12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi VJ's, I just found out that my USC fiancée was suppose to send proof of relationship along with our petition when she first mailed it which she didn't as she only sent our petition without any proof of relationship and I am wondering if we would get denied. Pls what do we do?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You do not need proof of relationship with your petition. Proof of relationship can (and from my understanding usually is) asked at the interview stage, but not required with the intial K-1 submission. I have read that some people include proof of the relationship with their K-1 packets but it does not seem as if this helps or hurts the K-1 process.

So don't worry about it. You still have lots of time to get the proof together in time for the interview.

Met online - 12/2008

Met in Person 1st Time - 2/2009

Engaged - 12/2009

Filed I-129F - 3/27/11

Received Electronic NOA 1 - 4/7/11

NOA 2 - 6/29/11 (83 days from NOA 1)

RFE 8/15/11 (Needed proof that Fiancee is in Canada legally, Philippine citizen)

Packet 3 - 9/6/11

Packet 4 - Never Received

Interview 12/1/11

Sending proof of "ongoing relationship" is NOT required by USCIS. Sending proof of having physically met within the last two years IS required (passport stamps, boarding passes, flight itineraries, etc)

Alot of people send much more than necessary to make their petition look stronger. It typically isn't important as long as you send everything else that is required in the directions.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This is correct. Proof of having met is a requirement (pictures, copies of the visa stamp in passport, hotel bills, etc). If this was not included in the submission than I would ask fellow VJ members how they went about getting the evidence to the processing center.

I read some people waited until they received NOA 1 and mailed in the information they new was missing with a copy of the NOA 1 form so the additional information can be placed in their file. Some say to wait until you get an RFE (Return for evidence) and then mail in what they are requesting with the paperowrk that is sent in the RFE.

Either way, your application will not be automatically denied for not having everything together. It will be delayed, can be a significant delay, but not an automatic denial.

Met online - 12/2008

Met in Person 1st Time - 2/2009

Engaged - 12/2009

Filed I-129F - 3/27/11

Received Electronic NOA 1 - 4/7/11

NOA 2 - 6/29/11 (83 days from NOA 1)

RFE 8/15/11 (Needed proof that Fiancee is in Canada legally, Philippine citizen)

Packet 3 - 9/6/11

Packet 4 - Never Received

Interview 12/1/11

I read some people waited until they received NOA 1 and mailed in the information they new was missing with a copy of the NOA 1 form so the additional information can be placed in their file. Some say to wait until you get an RFE (Return for evidence) and then mail in what they are requesting with the paperowrk that is sent in the RFE.

Sending additional documentation without an RFE isn't recommended. There is no guarantee anything will be matched up with your file.

In addition to that, technically, it isn't allowed. Yes, some people that have forgotten something major from their petition have sent it anyway (without an RFE) and seem to have it work out in their favor. However, I'd hold off and do it the right way. If you do receive an RFE (which you shouldn't for having not sent proof of ongoing relationship) it will likely only add a few weeks to your timeline - but allow you to gather EXACTLY what the CIS adjudicator wants to see.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Let us pray that they will just send you RFE letter than denied, if that's the only one missing "proof that u met in person" they could probably give some considerations to that and ask from u to send it, just ready the documents and keep on checking your case status.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sierra Leone
Timeline

Someone ot denied few days ago becus she didnt send any proof....They probably would send rfe and ask for more imformation...Goodluck

K-1 mailed March 10

NOA1- March 14th

NOA1-Hardcopy recieved March 18th

NOA2 August 12th

Waiting for NVC to assign case number!..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

They did mailed NOA1 a week after we filed our petition and we currently waiting for NOA2 even though she hasn't sent in our proof of relationship, I called to tell her this today cos I was worried but she told me she is in control that everything is on the right track but what I don't know is when are we to send in our proof of relationship.

Thank you

They did mailed NOA1 a week after we filed our petition and we currently waiting for NOA2 even though she hasn't sent in our proof of relationship, I called to tell her this today cos I was worried but she told me she is in control that everything is on the right track but what I don't know is when are we to send in our proof of relationship.

Thank you

Bring it with you to the interview.

Again, the only thing USCIS is concerned with is whether or not you have physically met within the last 2 years. Everything else is considered by the consular officer at the embassy.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Bring it with you to the interview.

Again, the only thing USCIS is concerned with is whether or not you have physically met within the last 2 years. Everything else is considered by the consular officer at the embassy.

If the VO feels like they want to deny the visa application, they must do so on the basis of information previously not available to USCIS.

Everything you send with the petition, goes to the consulate, and they see it before the P3 is sent out.

So the more proof of relationship information you include, the less latitude Visa Officers have to make stuff up out of whole cloth ,,,

"Not a bona fide relationship" sometimes seems as if it includes "Visa office woke up on the wrong side of the bed today". So if the application were to get white-slipped and the petition sent back to the Service Center, strong proof of relationship makes it easy to challenge the denial, and avoid having to overcome your fiance being permanently blacklisted from entering the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.