pawel85

Please help, question about embassy and consualte

14 posts in this topic

My Fiance lives in south Poland and she was told by the consulate that she belongs to Krakow's consulate based on her location.

Consulate is in the south part, and embassy in the north part. In Poland K-1 interviews can only be held at the Warsaw embassy.

She also told me that they told her at the consulate that the petition gets first forwarded to Krakow's consulate from NVC and then they send it to Warsaw embassy because of where she lives. I assume that if she would be living in the north then the petition would go straight to Warsaw embassy.

I'm curious if this is true. Because when I called NVC they said that they always forward cases to embassies not consulates.

Now on the 1-129f, I put for the last question that my fiance will apply for visa at Krakow consulate and on my NOA2 notice it says that the case will be forwarded to the consulate in Krakow. Back then, I didn't know that k-1 interviews can only be done at the embassy in Warsaw.

So, now once the case will leave the NVC office, is it going to be send to the consulate first and then to the embassy, or is it going to go straight to the embassy from NVC (as NVC claims)? Who should she be calling to check if the petition was received the consulate or the embassy?

I know that rules are a little bit different for all countries, but has anyone had a similar situation in theirs?

Thanks for help

Edited by pawel85

My Fiance lives in south Poland and she was told by the consulate that she belongs to Krakow's consulate based on her location.

Consulate is in the south part, and embassy in the north part. In Poland K-1 interviews can only be held at the Warsaw embassy.

She also told me that they told her at the consulate that the petition gets first forwarded to Krakow's consulate from NVC and then they send it to Warsaw embassy because of where she lives. I assume that if she would be living in the north then the petition would go straight to Warsaw embassy.

I'm curious if this is true. Because when I called NVC they said that they always forward cases to embassies not consulates.

Now on the 1-129f, I put for the last question that my fiance will apply for visa at Krakow consulate and on my NOA2 notice it says that the case will be forwarded to the consulate in Krakow. Back then, I didn't know that k-1 interviews can only be done at the embassy in Warsaw.

So, now once the case will leave the NVC office, is it going to be send to the consulate first and then to the embassy, or is it going to go straight to the embassy from NVC (as NVC claims)? Who should she be calling to check if the petition was received the consulate or the embassy?

I know that rules are a little bit different for all countries, but has anyone had a similar situation in theirs?

Thanks for help

I think it would not actually matter all that much. Once the application gets to Warszawa or Kraków, the first thing that would happen is they would send a packet of information with the documentation you have to have ready, nothing is sent at this time, except the form itself informing the embassy you have all documents (fyi, you can get that form before hand -we did- so you can save time and have them ready). Only then an appointment is made and a second packet of info is sent, with among other things, the panel physicians that can do the medical exam (which you can also get before hand -we have-). I wouldn't think it matters who send the packet of information.

Of course, we are dealing with the government here, so there is a chance that the application goes to Kraków and then forwarded to Warszawa for actual processing, but I'd think that could only add a few days. And yes, I know every day counts...we are in the same boat as you, our application just got to Warszawa last week.

It is possible however to tell where it was sent (there is a trick, called the DHL trick also documented here, and works like a charm, I could tell exactly when and where my application was until received in Warszawa.

Good luck and best wishes!

Forgot to mention that the Embassy site has been re-done and there is a lot of contact info in there...

(http://poland.usembassy.gov/poland/contact_plu.html)

you can even call them in...the catch is the is 4.88 złoty per minute form Poland or from the US at 22 złoty for 7 minutes...., but there is also an e-mail address specific to this type of visa

Edited by Gosia & Tito

Thanks for help

Just checked the Embassy site and it says:

"The Immigrant Visa Unit in Warsaw processes all categories of immigrant visas for residents of Poland" and the K-1 is listed under Immigrant Visas (even though technically is not); so I think all processing will occur at Warszawa. The NVC would likely correct where it is send, regardless of where you said.

Thank you so much.

Wielkie dzieki za pomoc :)

Wydaje mi sie ze oni to od razu przesla do Warszawy z NVC. Kazdy udziela innych informacji. W konsulacie w Krakowie powiedzieli ze petycja przyjdzie do nich bo narzeczona mieszak na poludniu a oni pozniej przesla do Warszawy, ale moze ta osoba co to poweidziala sama nie wiedziala. W NVC powiedzieli ze od razu do ambasady wysylaja petycje, czyli to jest Warszawa. Na NOA 2 pisze ze to consulate byla przeslana czyli Krakow. Ech... Jeszcze skubance zbieraja pienaidze za zwyklad informacje.

Jak NVC przesle do Polski petycje, to oni dadza mi jakis Tracking Number na DHL zebym mogl sprawdzac gdzie ona jest? Jeszcze raz dziekuje za pomoc. Pozdrawiam.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

Your petition will automatically be forwarded to the appropriate embassy, no worries at all. I had the same problem, I listed Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan as the embassy where my fiancee would interview not even realizing that all immigrant visas are processed in neighboring Kazakhstan. I didn't have to contact anyone to correct the error.

Thank you so much.

Wydaje mi sie ze oni to od razu przesla do Warszawy z NVC. Kazdy udziela innych informacji. W konsulacie w Krakowie powiedzieli ze petycja przyjdzie do nich bo narzeczona mieszak na poludniu a oni pozniej przesla do Warszawy, ale moze ta osoba co to poweidziala sama nie wiedziala. W NVC powiedzieli ze od razu do ambasady wysylaja petycje, czyli to jest Warszawa. Na NOA 2 pisze ze to consulate byla przeslana czyli Krakow. Ech... Jeszcze skubance zbieraja pienaidze za zwyklad informacje.

Jak NVC przesle do Polski petycje, to oni dadza mi jakis Tracking Number na DHL zebym mogl sprawdzac gdzie ona jest? Jeszcze raz dziekuje za pomoc. Pozdrawiam.

Sorry, my Polish is pretty basic, but I think I got it (and I can't really write in Polish). Many times, you will get contradictory information even from the Embassy/Consulate.

I believe you are correct and NVC will send it to Warszawa directly, the main reason I say this is because when I lookup my application, I had never seen anything sent to Kraków! (anything going to Kraków goes to Warszawa first).

The web site was pretty clear to me, that is why I noted that the interview will be in Warszawa. As for the DHL tracking number, NVC does not get you one; here is what you do (I didn't come up with this, other members did):

1. click on this link ---> http://track.dhl-usa.com/TrackByRef.asp?nav=TrackByRef

2. Using the date provided from NVC of when your case left NVC, (in our case it was May 20 2011). Enter reference number as : EXP 20 MAY 2011A exactly as is with the spaces and uppercase

3. Put in a range of dates in the next field of information and click TRACK. In our case, I used From May 19 to May 23 (because it was a Friday). The key here is when the package was ready to be sent, because it is done the day before, so in fact our application actually was picked up on May 23, but was ready on the 20th

After that you will get a list of packages sent from the Department of State on that date. Look for the country where your interview will take place. In our case, I looked for Warsaw, and I found a package on page 2 of that list. You can then click on the red tracking number for more details of the package sent and it will tell you if it has been delivered or just arrived to the DHL facility in that country etc.

If you don't know the date (because NVC does not update things until the application has been sent), you can play with dates. IN case you see more than one going to Warszawa (which is not very likely), it is not possible to tell, but at least you will know when they arrived.

One more thing, you want to keep calling NVC until they tell you the application is sent, because they will be able to tell the new case number, that will be 'WRW' followed by numbers. That is the number you would need to use when dealing with the Embassy in Warszawa.

Good luck

Your petition will automatically be forwarded to the appropriate embassy, no worries at all. I had the same problem, I listed Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan as the embassy where my fiancee would interview not even realizing that all immigrant visas are processed in neighboring Kazakhstan. I didn't have to contact anyone to correct the error.

Thank you

Yup - for residents of Poland - the US Embassy in Warsaw is the only interview location for the K-1.

It happens to be an Embassy, but NVC certainly does send cases to Consulates (albeit not in the case of Poland and many other countries) - Frankfurt Germany is a Consulate for example (the US Embassy is - now - in Berlin.)

VJ's Embassy Info

VJ's Member Reviews of Embassies

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I can concur with this from the Mexican embassy situation as well. I thought it would be in Mexico City, but turns out it can only be in Juarez. I talked with both the USCIS and NVC people and they said not to worry, they always know where they're supposed to send it to regardless of what we write on the petition.

Hey guys what's the difference between an embassy and a consulate anyway?

07.24.09 Met in Mexico.

03.18.10 Began dating via internet.

07.10.10 Arrived in Mexico, 2nd trip.

12.16.10 Returned home to US. Last time I've seen him :(

12.20.10 I-129f sent to Dallas.

12.28.10 I-129f received.

12.30.10 NOA1

05.04.11 NOA2

05.07.11 Received hardcopy NOA2 in the mail.

05.31.11 NVC receive.

06.02.11 NVC sent.

06.02.11 Consulate Received.

06.13.11 Packet 3 Received.

06.13.11 Packet 3 Sent. (i.e. submitting DS-260 and filling out and printing DS-156 and DS-156K)

06.14.11 Scheduled ASC and interview.

07.10.11 Departure to Mexico City.

07.11.11 Mexico City to Juárez.

07.12.11 Medical

07.13.11 ASC appointment

07.14.11 INTERVIEW! and APPROVED!! :)

07.21.11 Visa in Transit.

07.22.11 Visa Ready to be Picked Up @ DHL.

07.23.11 Picked up visa @ DHL.

07.23.11 Crossed border to El Paso.

07.24.11 Flight to Boston and FINALLY IN MY ARMS AGAIN!!! Thank you Lord!

09.17.11 Married!

09.27.11 Sent in papers for AOS

02.13.12 Received RFE

I called the NVC office today and they told me my case was forwarded last Friday, woo hoo!.

The girl on the phone was really nice and she told me it went straight to the embassy in Warsaw.

Sorry, my Polish is pretty basic, but I think I got it (and I can't really write in Polish). Many times, you will get contradictory information even from the Embassy/Consulate.

I believe you are correct and NVC will send it to Warszawa directly, the main reason I say this is because when I lookup my application, I had never seen anything sent to Kraków! (anything going to Kraków goes to Warszawa first).

The web site was pretty clear to me, that is why I noted that the interview will be in Warszawa. As for the DHL tracking number, NVC does not get you one; here is what you do (I didn't come up with this, other members did):

1. click on this link ---> http://track.dhl-usa.com/TrackByRef.asp?nav=TrackByRef

2. Using the date provided from NVC of when your case left NVC, (in our case it was May 20 2011). Enter reference number as : EXP 20 MAY 2011A exactly as is with the spaces and uppercase

3. Put in a range of dates in the next field of information and click TRACK. In our case, I used From May 19 to May 23 (because it was a Friday). The key here is when the package was ready to be sent, because it is done the day before, so in fact our application actually was picked up on May 23, but was ready on the 20th

After that you will get a list of packages sent from the Department of State on that date. Look for the country where your interview will take place. In our case, I looked for Warsaw, and I found a package on page 2 of that list. You can then click on the red tracking number for more details of the package sent and it will tell you if it has been delivered or just arrived to the DHL facility in that country etc.

If you don't know the date (because NVC does not update things until the application has been sent), you can play with dates. IN case you see more than one going to Warszawa (which is not very likely), it is not possible to tell, but at least you will know when they arrived.

One more thing, you want to keep calling NVC until they tell you the application is sent, because they will be able to tell the new case number, that will be 'WRW' followed by numbers. That is the number you would need to use when dealing with the Embassy in Warszawa.

Good luck

The girl on the phone told me it left on June 3.

So I'm entering EXP 03 MAY 2011A on the DHL website and I'm putting the date range from June 1 to June 7 and I'm getting a message that

"No shipments found. Please revise criteria and resubmit."

Do I need to wait couple more days?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thank you so much.

Please stick to English in the non-regional forums... :thumbs:

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Good luck

Ok I think I see it !!

The NVC told me it was forwarded on June 3

I did a search by EXP 03 Jun 2011A

It shows there was a petition sent on June 6 to Warsaw. So I think it was ready on the 3 and send on June 6, like it was with your?

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.