Nick & Lily

K1 dependent children

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My Fiancee just received her K1 visa yesterday. We had planned on her coming to US and we would spend some time by ourselves then marry, before bringing out her boys (10 and 17) be a family However she was told by the consulate that she must bring the ten year old with her because he is on her visa. I am trying to understand what difference it could make if she brings him on her visa now or 2 months from now? Anyone who has done anything similar?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Better to just follow the instructions given by the consulate.

N400

Filing based on 3yrs/USC Spouse. 3 year residency anniversary is in August 2014. Filed immediately after the 90-day early filing mark (May 2014)

05/06/2014 - Mailed N-400

05/15/2014 - Check cashed

05/12/2014 - NOA Date

06/11/2014 - Biometrics Appointment

09/15/2014 - Inline for interview scheduling (was stuck in "Initial Review" for over 3 months!)

10/27/2014 - Scheduled for interview

12/01/2014 - Interview

12/19/2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN!

Timeline

Does the ten year old have his own passport? If he does not, and is on his mom's passport, I imagine that is the reason.

BTW, watch the age of the 17 year old- things will be easier if he gets into the country and you and his mom marry before he is 18.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

My Fiancee just received her K1 visa yesterday. We had planned on her coming to US and we would spend some time by ourselves then marry, before bringing out her boys (10 and 17) be a family However she was told by the consulate that she must bring the ten year old with her because he is on her visa. I am trying to understand what difference it could make if she brings him on her visa now or 2 months from now? Anyone who has done anything similar?

First, congratulations!

I am posting this quote from the US Department of State website for your information. Good luck!

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html#16

Are My Children Required to Travel with Me?

Your children may travel with (accompany) you to the United States or travel later (follow-to-join). Like you, your children must travel within the validity of their K-2 visas. Separate petitions are not required if the children accompany or follow to join you within one year from the date of issuance of your K-1 visa. If they want to travel later than one year from the date your K-1 visa was issued, they will not be eligible to receive K-2 visas, and separate immigrant visa petitions will be required. If your child has a valid K-2 visa and you have already adjusted status to that of permanent resident, your child may still travel on the K-2 visa.

September 7, 2009 - met Lena online
October 20, 2010 - First Meeting in Kharkov
Oct 20, 2010 - Engaged
December 3, 2010 - Filed I-129F
December 16, 2010 - NOA-1 notification
December 30, 2010 - Second Visit to Kharkov
February 8, 2011 - Touched
April 18, 2011 - NOA-2 notification
April 18, 2011 - Petition at NVC
April 25, 2011 - Medical Exam
April 26, 2011 - Received at Embassy
April 27, 28, 29, 2011 - Repeat medical (passed medical)
May 5, 2011 - Packet #4 received by mail in Ukraine
June 17, 2011 - Interview scheduled 9:00 AM
June 17, 2011 - Visa approved
June 18, 2011 - Interview Review posted
July 11, 2011 - POE - Detroit
July 17, 2011 - Applied for Marriage License
July 17, 2011 - Applied for SSN
August 17, 2011 - Married in Russian Orthodox Church - Detroit
November 11, 2011 - Submitted AOS/EAD/AP
January 3, 2012 - NOA 1
February 7, 2012 - Still no Biometrics appointment
February 10, 2012 - Service Request - no Biometrics appointment to date
February 29, 2012 - Infopass appointment Detroit (no Biometrics appointment letter - over 40 days)
March 9, 2012 - Biometrics
March 12, 2012 - EAD card production email received
March 23, 2012 - EAD received
March 24, 2012 - AOS interview appointment for April 24, 2012 (Detroit)
April 24, 2012 - AOS approved!
May 2, 2012 - 2 year provisional Green Card received
June 2, 2012 - First job - Russian Kindergarden in Oak Park, Michigan

Feb 5, 2014 - I-751 sent

Sept 19, 2014 - RFE

Nov 3, 2014 - Case moved to Detroit Field Office

Dec 29, 2014 - ROC Interview - Detroit Field Office

Feb 16, 2015 - I-751 approved after 2nd interview

Feb 18, 2015 - I 551 stamp in passport

Mar 5, 2015 - 10 year Permanent Resident Status

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does the ten year old have his own passport? If he does not, and is on his mom's passport, I imagine that is the reason.

BTW, watch the age of the 17 year old- things will be easier if he gets into the country and you and his mom marry before he is 18.

actually that 18 yr old issue is not one that affects a K-1

YMMV

Timeline

Oh I thought AOS/ citizenship was easier for the kid if parents were married before the 18th birthday, my mistake!

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.