I AM NOT THAT GUY

Bangkok Adultery Fugitives To Feature on LOCKED UP ABROAD

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

A couple who fled to safety in Bangkok after being banged up in the Philippines on adultery charges are to feature in ‘Locked Up Abroad’ on National Geographic Television this week.

David Scott, from Swindon, Wilts, and Cynthia Reyes, from Manila, made their break for freedom after colleague Andy Chant and myself took up their case in the media in the UK.

At one time it seemed their backs were completely against the wall. Divorce is of course illegal in the Philippines, but if you have a lot of cash it is possible to get an annulment provided both parties agree and one party admits to be mentally unbalanced.

Scores of Filipinas and foreigners may be committing adultery every day as many women in the sex trade have broken, but still legal, marriages. Cynthia was decidedly not in the sex trade. She was actually head of housekeeping at a hotel in Dubai.

DavidScottEmb.jpg

David, Cynthia and baby Janina outside the British Embassy in Bangkok after getting the good news

David and Cynthia had met on the internet and he flew out to meet her in Manila. She got pregnant and when he flew back for the birth both were arrested at gunpoint by police and jailed on the orders of Cynthia’s estranged husband, who had heard about the relationship and apparently saw an opportunity to make some money.

davidscottcyn.jpg

Cynthia and baby Janina on the flight from the Philippines

When their child was born just a few days after getting bail British Embassy officials told the couple that under Philippines law Cynthia’s estranged husband was the father. Everywhere they went the couple was faced with demands for cash. They finally had to buy themselves out of the country through Immigration.

In fact this was a financial merry go round with seemingly almost everyone wanting a piece of the action. Luckily friends back home manage to raise to cash for David and Cynthia and their case was taken up by a sympathetic British M.P.

Having escaped to Bangkok David and Cynthia spent half the time at my home and half the time with my colleague Andy Chant, while DNA paternity tests were done and the Home Office in the UK finally relented and agreed to admit the family into Britain and notified the British Embassy to issue the relevant visas.

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/view-story.php?sid=411

Seen the promo should be interesting

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

My experience in Manilla:

I used to travel there almost on a weekly basis from Bangkok. My passport got lost/stolen. I went to the embassy on a Thursday afternoon. They informed me me that I had to have a police report. That was a joy getting that. I filed police reports and all that is required by the US embassy. I went to the US embassy over there near the hospital. They said tommorrow Friday is a holiday here. On the following Monday they gave me a new passport. No flights back to Bangkok at that point.

No they say I need an entrance stamp on my new passport, which of course I don't have. I paid 3k pesos to some guys uncle that I knew who was a customs officer.

I checked out of the Shangri-la and checked in to Oakwood, which was very nice. PLDT didn't help me at all. Glorietta was nice.

On Monday I got a new US passport, but too late to fly back to Bangkok. I had to go to the Foreign ministry and pay some guys uncle 5000 pesos to get a stamp. The top two floors had been burned down in the previous days.

Point being, that place is a mess and a nice place at the same time. EDSA sucks. At least in BKK they have highways. Manilla only has 1..

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

No one is above the law, ideally speaking. Sadly, this is not always true esp in our country, the Philippines where people say rules are merely suggestions/optional for those who have the money. My heart goes out to Scott and Cynthia, especially their baby. It's sad that they got "picked out" and was sampled for the implementation of this law. But it's still the LAW.

Personally, I don't think cheap annulment (with the guise of divorce) will solve most marital problems. Better, stricter implementation of the present laws will help protect majority of the citizens including married individuals.

However, I prefer to be pro-active and help educate people to wait for the right person and choose wisely for their future partners or else face the consequences of their decisions including possible imprisonment or complicated paper work for their "second" marriage. This is just my stand.

I do wish them the best in life. :)

TIMELINE:

Feb 01, 2011 - Sent I-129F to Texas Lockbox

Feb 07, 2011 - I-129F Received

Feb 19, 2011 - NOA1 (Mail)

May 13, 2011 - NOA2 (e-mail notice)

May 17, 2011 - NOA 2 (Mail)

May 28, 2011 - Got case number after 2 weeks of waiting

May 30-31, 2011 - 2-day Medical at SLMEC (without the NVC letter, just the MCN)

July 01, 2011 - Interview (APPROVED despite delayed documents!)

July 14, 2011 - Picked up visa from 2Go Main

July 15, 2011 - Bought one-way ticket for first time immigrant (rate)

July 18, 2011 - CFO at SMEF-COW

July 31, 2011 - Flight to the US! (Finally!)

My blogsite: www.neighborlj.blogspot.com

No one is above the law, ideally speaking. Sadly, this is not always true esp in our country, the Philippines where people say rules are merely suggestions/optional for those who have the money. My heart goes out to Scott and Cynthia, especially their baby. It's sad that they got "picked out" and was sampled for the implementation of this law. But it's still the LAW.

Personally, I don't think cheap annulment (with the guise of divorce) will solve most marital problems. Better, stricter implementation of the present laws will help protect majority of the citizens including married individuals.

However, I prefer to be pro-active and help educate people to wait for the right person and choose wisely for their future partners or else face the consequences of their decisions including possible imprisonment or complicated paper work for their "second" marriage. This is just my stand.

I do wish them the best in life. :)

This is not about the law, or stricter implementation of the present laws but about greed and corruption. You have cockroaches like delfino, local police and more then likely immigration officials who see foreigners as a feed bag!

Timeline

sjr09-> Greed and corruption will always be present whether Manila or Washington or Moscow. It's human nature. Some countries/gov't are just better at implementing their laws compared to the Phil that's why illegal activities/officials are not as rampant as in Manila. There will always be cockroaches or Delfinos or crooked cops wherever you are.

Not everyone in the Philippines sees or treat foreigners as feed bags. That's a sweeping statement/generalization. Just like NOT all foreigners see Filipinas as mail-order brides or social climbers or other derogatory stereotypes.

TIMELINE:

sjr09-> Greed and corruption will always be present whether Manila or Washington or Moscow. It's human nature. Some countries/gov't are just better at implementing their laws compared to the Phil that's why illegal activities/officials are not as rampant as in Manila. There will always be cockroaches or Delfinos or crooked cops wherever you are.

Not everyone in the Philippines sees or treat foreigners as feed bags. That's a sweeping statement/generalization. Just like NOT all foreigners see Filipinas as mail-order brides or social climbers or other derogatory stereotypes.

My comment was not about, 'not everyone sees or treats foreigners as feed bags', mail-order brides, social climbers or other derogatory stereotypes. You made the sweeping statement and generalization of the Philippines.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the UK !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

My comment was not about, 'not everyone sees or treats foreigners as feed bags', mail-order brides, social climbers or other derogatory stereotypes. You made the sweeping statement and generalization of the Philippines.

You have cockroaches like delfino, local police and more then likely immigration officials who see foreigners as a feed bag!

I apologize if I misunderstood your comment. We do pray and hope there will be less "cockroaches" in the police force and immigration and the rest of the gov't offices so cases like these will be minimized if not eradicated. :)

TIMELINE:

You have cockroaches like delfino, local police and more then likely immigration officials who see foreigners as a feed bag!

I apologize if I misunderstood your comment. We do pray and hope there will be less "cockroaches" in the police force and immigration and the rest of the gov't offices so cases like these will be minimized if not eradicated. :)

:thumbs:

A couple who fled to safety in Bangkok after being banged up in the Philippines on adultery charges are to feature in ‘Locked Up Abroad’ on National Geographic Television this week.

David Scott, from Swindon, Wilts, and Cynthia Reyes, from Manila, made their break for freedom after colleague Andy Chant and myself took up their case in the media in the UK.

At one time it seemed their backs were completely against the wall. Divorce is of course illegal in the Philippines, but if you have a lot of cash it is possible to get an annulment provided both parties agree and one party admits to be mentally unbalanced.

Scores of Filipinas and foreigners may be committing adultery every day as many women in the sex trade have broken, but still legal, marriages. Cynthia was decidedly not in the sex trade. She was actually head of housekeeping at a hotel in Dubai.

DavidScottEmb.jpg

David, Cynthia and baby Janina outside the British Embassy in Bangkok after getting the good news

David and Cynthia had met on the internet and he flew out to meet her in Manila. She got pregnant and when he flew back for the birth both were arrested at gunpoint by police and jailed on the orders of Cynthia’s estranged husband, who had heard about the relationship and apparently saw an opportunity to make some money.

davidscottcyn.jpg

Cynthia and baby Janina on the flight from the Philippines

When their child was born just a few days after getting bail British Embassy officials told the couple that under Philippines law Cynthia’s estranged husband was the father. Everywhere they went the couple was faced with demands for cash. They finally had to buy themselves out of the country through Immigration.

In fact this was a financial merry go round with seemingly almost everyone wanting a piece of the action. Luckily friends back home manage to raise to cash for David and Cynthia and their case was taken up by a sympathetic British M.P.

Having escaped to Bangkok David and Cynthia spent half the time at my home and half the time with my colleague Andy Chant, while DNA paternity tests were done and the Home Office in the UK finally relented and agreed to admit the family into Britain and notified the British Embassy to issue the relevant visas.

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/view-story.php?sid=411

I watched the documentary on NG last night .It was very touching . It shows how love can previal despite all the odds against them .

-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

01-17-2015 = N-400 packet sent (to P.O. Box Dallas via USPS Priority Mail)
01-21-2015 = N-400 packet delivered
01/25/2015 = E confirmation / Text received

01/26/2015 = Check cashed .

02/02/2015 = NOA1 received (Priority Date 01/21/2015)
02/09/2015 = Biometrics Letter received .

02/18/2015 = Biometrics

02/20/2015 = In line for interview

04/10/2015 = Interview Letter received .

05/11/2015 =Interview .

05/11/2015 = Passed Interview
07/01/2015 = Oath letter received
07/24/2015 = Oath Cerememony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.