Specvlvm

Girlfriend Visiting with Tourist Visa

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Honduras
Timeline

My Girlfriend is coming to visit me on September and she already has a Tourist Visa(visa type: R B1/B2). She is young (21 years old) and still studying at college back in Honduras. Is it a good idea to even mention that she's visiting her boyfriend considering what I just mentioned? I'm concerned that she might get turned away once already here. She is just visiting me, we are not planning on getting married yet and she will go back to Honduras once her visit is done, I just don't know how the Immigration Officer might take it.

thanks in advanced

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

There is always the possibility of getting turned back at POE for variety of reasons, and this is not unique to people visiting boyfriends, fiances, family etc. SO one can only hope. On her own part let her bring evidence of strong ties to her home country: Evidence that she is studying, that she has family back home, anything to show this is just a visit and nothing more.

N400

Filing based on 3yrs/USC Spouse. 3 year residency anniversary is in August 2014. Filed immediately after the 90-day early filing mark (May 2014)

05/06/2014 - Mailed N-400

05/15/2014 - Check cashed

05/12/2014 - NOA Date

06/11/2014 - Biometrics Appointment

09/15/2014 - Inline for interview scheduling (was stuck in "Initial Review" for over 3 months!)

10/27/2014 - Scheduled for interview

12/01/2014 - Interview

12/19/2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN!

My Girlfriend is coming to visit me on September and she already has a Tourist Visa(visa type: R B1/B2). She is young (21 years old) and still studying at college back in Honduras. Is it a good idea to even mention that she's visiting her boyfriend considering what I just mentioned? I'm concerned that she might get turned away once already here. She is just visiting me, we are not planning on getting married yet and she will go back to Honduras once her visit is done, I just don't know how the Immigration Officer might take it.

thanks in advanced

OMG... i think ur situation somewhat resembles mine. im planning to visit my husband in NJ too....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I wouldn't say it unless specifically asked- never lie to immigration, but do not volunteer info either. What will you two do while she is here? Any sight-seeing? If so, she should say that.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

No matter how it is said, the officer will get the information they desire to make that decision!

I went to visit my wife in december as we were to get married in january, i was lucky in that I could preclear imm/customs in Ireland before arriving as a domestic passenger in New york.

However the questions asked, I told the truth and if asked if I was to get married I would have said yes.

What has to be realised is when you hand in your forms if applicable one of the very first questions is nature of visit, then where are you staying, who lives at that address? do you have property? how much money do you have on you? These are all questions to establish intent or not as the case may be and we have all been through it! So you see where the questioning is going and they get the info they want.

Just be confident when speaking and be truthful! If they ask if you have money on you, say yes (if you do) do not prolong the questioning by saying" Yes I do and I have xxxx amount on me and a credit card and can acsess more if required, just give them the info they ask for!

If a lie is told and is found out, then its a lifetime ban!! no waiver for that!

Filed: Country: Honduras
Timeline

Sight-seeing is the idea, it is basically a touristic visit, but with her boyfriend! What would be good evidence that she has strong ties to our country? I know any sort of certification from college is one, maybe pictures of her family? what else would be good?

I wouldn't ask her to lie neither because eventually we might want to get married but is just the way to answer the questions without rising any sort of idea that she would want to stay.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.