ralyse

Trouble With Toronto Medical

40 posts in this topic

I had my medical this morning, through no fault of Dr. Seiden's office (mostly) it was basically a nightmare.

So, I overshot traffic estimates and we were there at 5:45am. Good call, because we were second in line. They let us in at 6:30 and I was out by 8:15 with only a bit of waiting in the actual exam room. I *really* recommend getting there as early as possible because by 7:30 the waiting room was standing room only and there were lines for every part of the process.

So, they did my intake and took my forms and money. Then chest xray, which was fine. Then took blood, which was fine. Then I went to an exam room where they did height/weight/blood pressure. Then I was asked to undress and put on the "gown" (Which, I will note, was incredibly tiny and very difficult to wear.) I waited a little while before a doctor came in, took my medical history and looked over my vaccinations. That's where things got messed up.

All I had in terms of vaccinations was a blood test showing immunity for Measles/Mumps/Rubella/HepB and a record of my last tetanus shot (January 2011). I had tried calling Peel Public Health a couple of months ago and they just weren't able to obtain my vaccination records after a nearly 2 hour phone call. The doctor said what I provided was fine, but even though I just had one in January they wanted me to get another tetanus shot. She then gave me a form to take to my doctor and fax in. Then someone else did the actual exam, which consisted of checking my eyes/ears/mouth, a stomach exam, reflexes, a breast exam and a quick check between my legs. She did my blood pressure again because it had been a little high (but nothing unmanageable) earlier in the appointment. They decided that because I was seeing my doctor anyway for the tetanus shot, they'd get one more blood pressure reading from him to see if I were more relaxed at that appointment.

So I left, woke up my fiance who was snoring in the waiting room (Sincere apologies to anyone who was there) and we headed back to Kitchener. I called my doctor as soon as they opened at 9:00, explained that I needed a tetanus shot and blood pressure and they told me just to stop in any time that morning.

We went right to my doctor's office to get it dealt with, they put me as a walk in just to see the nurse... and she came in to take my blood pressure and said she wouldn't give me a tetanus shot because I "didn't need" it. So I gave her my form from Dr. Seiden's office, explained the reason I was told to get it (They wanted a record that I'd had more than one, even if they were close together) and she stepped out to see the doctor. A few minutes later, my doctor came in and was incredibly rude and unhelpful about the tetanus shot requirement. (We have a bit of a strained relationship anyway, but he was being outright rude). I'm explaining that I was told to get this done, I have the papers showing they want it done, and he confirmed to me there would be no "harm" in getting one 6 months after my last tetanus shot, but he refused to do it. Kept saying it was bad medical practice, shot is good for ten years, etc.

So I try and call Dr. Seiden's office, but predictably go to voicemail. My doctor makes several attempts to call them and I send an email from my phone. My doctor gets very high and mighty about it and proclaims that I should just get my vaccination records from Public Health. He knows I've already tried that once because he fought me on getting a blood test done for immunity when I was unsuccessful. So he sets his nurse to calling Public Health and leaves me in the waiting room, admittedly upset because I'd been up since 4:30 and I just want this dealt with. I get an email back from Dr. Seiden's office, saying they're going to find the doctor now to confirm what they want me to do in light of my doctor refusing to give the tetanus shot. The nurse comes by to tell me she's gotten my records from public health. A few minutes later she comes back and says it was the wrong "Laura Clarkson" and she gets back on the phone with them.

I'm sitting in the waiting room, overtired and upset and just making a sobbing #### of myself in the chair when I get another email that Dr. Seiden's office is trying to call my doctor now. I then get called into my doctor's office area and he gives me my immunization records that they *were* able to track down from public health. He's kind of a jerk to me about not being able to get them myself when I tried, gives me a lecture on how it's "terrible medicine" to have asked me to get another tetanus shot for "no reason" and basically accuses Dr. Seiden's office of not know what they're doing. I'm hoping (but not sure) the vaccination record will be enough, crying again because I'm really emotional and overtired and that's when he decides to take my blood pressure again. Needless to say, the reading was really high and he starts to go on about wanted to monitor it over the next few weeks, etc.

He faxes a scathing cover letter with my vaccination record and blood pressure reading and sends me home.

So, for several hours I have had no idea if I've passed or failed the medical, if they still wanted me to get that tetanus shot, if my blood pressure getting so much higher is going to be an issue, etc. I finally got a voicemail from my doctor stating he spoke with Dr. Seiden's office, the vaccination record is enough and he "told them I was really upset" when he checked the blood pressure.

I'm still not entirely sure what's happened, I'm pretty drained and upset (Not to mention super proud that I broke down like a child, sigh.) and I've put an email in to Dr. Seiden's office. I've paid to have my results fedexed to me, so I should see them the end of the week if everything is fine...

But I felt I should share that experience, on the off chance it helps anyone else. I don't know if my doctor was just being a jerk or if they shouldn't have asked for another tetanus shot or what, but it was a couple of extremely high-stress hours when the medical was otherwise quick and painless and I'm still unsure of the outcome.

K1:
10-27-10 : I129F Sent
11-03-10 : NOA1
04-06-11 : NOA2
06-20-11 : Medical (Toronto)
08-03-11 : Interview - APPROVED!
08-12-11 : Visa in Hand & POE
09-17-11 : Wedding <3

AOS:
11-02-11 : AOS Sent
12-05-11 : RFE
12-09-11 : Biometrics
01-11-12 : EAD/AP Card received
01-30-12 : AOS Interview
02-03-12 : Card Production Ordered
02-08-12 : Green Card received

ROC:

11-22-13 : ROC Sent

11-27-13 : NOA

12-17-13 : Biometrics

04-01-14 : RFE

05-16-14 : RFE Response Sent

05-22-14 : Card Production Ordered

05-30-14 : Card in hand

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had my medical this morning, through no fault of Dr. Seiden's office (mostly) it was basically a nightmare.

So, I overshot traffic estimates and we were there at 5:45am. Good call, because we were second in line. They let us in at 6:30 and I was out by 8:15 with only a bit of waiting in the actual exam room. I *really* recommend getting there as early as possible because by 7:30 the waiting room was standing room only and there were lines for every part of the process.

So, they did my intake and took my forms and money. Then chest xray, which was fine. Then took blood, which was fine. Then I went to an exam room where they did height/weight/blood pressure. Then I was asked to undress and put on the "gown" (Which, I will note, was incredibly tiny and very difficult to wear.) I waited a little while before a doctor came in, took my medical history and looked over my vaccinations. That's where things got messed up.

All I had in terms of vaccinations was a blood test showing immunity for Measles/Mumps/Rubella/HepB and a record of my last tetanus shot (January 2011). I had tried calling Peel Public Health a couple of months ago and they just weren't able to obtain my vaccination records after a nearly 2 hour phone call. The doctor said what I provided was fine, but even though I just had one in January they wanted me to get another tetanus shot. She then gave me a form to take to my doctor and fax in. Then someone else did the actual exam, which consisted of checking my eyes/ears/mouth, a stomach exam, reflexes, a breast exam and a quick check between my legs. She did my blood pressure again because it had been a little high (but nothing unmanageable) earlier in the appointment. They decided that because I was seeing my doctor anyway for the tetanus shot, they'd get one more blood pressure reading from him to see if I were more relaxed at that appointment.

So I left, woke up my fiance who was snoring in the waiting room (Sincere apologies to anyone who was there) and we headed back to Kitchener. I called my doctor as soon as they opened at 9:00, explained that I needed a tetanus shot and blood pressure and they told me just to stop in any time that morning.

We went right to my doctor's office to get it dealt with, they put me as a walk in just to see the nurse... and she came in to take my blood pressure and said she wouldn't give me a tetanus shot because I "didn't need" it. So I gave her my form from Dr. Seiden's office, explained the reason I was told to get it (They wanted a record that I'd had more than one, even if they were close together) and she stepped out to see the doctor. A few minutes later, my doctor came in and was incredibly rude and unhelpful about the tetanus shot requirement. (We have a bit of a strained relationship anyway, but he was being outright rude). I'm explaining that I was told to get this done, I have the papers showing they want it done, and he confirmed to me there would be no "harm" in getting one 6 months after my last tetanus shot, but he refused to do it. Kept saying it was bad medical practice, shot is good for ten years, etc.

So I try and call Dr. Seiden's office, but predictably go to voicemail. My doctor makes several attempts to call them and I send an email from my phone. My doctor gets very high and mighty about it and proclaims that I should just get my vaccination records from Public Health. He knows I've already tried that once because he fought me on getting a blood test done for immunity when I was unsuccessful. So he sets his nurse to calling Public Health and leaves me in the waiting room, admittedly upset because I'd been up since 4:30 and I just want this dealt with. I get an email back from Dr. Seiden's office, saying they're going to find the doctor now to confirm what they want me to do in light of my doctor refusing to give the tetanus shot. The nurse comes by to tell me she's gotten my records from public health. A few minutes later she comes back and says it was the wrong "Laura Clarkson" and she gets back on the phone with them.

I'm sitting in the waiting room, overtired and upset and just making a sobbing #### of myself in the chair when I get another email that Dr. Seiden's office is trying to call my doctor now. I then get called into my doctor's office area and he gives me my immunization records that they *were* able to track down from public health. He's kind of a jerk to me about not being able to get them myself when I tried, gives me a lecture on how it's "terrible medicine" to have asked me to get another tetanus shot for "no reason" and basically accuses Dr. Seiden's office of not know what they're doing. I'm hoping (but not sure) the vaccination record will be enough, crying again because I'm really emotional and overtired and that's when he decides to take my blood pressure again. Needless to say, the reading was really high and he starts to go on about wanted to monitor it over the next few weeks, etc.

He faxes a scathing cover letter with my vaccination record and blood pressure reading and sends me home.

So, for several hours I have had no idea if I've passed or failed the medical, if they still wanted me to get that tetanus shot, if my blood pressure getting so much higher is going to be an issue, etc. I finally got a voicemail from my doctor stating he spoke with Dr. Seiden's office, the vaccination record is enough and he "told them I was really upset" when he checked the blood pressure.

I'm still not entirely sure what's happened, I'm pretty drained and upset (Not to mention super proud that I broke down like a child, sigh.) and I've put an email in to Dr. Seiden's office. I've paid to have my results fedexed to me, so I should see them the end of the week if everything is fine...

But I felt I should share that experience, on the off chance it helps anyone else. I don't know if my doctor was just being a jerk or if they shouldn't have asked for another tetanus shot or what, but it was a couple of extremely high-stress hours when the medical was otherwise quick and painless and I'm still unsure of the outcome.

sad.gifSorry you had such a difficult experience!! I hope it all works out okay!!! (if they had a *hug* emoticon I would use it here smile.gif)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I am just tired by reading all that you had to go through. Sorry to hear that. I hope it all works out in the end for you! :thumbs:

March 2010-We met

3/24/10-4/3/10 Mark's first visit to the US

6/8/10-6/29/10 Mark's second visit to the US

June 2010 We got engaged!

10/6/10-10/16/10 Mark's Third trip to US and our wedding

12/23/10-1/21/10 Mark's fourth trip to US

3/18/11-3/30/11 My first trip to the UK

5/18/11-5/26/11 Mark makes his 5th trip to the US

7/26/11-8/13/11 My hubby is coming out to see me again!! 6th Trip

9/27/11-10/15/11 7th trip to the US for my husband

3/8/11 - Sent I-130 Application

3/9/11 - USCIS received application

3/11/11 - Received NOA1

3/14/11 - Check cashed

3/14/11 - Touched

7/13/11- RFE

7/19/11- RFE sent via USPS over night

7/29/11 - NOA2

8/8/11- NVC Received Case

9/7/11 - Case # and IIN # assigned

9/9/11- Paid AOS fee of $88.00

10/11/11 - NVC Received AOS package

10/14/11 - NVC approved I-864 AOS package

9/13/11 - IV bill received

10/29/11 - IV bill fee paid

12/01/11 - IV packet mailed

12/14/11 - Case complete!!

01/31/12 - Medical Exam

02/07/12 - Interview-Approved!!

03/14/12 - POE - Dallas, TX

Timeline

I'm sorry that you had to go through all of that, it is stressful enough without a hassle.

For those who still need to have a medical done and have incomplete or can't obtain their imminization record I would higly recommend that you request titre tests for all the vaccinations that you are required to have including varicella. The tests do not cost anything in Canada, and they only require a few blood draws. It will save a lot of stress. I had this done, and it took about a month for my Dr to get all the results, so it does require you plan ahead a little bit.

I am sure that everything will work out fine for you.

I'm sorry that you had to go through all of that, it is stressful enough without a hassle.

For those who still need to have a medical done and have incomplete or can't obtain their imminization record I would higly recommend that you request titre tests for all the vaccinations that you are required to have including varicella. The tests do not cost anything in Canada, and they only require a few blood draws. It will save a lot of stress. I had this done, and it took about a month for my Dr to get all the results, so it does require you plan ahead a little bit.

I am sure that everything will work out fine for you.

I had the blood test done, though not varicella. They took my verbal assurance that I had chicken pox in the past. Apparently they don't do a titre test for tetanus/diptheria/pertussis in Ontario anymore, or so says the "required immunizations" form they gave to my doctor. (There's a place to check to have that titre test done, then big bold letters saying NOT DONE IN ONTARIO).

So, make sure to have a tetanus shot, I guess.

K1:

AOS:

ROC:

Sorry you had the added stress but at least you have time to sort this all out before your interview. Nothing truly worth it comes easy...keep your chin up, it'll all work out :)

K1:
06-30-10 : I129F Sent
09-10-11 : POE
10-15-11 : Wedding <3

AOS Journey:
11-07-11 : AOS Sent
02-21-12 : AOS APPROVED!!
03-01-12 : Green Card in hand!!

ROC:

APPROVED April 1, 2014

No April Fool here!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You don't go to Dr Casey do you? He's my parents' physician and he totally sucks and he's a knob.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

You don't go to Dr Casey do you? He's my parents' physician and he totally sucks and he's a knob.

No, Dr. Bruce. Who is also a knob. :)

K1:

AOS:

ROC:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good times, not,lol!! But others can learn from ur event--make sure one has proof that you had the vacs!! I guess that was 1 of the benefits of me being in the military, had a nice book with a record of all my shots!! Now on to better things!! Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Oh, girl! I'm so sorry! I would not be thrilled, either. I hope it all gets sorted out - keep us updated! I'm sure the blood pressure thing will be fine. Anyone's would have been raised in that situation. (L)

Did Dr Seiden's office explain why they wanted the second tetanus shot? Is it because technically they don't have a "first" tetanus shot on file?

Our Journey

The Beginning

Early 2009 -- Met on WoW

September 2009 -- Fell in love

May 14 2010 - Officially engaged! smile.png

K1 Journey

September 17, 2010 - NOA1

March 14, 2011 - RFE

April 18, 2011 - NOA2

August 12, 2011 - Interview - Approved!

August 20, 2011 - POE

September 10, 2011 - Married!

AOS Journey

November 17, 2011 - AOS packet sent

November 21, 2011 - NOA1

December 14, 2011 - Case transferred

December 28, 2011 - Biometrics appt

January 18, 2012 - EAD/AP approved! Card production ordered!

January 28, 2012 - EAD/AP card in hand

July 2, 2012 - AOS approved! Card production ordered!

July 7, 2012 - GC in hand

Removal of Conitions

April 29, 2014 - Packet sent

May 6, 2014 - NOA1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You've paid to have your results fedexed to you but they will come in a sealed envelope that you CANNOT OPEN. If you arrive at your interview with that little package opened you'll have to go back to the Dr. to have it checked and resealed. Dr. Seiden's office will however give you a copy of your vaccination report and your chest xray. Make a second copy of that vaccination report just in case anything happens to it during your process (like the POE people keep it, as they did mine)

Oh, girl! I'm so sorry! I would not be thrilled, either. I hope it all gets sorted out - keep us updated! I'm sure the blood pressure thing will be fine. Anyone's would have been raised in that situation. (L)

Did Dr Seiden's office explain why they wanted the second tetanus shot? Is it because technically they don't have a "first" tetanus shot on file?

They said it was because they only had a record of one (I had the record of the January one) and that they wanted to have two dates on file, even if they were close together.

K1:

AOS:

ROC:

Timeline

I meant to edit this into my post but waited too long: Your doctor is a total jackass. I definitely would've cried had I been in your situation. That kind of manner is totally unacceptable! I hope everything gets sorted out for you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.