ridgid

WORK PERMIT

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good day everyone. My fiance will arrive in US next week via Fiance Visa. Can we ask for a work permit as soon as she arrive or we have to wait for the AOS? And also approximately how many weeks/months before she can start working?

Thank you for the response. Have a blessed day.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Good day everyone. My fiance will arrive in US next week via Fiance Visa. Can we ask for a work permit as soon as she arrive or we have to wait for the AOS? And also approximately how many weeks/months before she can start working?

Hi,

I believe you can technically apply for a work permit before you do the AOS stuff but it takes about 90 days to come and costs a lot (I think about $350-400 but I'm not sure) so it's not worth it!

The best thing to do is file for AOS as soon as you have your certified copy of your marriage certificate, and then it usually takes 60-90 days for the work permit and travel authorization to come. Mine arrived only about a week before my AOS interview so I never ended up using them as the green card is used for both of those things.

Congrats on your fiancé arriving next week! :thumbs:

Emi

Shawn is the Yank, Emi is the Brit.

Late 2000 - We met online

01/04/09 - We became a couple :)

02/27/09 - We met in person for the first time!

09/05/09 - Shawn proposed in London! :)

K-1 Visa Process:

02/05/10 - Petition mailed to CSC

03/31/10 - Petition approved!! Yay!! :)

06/15/10 - Medical in London

08/10/10 - INTERVIEW - VISA APPROVED!

09/03/10 - POE: Philadelphia

10/15/10 - Our Beautiful Wedding!

AOS Process:

11/15/10 - AOS package mailed

12/14/10 - Biometrics

02/10/11 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!

02/19/11 - Green card received!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi,

I believe you can technically apply for a work permit before you do the AOS stuff but it takes about 90 days to come and costs a lot (I think about $350-400 but I'm not sure) so it's not worth it!

The best thing to do is file for AOS as soon as you have your certified copy of your marriage certificate, and then it usually takes 60-90 days for the work permit and travel authorization to come. Mine arrived only about a week before my AOS interview so I never ended up using them as the green card is used for both of those things.

Congrats on your fiancé arriving next week! :thumbs:

Emi

Agreed with first post. It is cheaper to file all at one time ($1070.00). AOS, EAD, & AP. If you file them separately, it will cost more. But, here is information for you read about just filing for EAD.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3ead

Good Luck

Edited by John & Mari

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Filing for the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) before AOS will cost $380, and it will expire when her I-94 does. It is a waste of money. File for it at the same time as AOS and the fee is waived. You can also file for Advanced Parole(AP) at the same time as well(fee also waived). Send all 3 at the same time, and it will cost $1070. It will be about 2 or 3 months before she would have the EAD and be able to work.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

ONLINE JOB WITOUT GREEN CARD..IS IT ILLEGAL?

hI everyone! I just wanted to hear fom you guys if what is the right thing to do about this online job whick is ESL online tutoial. I don't have my work permit yet so as my green card.wat do u guys think?Should I accept the offer?I know I cant't work yet but i want to earn some money and be useful. I don't want anything that might affect our application!!! Any help will be highly Appreicated!! thank you very much

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.