USColombia

Colombia Club Part III

443 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

The new requirement is that the CO requires the beneficiary to bring a DAS Certificate of the Petitioner to the interview. In the past it has always been a DAS certificate on the Beneficiary. 6 months ago initiated the new requirement that a DAS Certificate is required on both the Petitioner and Beneficiary. Apparently the only way for the US Petitioner to get a DAS Certificate is for the USC to go to Bogota and get it. I.e. His fiance cannot get it for him. I have read where the petitioner can jump through a bunch of hoops... I.e. Send a notarized power of attorney to the beneficiary and then the beneficiary can go to Bogota and get it... which is not always feasible. I.e. It's not easy to get a notarized original power of attorney to a beneficiary and then for the beneficiary get to Bogota a few days before the interview to get it.

Apparently, it is a new requirement, however, they are not asking "everyone" for it. It'd be great if you could find out some info on this requirement and how exactly they expect the beneficary to have the USC Petitioner's DAS Certificate. In case you didn't know... it's listed as a requirement in Packet 3. I assume it was not needed when you petitioned for your fiance as they just added it to packet 3 in April.

Ok.. I had heard of a few cases where the CO requested a DAS Certificate from the petitioner, but it was very rare.. I do remember that I was kind of worried this might had come up at our initial interview, but thankfully it didn't..

Did this happen to you or someone else recently?

I read someplace here on VJ sometime back, that this typically occurs if the CO is suspicious of the Petitioner or the Beneficiary or the relationship itself.. But frankly, my memory is vague as to where I read it exactly..

Edited by kennym

Timeline

This is what I found in the most recent instructions...

Is there anything else in some other location regarding the requirement?

POLICE CERTIFICATES: A Colombian police certificate ―Certificado Judicial” is required for all applicants who will be 18 years of age when they travel to the U.S. It may be obtained at any DAS office or online at http://www.das.gov.co. Police certificates are also required from applicants who have lived in another country for more than 6 months since turning 18 years of age (except for the United States, Mexico, and Venezuela). Please visit http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/index.htm for information about obtaining police certificates for other countries.

Timeline

This is what you're refering to.. Let me check and see what he says...

DAS CERTIFICATE – Entries and exits to and from Colombia for the past 10 years for both the petitioner and all visa applicants over age 18. This document may be obtained in Bogotá at the DAS Office located at Calle 100 #11B-27, Edificio Platinium, Bogotá. Failure to bring this document may result in delays in visa processing

Timeline

This is what you're refering to.. Let me check and see what he says...

DAS CERTIFICATE – Entries and exits to and from Colombia for the past 10 years for both the petitioner and all visa applicants over age 18. This document may be obtained in Bogotá at the DAS Office located at Calle 100 #11B-27, Edificio Platinium, Bogotá. Failure to bring this document may result in delays in visa processing

Diana, Any thoughts on this? You always are soo helpful.. How does a USC go about getting this if he can't be in Bogota?

How long does it take to get?

Timeline

Kenny,

She will also need her DAS certificate (certificado del DAS) as well as her medical exam results. As for evidence, I seriously doubt they'll want to see any since her mother's K1 visa has already been approved.

Diana

Diana, I read in the Instrcutions, that the "certificado del DAS" is only if you're 18 or older. is that the case? We have requested the certificate from DAS, but was wondering if we needed it...

Kenny

Timeline

Kenny,

yes this is what I'm referring to...

"DAS CERTIFICATE – Entries and exits to and from Colombia for the past 10 years for both the petitioner and all visa applicants over age 18. This document may be obtained in Bogotá at the DAS Office located at Calle 100 #11B-27, Edificio Platinium, Bogotá. Failure to bring this document may result in delays in visa processing"

My fiance's interview will be in the next few months (just got the NOA2), thus the reason I am asking if you can find out if it is "really" so necessary. And if so, I guess it means I have to go to Bogota a few days early or she would need a notarized Power of Attorney and go a few days early to get on my behalf. I assume if we go the Notarized Power of Attorney route then they will want it translated into Spanish first as well. It just seems like such a huge burden that many people aren't possibly going to jup through all these hoops, thus the reason it would be awesome if you could find out from someone who seems to really be giving you such great personalized attention.

Edited by Ready to do it

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My husband got my DAS certificate yesterday. We paid for it a couple of weeks ago. Have your Colombian spouse go to the nearest DAS office and ask them. I'm sure they'll make an exception if you pay them a little extra...It is the Colombian way after all.

IR-1

Married: 12/29/2008

USCIS CSC

I-130 Sent : 11/05/2010

I-130 NOA1 :11/19/2010

I-130 NOA2 :05/20/2011

182 days - No RFE's

NVC

Received : 06/08/2011

DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 06/08/2011

Receive I-864 Package : 06/10/2011

Completed DS-3032 : 06/11/2011 (NVC received 06/16/2011)

Pay I-864 Bill : 06/23/2011

Pay IV Bill : 07/22/2011

Return Completed I-864 & IV : 07/25/2011

NVC received: 07/27/2011

NVC RFE: 08/09/11

NVC RFE sent/NVC Received: 08/10/2011--08/12/2011

False RFE for IV: 08/10/11

False RFE for previous RFE: 08/11/11 & 08/14/2011

NVC Reviewed IV: 08/11/2011

SIF and Case Complete : 08/19/2011

Interview Date Set: 09/30/2011

EMBASSY

Medical: 11/11/2011

Interview: 11/16/2011 *APPROVED*

Visa Received: 11/21/11 (arrived on 3rd business day)

POE: 12/02/2011

Welcome Letter & SSN Arrived: 12/12/11

2nd Welcome Letter & 10-year GC Arrived: 12/17/11

-Happily Ever After-

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The DAS certificate for the petitioner is a new requirement but in all honesty many people have said the embassy has never asked for it. I also read from a member in another thread that all she had to do was pay the fee and submit the form signed by the petitioner without the power of attorney. It is my understanding that the DAS has been informed by the US embassy about this new requirement and has made it a bit easier on how to get it. The best way would be for someone to go to their local DAS office to get more information in detail. Here is the link to the form in case you want to see it: http://www.das.gov.co/das/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=category&id=21:_&Itemid=139#, it's the last one on the list. At the bottom of the form, you will see a section where you authorize another person to get the certificate for you. Find out from the DAS if this is all you need and if it's ok not to have it notarized. Like I said, someone else wrote that's all she needed.

Kenny, you would not need it in this case since your step-daughter's visa is based on her mother's requirements that you both already met when her K1 visa was approved. The girl however does need the DAS certificate to show all entries and exits information even if she has not traveled. This is different from the police certificate which is only needed for people who are over 18.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

The DAS certificate for the petitioner is a new requirement but in all honesty many people have said the embassy has never asked for it. I also read from a member in another thread that all she had to do was pay the fee and submit the form signed by the petitioner without the power of attorney. It is my understanding that the DAS has been informed by the US embassy about this new requirement and has made it a bit easier on how to get it. The best way would be for someone to go to their local DAS office to get more information in detail. Here is the link to the form in case you want to see it: http://www.das.gov.co/das/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=category&id=21:_&Itemid=139#, it's the last one on the list. At the bottom of the form, you will see a section where you authorize another person to get the certificate for you. Find out from the DAS if this is all you need and if it's ok not to have it notarized. Like I said, someone else wrote that's all she needed.

Kenny, you would not need it in this case since your step-daughter's visa is based on her mother's requirements that you both already met when her K1 visa was approved. The girl however does need the DAS certificate to show all entries and exits information even if she has not traveled. This is different from the police certificate which is only needed for people who are over 18.

Diana

Hey Diana.

Thanks again for your help.

On another note, I am concerned about getting in the Embassy. We have an email from Bogota IV Unit with the date, but we aren't on the september schedule. This appointment was added after the schedule with help from the IV Chief I will just print the Email. But not sure if that will be enough. I sent an email to Bogota IV asking, but no reply yet.

Timeline

Kenny,

yes this is what I'm referring to...

"DAS CERTIFICATE – Entries and exits to and from Colombia for the past 10 years for both the petitioner and all visa applicants over age 18. This document may be obtained in Bogotá at the DAS Office located at Calle 100 #11B-27, Edificio Platinium, Bogotá. Failure to bring this document may result in delays in visa processing"

My fiance's interview will be in the next few months (just got the NOA2), thus the reason I am asking if you can find out if it is "really" so necessary. And if so, I guess it means I have to go to Bogota a few days early or she would need a notarized Power of Attorney and go a few days early to get on my behalf. I assume if we go the Notarized Power of Attorney route then they will want it translated into Spanish first as well. It just seems like such a huge burden that many people aren't possibly going to jup through all these hoops, thus the reason it would be awesome if you could find out from someone who seems to really be giving you such great personalized attention.

I had my DAS certificate but I was never asked for it. My interview was July 29th. I had my fiancee go to the local DAS office in Medellin on my behalf. I had to send her the first page of my passport that has my information and picture on it and she sent me another form that I had to sign. I also typed up a letter that stated I gave her permission to get this information for me and then we had it notarized in Medellin and it worked perfectly. 3 days later, my fiancee picked up the information from DAS. Supposedly, you can go to the DAS office and get your certificate the same day or next day. I did not try this so I am just telling you what I heard. Good luck.

Timeline

Great. Thanks for the response. When you said "We had it notarized in Medellin," I assume that means you were there with her? You have to be present to have your signature notarized, correct?

I had my DAS certificate but I was never asked for it. My interview was July 29th. I had my fiancee go to the local DAS office in Medellin on my behalf. I had to send her the first page of my passport that has my information and picture on it and she sent me another form that I had to sign. I also typed up a letter that stated I gave her permission to get this information for me and then we had it notarized in Medellin and it worked perfectly. 3 days later, my fiancee picked up the information from DAS. Supposedly, you can go to the DAS office and get your certificate the same day or next day. I did not try this so I am just telling you what I heard. Good luck.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

How can I as the petitioner get a copy of my DAS migratory report? Our interview is on Sept. 19th. Do we have enough time? I had not seen anything that stated I needed to have this. We received the letter from NVC saying what documents they have received and what were accepted or what they needed, and did not see anything about migratory report for the petitioner.

Timeline

i have my appointment at the us embassy in bogota this friday the 9th , but no where did it said that i as a petitioner needed a DAS certificate the do require it for my fiance but not for the petitioner i am going to the interview and i get there this Thursday is there enough time to get that certificate?

3/21/2009: saw each other in colombia after many years.

6/25/2009: visited colombia relationship started!

12/20/2009: visited colombia spende the holidays with him and family<3

1/14/2010: he moved to buenos aires (study)

3/14/2010: we both visited colombia <3 great week!

6/30/2010: i visited buenos aires for a month

11/24/2010: i became a US citizen

11/26/2010: filed I-129f

12/2/2010: NOA 1

12/09/2010: touched

Waiting for NOA2

every day is a step closer to finally being with you!!!!!

Qz9pm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The requirement for the DAS certificate for the petitioner can be found on the US Embassy in Bogotá's website and on page four of the Instruction Packate - K Visa the embassy mails the beneficiary. It says:

DAS CERTIFICATE – Entries and exits to and from Colombia for the past 10 years for both the petitioner and all visa applicants over age 18. This document may be obtained in Bogotá at the DAS Office located at Calle 100 #11B-27, Edificio Platinium, Bogotá. Failure to bring this document may result in delays in visa processing.

As of today, the embassy is not being too strict about this document for the petitioner but if you have time, you can still contact the DAS to find out exactly what they need in order to get it.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

Great. Thanks for the response. When you said "We had it notarized in Medellin," I assume that means you were there with her? You have to be present to have your signature notarized, correct?

Yes, I was there with her. You have to be present because I had to show proof of ID (passport & DL). I'm not sure how to go about getting something notarized without being present there. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.