toshjoshtt

Question about overstay

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi guys

in 2007, i was in usa for 3 months + 60 days under vwp.

I know the consequences about overstay are :

- between 180 days/ 1 year = not allowed for 3 years

- more than 1 year = 10 years

- less than 180 days = obligation Visa , no more vwp.

I will plan to go to usa this summmer for vacation.

I will ask VISA B2 to my embassy. I dont know how long i want to stay yet. one month or two? ( no I am not asking u lol )

I have a question about what it can happen once in usa:

When I go with a visa , the border officer will send me automatically to an office for interview and check/debate if i can enter?

or it depends, just asking me about the overstay and say like " dont try again or u are done" ?

I went 5 times in usa, it was my first problem I got in 2007 ( coz i had to help someone who got problems and i couldn't resist or say no , yeah it was a girl)

i think i will buy return ticket to prove I want to go back to france, not staying... ( well, it doesnt mean it proves it but maybe it can be positive)

I didnt stay "that" long .. if they allow a guy after 10 years to enter, why i stress for my 60 days .. but we never know ...

do u think coz the overstay, and getting a visa, i should stay just few weeks instead of months?

any guys who got experience about interview coz overstay?

I really hope if i have the visa I can enter without problem !

thanks

something I was wondering : the fact to change passport, meaning getting new passport number, how can they know about the overstay?

It's all in the system - your full names, DOB, addresses. You're usually required to bring all old passports with you to visa interview. And yes, your overstay does matter - 60 days is certainly too much - they mind even if it is just one (1) DAY! - had you not overstayed, you could've still used VWP - now that's never an option for you as you don't care enough to follow the rules for entry without a visa.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Timeline

When I go with a visa , the border officer will send me automatically to an office for interview and check/debate if i can enter?

or it depends, just asking me about the overstay and say like " dont try again or u are done" ?

It's likely you'll be refused entry. Or you may not even get that far because they may not issue you a visa.

something I was wondering : the fact to change passport, meaning getting new passport number, how can they know about the overstay?

You would have received an arrival/departure record (I-94) when you entered the country. At some point in your departure it would have been removed and the date of your departure recorded.

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

First you need to get a B2 Visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Timeline

You are mistaken.

Yes, once you overstayed you will need a B2 in order to enter the US again. But, if you have a history of overstay, it is very unlikely that they will issue you a B2 visa. Keep in mind, many people who have a perfect background have a lot of problems to get a B2 in the fist place, because the consular people are drilled to assume that the person seeking a tourist visa will overstay. In your case it's a given. In fact, if you overstayed for 60 days, I'm willing to bet that you won't get a non-immigrant visa to the US anytime soon. That has nothing to do with a bar; that's plain and simple the discretion of the consular officers.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.