casiperuano

DS-156 clarifying questions

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Just so everyone knows before we begin, there is a new DS-156 Form as of June 2011. I can't seem to find any accompanying instructions for it. Here is the link to the actual location of the new form.

I have a couple of clarifying questions:

Question 14: National Identification Number. Is that the beneficiaries ID number from their respective country?

Question 26/27:How long do you intend to stay?

Purpose of the trip? Does indefintely and to enter the USA to marry and fulfill K-1 visa sound ok?

Question 32/33:Do you intend to work in the US? Do you intend to study in the US? If the answer is eventually once we have gone through the change of status should we put that here? I currently have indicated Yes; After marriage and with change of residence status.

Question 36:Has anyone ever filed an immgrant visa petition on your behalf? Should I put yes since I am currently doing this or is this asking for prior to this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

14) Is only if YOU yourself have a National Identification Number (I'm thinking almost like Dual Citizenship or Citizenship with another country that gives you a NIN.)

26/27) I wrote forever.. Maybe I should've been a little more formal but I was just like NEVER LEAVING! :P

32/33) I put I don't PLAN to work or study in the USA because I'd think that might raise a little flag due to the fact that you could just be marrying someone to come study and stay.. I still want a SSN though just in case in the future I plan to work, but my current PLAN is not to work or study at the moment.

36) This question you only answer yes to if you've previously had someone file a petition on your behalf. Not the one you're doing now, but any previous attempts they must know about.

Hope this helps!

The DS-156 form on the London embassy website is still the old one. Thats the one I filled out because it generated the barcode. Do you think they will still accept it? Im sending out my forms tomorrow.

TIMELINE

2 0 1 1

3rd Feb - 129f Sent

10th Feb - NOA1

16th May - NOA2

8th August - Interview in London. APPROVED!

29th August - POE at SFO

7th Oct - Married

10th Oct - AOS Filed

17th Oct - NOA Letter(s)

20th Oct - Biometrics Letter (for 14th Nov)

28th Oct - Biometrics (walk-in)

2 0 1 2

3 Jan - Service Request Put In

13 Jan - EAD Approved

17 Jan - Interview Notice Received

24 Jan - EAD in hand

16 Feb - Interview Date. APPROVED!

2 0 1 3 / 2 0 1 4

21 Nov - ROC Filed

2 Dec - NOA

6 Jan - Biometrics (walk-in)

15 May - Card Ordered / Approved

The DS-156 form on the London embassy website is still the old one. Thats the one I filled out because it generated the barcode. Do you think they will still accept it? Im sending out my forms tomorrow.

Call the Consulate. They were ok with it when I asked, but just call and make sure. :)

2010 K1 December Filers: December Filers Citizenship Help

---
Let's get this Citizenship party started:
Dec 28. 2011 - Sent AOS Forms
May 15. 2012 - Green Card in Hand
Jun 12. 2012 - Our 1st Baby was born! :)

Oct 14. 2014 - ROC approved.
---

08/16/2015 - Looking into Citizenship process!

Click Here for a detailed timeline of our K1 Journey.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I sent my DS-156 and my daughter's DS-156 out before the new ones rolled around so they already have my file together, I'm not sure what they will say from old forms.. I haven't seen the new one posted anywhere either.. *shrug*

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Just so everyone knows before we begin, there is a new DS-156 Form as of June 2011. I can't seem to find any accompanying instructions for it. Here is the link to the actual location of the new form.

Hi, can you post the link to the new DS-156, thanks.

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Haha yes of course, got so excited with my question forgot to post the link :)

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/108128.pdf

So then in Question 14, no need for a ID if I am a natural-born citizen and she has never been to the country or have any family?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello!

I found myself with the same doubts, so I checked online for a website that could help me with instructions ... the link below helped me a little bit:

http://www.***removed***/

Good luck to everybody.

Dave & Carol :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

1-11-11 - I-129F Mailed.

1-18-11 - Check Cashed.

1-24-11 - NOA1 Hardcopy received.

5-06-11 - NOA2 Hardcopy received!!!!!!

6-02-11 - Packet 4 received.

6-07-11 - Medical Appointment.

6-11-11 - Vaccines ok!

7-19-11 - Interview = APPROVED!

7-22-11 - Passport with visa received.

8-12-11 - Arrived in US!!! (POE = ATL international airport)

9-24-11 - We got married!

9-30-11 - AOS, EAD and AP applications sent by mail.

11-7-11 - Biometrics done.

Dec 11 - Received EAD, AP and AOS on mail!

Dec 11 - Name changed on SSN and BMV!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.