USColombia

Colombia Club Part III

443 posts in this topic

I am confused about paying the fee at Banco Helm. Can someone tell me what is the procedure? I am arriving in Bogota 2 days before my interview. Is this sufficient time to go to Banco Helm and get it done the same day? Also, I have read that I need the DS-156 form. I have seen someone say that I need a blank form and then another person say that I need to have the formed filled out. Which is it? I tried going to the Embassy website to download this form just in case that I needed the blank form but the link isn't working. Can someone direct me to a good link for this form? What is the proper procedure? Thanks for the help.

Brandon

http://bogota.usembassy.gov/appt-package.html The link to the DS-156 is inside the packet 4 PDF (Appointment Package). It has to be done online and printed out with the barcode generated... print out at least 2 copies, since you'll have to turn in two. Also, if you're using Firefox or Chrome, just open it with Internet Explorer. I don't think it works on any other browser, as far as I can recall.

Our visa journey

December 5th, 2009: Janeth and I meet online

January 3rd, 2011: Our one year anniversary as a couple!

January 11th, 2011: I-129f packet mailed out to USCIS Dallas Lockbox

January 12th, 2011: Packet arrives in Dallas

January 18th, 2011: $340 check cashed by USCIS

May 16th, 2011: NOA2 notice received via text message / on USCIS website!

May 20th, 2011: Paper copy of NOA2 received in the mail

May 24th, 2011: Application forwarded from NVC to U.S. Embassy in Bogota

July 29th, 2011: K-1 visa approved by U.S. Embassy in Bogota!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

http://bogota.usembassy.gov/appt-package.html The link to the DS-156 is inside the packet 4 PDF (Appointment Package). It has to be done online and printed out with the barcode generated... print out at least 2 copies, since you'll have to turn in two. Also, if you're using Firefox or Chrome, just open it with Internet Explorer. I don't think it works on any other browser, as far as I can recall.

That was one of my problems. I was using Chrome and it wouldn't pull it up so I thought the link was dead. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Thanks for that info. How many copies will I need for Banco Helm?

Based on what I read, you take both copies with you, and once you paid they attach a receipt showing you paid to either one or both copies. You only ever need 2, so it won't hurt to just take both to the bank with you. I'm sure they do enough of these that they'll know exactly what to do.

Our visa journey

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hey everybody... I hope everything is going well for all.

My wife and I plan to have a Church wedding in Colombia in the not-too-distant future, date still TBD depending on Uncle Sam. We're going through the preparations here in the U.S. and, since we're already married, it's a little different. No big deal.

But.... It got me to thinking (and I saw something about being divorced in the U.S. but not in Colombia.) I know the U.S automatically recognizes marriages/divorces that occur elsewhere but I'm thinking Colombia doesn't.. So, if we want to be recognized as married in Colombia and hopefully be exempt from the 10-day in-country requirement before getting married (in the Church) there, we probably have to register our marriage here with the Colombian Consulate before we go. Does anyone know how that works? It's still a ways off but something we don't want to overlook.

Also, does anyone know how the spousal visa works in Colombia? Is that only for a spouse who intends to live there? I've done some preliminary research, and it seems likes it's a two year visa to stay as much as you'd like, enter and leave without limit, but without any work authorization, etc.. Basically, a tourist visa without the time limits. We have no intention of living in Colombia and, as a USC, I can enter/exit on a tourist visa many times (well, 8 that I know of) in a 12 month period as long as I don't exceed the 180 days/year or the 30/60 days/visit. I was just thinking, if we one day decided to spend 3-4 continuous months visiting, it may be worth pursuing a spouse visa instead of breaking my stay into two or more tourist visa parts... Of course, eligibility for this would also related to whether or not we are considered married in Colombia...

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

• 2 weeks later...

Update: We went to the Embassy today for the interview, and the topic of a DAS certificate for me never came up, not even in passing. Don't worry about it, I guess unless the USC looks shady. Hell, they didn't even ask Janeth for any of the mountain of evidence we had put together. I don't recommend not taking any evidence, but every case is different.

Our visa journey

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Update: We went to the Embassy today for the interview, and the topic of a DAS certificate for me never came up, not even in passing. Don't worry about it, I guess unless the USC looks shady. Hell, they didn't even ask Janeth for any of the mountain of evidence we had put together. I don't recommend not taking any evidence, but every case is different.

I've heard the same thing from several members who post in the Spanish Colombian K1 Visa thread. The DAS certificate for the petitioner was never part of the list of documents and they were never asked for it. I guess the same rule applies, that it's a requirement for the beneficiary and optional for the petitioner, unless the CO asks for it which is rare.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

I've heard the same thing from several members who post in the Spanish Colombian K1 Visa thread. The DAS certificate for the petitioner was never part of the list of documents and they were never asked for it. I guess the same rule applies, that it's a requirement for the beneficiary and optional for the petitioner, unless the CO asks for it which is rare.

Diana

The confusing thing is that it IS on the list. Just like the "certificación de soltería" letter is listed as a required document in the folder they give you at the embassy to put the documents in, even though the DS-156k fulfills what that letter is supposed to fulfill. I think it's just a case of them needing to update some of this paperwork. And in the case of the List of Required Documents, they probably put it there so you can't say they didn't ask for it if it comes up.

Either way, my fiancee has her visa. It won't put the matter to rest for everybody, but I figured I'd put it out there.

Our visa journey

Timeline

Frank,

thanks for the update. I plan on getting it, just in case as you've mentioned it is on the list. It is not optional, it appears they simply do not ask for it in every case.

I appreciate the update.

Did you go to the interview with your fiance. Any chance you could fill us in on any of the questions they may have asked? Also, did your fiance have her shots records or did you have to get shots done? I'm still really not sure what to do about shots. MMR DTaP and Varicella? She's already had the chicken pox when she was little, but has no way to prove it.

The confusing thing is that it IS on the list. Just like the "certificación de soltería" letter is listed as a required document in the folder they give you at the embassy to put the documents in, even though the DS-156k fulfills what that letter is supposed to fulfill. I think it's just a case of them needing to update some of this paperwork. And in the case of the List of Required Documents, they probably put it there so you can't say they didn't ask for it if it comes up.

Either way, my fiancee has her visa. It won't put the matter to rest for everybody, but I figured I'd put it out there.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Frank,

thanks for the update. I plan on getting it, just in case as you've mentioned it is on the list. It is not optional, it appears they simply do not ask for it in every case.

I appreciate the update.

Did you go to the interview with your fiance. Any chance you could fill us in on any of the questions they may have asked? Also, did your fiance have her shots records or did you have to get shots done? I'm still really not sure what to do about shots. MMR DTaP and Varicella? She's already had the chicken pox when she was little, but has no way to prove it.

I did. Check out my review of the experience on the Embassy reviews page, I went over it to a certain extent. The lady during the preliminary interview asked Janeth several yes or no questions, but basic bio stuff like where she was from, etc. During the final interview, he asked her a couple of things and then asked to speak to me when he saw that I had come with her.

And if she's missing any she can just get them done during the medical exam before the interview, or even at her own doctor beforehand. That's what Janeth did.

Our visa journey

Timeline

With the DAS certificate, my fiancee was told that they put it on the list, but haven't asked for it yet because they are basically giving the first months as free passes. They didn't want to require it and have people say "well it wasn't listed two months ago" or whatever the case might be. So while they aren't asking for it now, they'll begin to when they are confident people have had enough time to properly prepare. My fiancee was concerned so we got mine just in case.

Our interview is Thursday, flying out tomorrow. Here's to hoping everything goes well! I'll post a review when I get back.

Timeline

Do i need to purchase roun trip tickets for my wife and stepdaugther ? even as they come aas CR1 and CR2?

Regards

F

felo391971,

No, one way tickets are fine since they're entering the US with CR1/CR2 visas.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Good Morning:

For Minors Flying with there Mother TO the USA

Does the Letters of Premition Need to Be apostille ? Or Notarize is acceptable?

This worry me it may take 15 days or 200 dollars to get this document expedite

Regards

Timeline

Good Morning:

For Minors Flying with there Mother TO the USA

Does the Letters of Premition Need to Be apostille ? Or Notarize is acceptable?

This worry me it may take 15 days or 200 dollars to get this document expedite

Regards

It depends. If the parent signing the permission letter is outside of Colombia, then the notarized document will also need to be apostilled. If the parent signs it in Colombia at a notary, then no, an apostille is not needed.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

All,

It's great to see Colombia Club III Going.. I was wondering if it was going to get started..

I need help again..

As some of you know me, My wife arrived last year, we married and AOS'd and she now has her GC, but we are starting the Process for her daughter who was listed as "Will Follow" on the DS-156...

As you may remember, Valentina is 8 years old.. Her father has given us his permission..

So the question is, since my wife is now here and we're married, do we still need to submit any additional proof of the relationship?

I completed the DS156 Visa Application and am sending the Original DS 156K which we submitted for my wife.. Also the DS230, and so forth as well as the I-134, taxes, pay stub, job letters, Birth Certificate, Registrar Civil.. What else is needed?

What proof, of the relationship will the want for an 8 year old...

PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Thanks everyone...

Kenny

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.