Extrix

Canadian B-2

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there,

I am Canadian and was visiting in the US from Dec 9th, 2010 to May 1st, 2011... I left for about a month and a half and initially planned to return for 9 days. As I was talking to the Border Officer, I was grilled because of my last stay and the length... however I am sure I was in my allowable time to stay as it was not illegal... but you know them officers, always giving us hard times. ;)

Anyways, I was in the country for approx. 144 days before leaving... so as I was talking to the officer, I was assigned a B-2 Visa and a date of August 16th to be out of the country. I added this up and from January 1st of my last stay, that is 121 days, then if I stayed from June 17th to August 16th, that would be 61 says... equalling out to 182 days.

I realize you can stay up to 180 days legally. My question is, does this time reset per stay? or is it in fact per year? I've heard mixed comments as I am Canadian and that the rules are *kind of* different. Can anyone give me a solid answer on this as I am planning on getting engaged and applying for a Fiancee Visa so I can live here eventually.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's 180 days in 1 stay, so you don't need to add up the 2 stays. As you know, it's always up to the border agent whether to let you in, but you're not overstaying if you stay less than 180 days each time you stay (not including your current situation since now you have a B-2 visa and an overstay would start the date that expires).

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline

In addition of it being up to the individual CBP officer, who can determine that you "abuse" your visitor's visa and thus limit your authorization to stay to a shorter period than 180 days, you cannot be more than 180 days in any given calendar year inside the US as that is the magic presence that would make you an (unauthorized) "resident" of the United States.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

In addition of it being up to the individual CBP officer, who can determine that you "abuse" your visitor's visa and thus limit your authorization to stay to a shorter period than 180 days, you cannot be more than 180 days in any given calendar year inside the US as that is the magic presence that would make you an (unauthorized) "resident" of the United States.

So, say if I left August 15th, I would not be able to get back in until next year?.. Since that would be 180 days.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

It's 180 days in 1 stay, so you don't need to add up the 2 stays. As you know, it's always up to the border agent whether to let you in, but you're not overstaying if you stay less than 180 days each time you stay (not including your current situation since now you have a B-2 visa and an overstay would start the date that expires).

How makes a stay?

Thats a open question, I dont think you just go on other side of border and come back in new few weeks would reset the clock.

I know same is applicable for VWP countries, they have 90 days and most of them think their clock would reset if they go to CA or Mexico for few days, but that is not true.

Normally on B2 its 180 days in a calendar year and not per stay.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We are talking about visiting the US, not living here.

Once you have that consept straight everything else follows through.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.