dwheels76

DCF, ME and My husband

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Okay I am new so bare with me. I am married to my Nigerian husband. I am currently living in Nigeria. I need to start the VISA process to bring my husband home with me but have a few issues.

What do we do since I am not employed in the states? No real bank savings. But I can get employed so as I get bank thats no issue. Just need to know does all that have to be done?

I will be starting work here in Nigeria soon so saving up money will not be an issue but what is the expected amount needed to be in ones account to satisfy immigration do they say?

Also what are all the forms I need to fill out and send?

Again let me state I live in Nigeria now with my husband. So I would be filing from here.

Thank you

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Welcome to VJ!

You have three options as you are not currently working:

- Go back to the USA as soon as the I-130 has been approved, find a job quickly, send paystubs and letter from employer to your husband in time for his interview. Finding a job quickly may be difficult in the current climate.

- Find a co-sponsor; a US citizen or greencard holder who will stand guarantoor for your husband (that is what most DCFers do)

- Sponsor on assets; use your savings, property, 401K etc. You can only use assets which can be easily liquidated without undue hardship (so a only car is unlikely to be accepted), and must have three times as much as the income guideline; ie if it;s just you and your husband- no kids or other dependants- you'd need around $57'000.

As an aside, in case you are not aware, you must file US taxes even while living abroad unless you made under the IRS threshold.

For the forms to send, check out our handy Guides above.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

WOW love the timeline really gives me a visual. Thank you. It looks like from start to VISA at least about 6 weeks. Thats cool. And I figured with the job thing I would have to show support. I should have no issue getting work once I get back. I hope while I am here to at least work and get monies put away so when I get back get a place setup for everything.

Now have gone through the guides but gosh seems I keep finding another form I need. Okay its just me the US Citizen and him the Nigerian citizen No kids. Now I have heard there's a form request to have your spouse come while the VISA/Green Card process is underway.

So far I have found that I will need to complete these forms.

1. I-130

2. G-325A for me and Him

3. I-129F

4. DS-230

5. I-864

6. DS-2053 (his medical)

Want to get the I-130 on their way now. I want to file in US even though I am in Nigeria.

Thank you again for the help. It is much apprecated. What a great site.

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

You do not need to file the I-129F; you are thinking of the K3, which is obsolete; you will go for the CR-1.

You can apply via the USA, but then your process will take significantly longer (10-12 months).

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Om MY. 10-12 if I file through US? I guess I better keep my butt here and do all the filings than. Oh good no I129. So this NOA1 form what is it? I see that mentioned alot here and there. And you have on your timeline packet one and packet 2.

I would gather I don't need to worry about DS-2053 until interview time. Personally I want o be here for he entire process even the interview. I will start on forms now.

I also am working on this end my own permanent residency for Nigeria. Wow this is not fun. Congrats to your process. Thank you

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

With DCF, you can leave the country after the I-130 has been filed, though to be on the safe side, I'd wait till it has been approved. You do need to have legal residency in a foreign country for 6 months- Nigeria in your case. A tourist visa is not enough, in most cases you need a long term work or living visa (checkl with your local US embassy for their requirements). So if you do not have legal residency yet, you may need to wait a while to file and it could end up being (almost) as fats to file via the USA.

NOA1/2 doesn't really apply in DCF cases, or at least not in the same way (every embassy does DCF a little differently). It's basically a notice that they received your case, but in many DCF cases, you either file the I-130 directly at the embassy, or they just mail you back the next set of paperwork rather than a receipt notice. In US filed cases, NOA1 also means you can look at the progress of your case online, which is not the case with DCF.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

I truly thank you for all your information and support. Man I am so glad my friend on Facebook suggested this site this has been a blessing. I think I got it all together and you are right might as well send to US and file. By the time things get all approve and stuff I should have my 6 months in and we can proceed over here. I figure its going to take 10 months to a year away so might as well start now.

Well hopefully I got all my questions answered and next time I will be posting my success stories.

Thank you again. Penguin_ie :thumbs:

ROC I-751

N-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.