as adjustment of status applicant you need:

- Social Security Card,

- 2 proofs of residency,

- immigration documentation indicating status such as I-797 Receipt Notice, Biometrics Notice, Interview Notice, Court Order of Immigration Court hearing,

- one of the following: EAD, passport, copies of documents certified by the Applicant's attorney or by an accredited Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) representative may be permitted if person's passport is held by immigration agencies in court procedure

Good luck, hope this helped.

5/21/2011 I-130, I-485/I-765 sent (day 0)
5/23/2011 applications accepted at Chicago Lockbox (day 2)
5/27/2011 checks cashed, NOAs issued (day 6)
5/31/2011 NOAs via email (day 10)
6/6/2011 NOAs via mail (day 16)
6/9/2011 walk-in biometrics - 19 days earlier (day 19)
6/16/2011 expedition of EAD approved (day 26)
6/17/2011 appointment letter via mail sent, EAD card in production (day 27)
6/20/2011 appointment notice received in the mail (day 30)
6/22/2011 EAD sent, blue dot back to post-decision activity (day 33)
6/27/2011 EAD in the mail, mail dated 6/22/11 (day 37)
7/21/2011 interview - approved, GC ordered (day 61)
7/29/2011 received GC in the mail (day 69)

ROC
5/7/2013 I-751 sent (day 0)
5/9/2013 application accepted at Vermont Service Center (day 2)
5/16/2013 received NOA1 dated 5/10/13 (day 9)
5/25/2013 received biometrics appointment notice (day 18)
5/30/2013 walk-in biometrics (day 23)
9/17/2013 transfer notice in mail (day 110)
10/10/2013 visa approval (day 133)

Naturalization
1/7/2015 application sent (day 0)
1/12/2015 application received (day 5)
1/14/2015 NOA (day 7)
2/3/2015 biometrics (day 27)
4/8/2015 interview (day 88)

4/20/2015 oath ceremony (day 100)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.