LorRenee

Earning Above the Poverty Line

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hi all,

It's come to my attention that, when bringing your fiance over to the states, one must be earning a certain amount above the poverty line. I've been on the market lately, looking for new jobs and I'm curious to know if minimum wage (let's say, $7.55 an hour or so, full time) would be convincing enough? Or should I set my sights a bit higher and aim for a larger income, which is always a good idea, but if worst comes to worst and I'm stuck working at Target again it'd be nice to have the reassurance knowing that working minimum wage would get us by.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

K1

26 Dec '11 - Officially proposed :)

27 Dec '11 - Continued and Finished building the K1 Package

31 Dec '11 - I-129F package sent

03 Jan '12 - I-129F received in Dallas

04 Jan '12 - Check cashed

05 Jan '12 - NOA1

06 Jan '12 - Touch

08 Jan '12 - NOA1 Received in post

09 Jan '12 - Touch

14 Jun '12 - APPROVED - 161 days

18 Jun '12 - NOA2 hard copy received

29 Jun '12 - NVC Received case, LND number assigned

03 Jul '12 - Case left NVC

05 Jul '12 - Case received by London Consulate

07 Jul '12 - Sent DS forms to London (Packet 3)

09 Jul '12 - Sent DS-2001 (Notice of readiness)

10 Jul '12 - London sent and received packet three

11 Jul '12 - Medical

12 Jul '12 - Received packet three (Yes we sent the documents before we received packet 3)

16 Jul '12 - Called DOS, Interview date assigned!

18 Jul '12 - Packed 4 received

15 Aug '12 - Interview - APPROVED!

17 Aug '12 - DOS confirmed visa issued and printed

21 Aug '12 - Visa received

05 Sep '12 - POE

18 Nov '12 - Wedding!

AOS

23 Nov '12 - AOS Mailed in!

27 Nov '12 - Pack Received

29 Nov '12 - Case Numbers Assigned (NOA1)

03 Dec '12 - NOA received in post

07 Dec '12 - Biometrics appointment received in post

27 Dec '12 - Biometrics

23 Jan '13 - EAD & AP Approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

It's come to my attention that, when bringing your fiance over to the states, one must be earning a certain amount above the poverty line. I've been on the market lately, looking for new jobs and I'm curious to know if minimum wage (let's say, $7.55 an hour or so, full time) would be convincing enough? Or should I set my sights a bit higher and aim for a larger income, which is always a good idea, but if worst comes to worst and I'm stuck working at Target again it'd be nice to have the reassurance knowing that working minimum wage would get us by.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf (i-134 needs 100% for K1 visa, but when AOS you will need the i-184 and 125% amount or plan on getting a co sponsor)

Unfortunately minimum wage in most states will not suffice to meet the affadavit of support requirements for adjustment of status - which for a household of two is ~18K. I would definitely recommend you look for something which pays more. If you could make $10/hour and average 38 hours a week (allows for flux from 36-40hrs from week to week) and work 50 weeks a year (2 weeks off to account for vacation, holidays, sick, personal days, etc.) then you would make $19K gross. Even still, I would shoot for something greater.

2-11-11 | I-129F sent

2-16-11 | NOA1

6-06-11 | NOA2

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I do not think that would be enough for 2 people, you need at least 100%over the poverty line, even some consulates ask for 125% which is about 18k a year for 2 people. I did a quick math (and I am not very good at it) and earning 7.55/hr working lets say 45 hrs a week will give u about 16k. I think u should look for a better job, not easy I know :S Good luck!

K1 visa
Filed I-129: Dec 3rd 2010
Interview: July 6th 2011 APPROVED!

AOS
Filed: Oct 4th 2011
AOS Interview: Feb 7th 2012 - RFE sad.png
AOS Approved: Feb 9th - without sending RFE
Green Card received: Feb 17th smile.png

ROC

Filed: Nov 13th 2013

Approved: March 13th 2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf (i-134 needs 100% for K1 visa, but when AOS you will need the i-184 and 125% amount or plan on getting a co sponsor)

Interesting, the i-134 is an Affidavit of support.... so is the i-184... (Lor is my Fiancé btw, Hi Boo!) so, we're likely to need to fill out both of these, once we marry and I apply for my SSN and AOS past the 90 day for the K1 ? or are we picking one of the other (slight confusion, probably all very clear but I'm being stupid to notice it)

Thanks!

Edited by photomile

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Interesting, the i-134 is an Affidavit of support.... so is the i-184... (Lor is my Fiancé btw, Hi Boo!) so, we're likely to need to fill out both of these, once we marry and I apply for my SSN and AOS past the 90 day for the K1 ? or are we picking one of the other (slight confusion, probably all very clear but I'm being stupid to notice it)

Thanks!

Are you the petitoner?then if you dn't make enough then you will need a co sponsor and you will need 134 for K1 interview and 864 for AOS

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Timeline

Are you the petitoner?then if you dn't make enough then you will need a co sponsor and you will need 134 for K1 interview and 864 for AOS

Thanks, Lor is the person in the states, I'm the one stuck in wet old england.

All this thanks to job losses and the market making it hard to find anything other than basic wages!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Thanks, Lor is the person in the states, I'm the one stuck in wet old england.

All this thanks to job losses and the market making it hard to find anything other than basic wages!

You will need a co-sponsor then unless you are planning to wait until she finds a job that pays enough to sponsor you.

.. and by the way.. Its been raining where I live in NZ for weeks now too. Its no fun ! :no:

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Timeline

You will need a co-sponsor then unless you are planning to wait until she finds a job that pays enough to sponsor you.

.. and by the way.. Its been raining where I live in NZ for weeks now too. Its no fun ! :no:

No fun at all!

The frightening thing is I earn enough that she doesn't need to work... how unfortunate that it's THIS way around!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Photomile - it is unfortunate that you earn enough to support her in the UK and she is not moving there. However, she must earn enough to support you here - as you will go 60-90 w/out being able to work. After you are legally able to work, who knows how long it will take you to find a job - so, the US has to make sure it covers itself - and you will not require gov support (as it's already drowning in supporting the citizens of this country!). I hear you though - it's frustrating. If your fiance does end up taking a job that is $7.55/hour, then she will, indeed, need a co-sponsor in order to complete the process successfully. Good luck!!! This is not a fun process and there are many hoops to jump through - however - it will all be worth it in the end! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.