thetreble

State Department Trying to Make Getting a US Passport More Difficult

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This application will not be required of everyone, just those with irregular birth recordd.

This application is primarily directed at home birth situations near the southern border. They are trying to document the claim to citizenship. there has been lots of controversy on "mid-wife" birth documents in the border states.

The fact that it is selective, however, and there are no guidelines outlining who would and who would not have to fill out the form with more questions it not lawful. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's prejudice. It's not someone's fault that their mother, for example, had a home birth. Who cares?

In a lighter note, geez, passport renewal is easier, thank the Poutine Gods...

Amen. I sent mine in a few weeks back. Got it back in 10 days! Awesomes.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know when I got my US passport it was really easy all the info they asked for was stuff that was already on my birth certificate....(which was easy to obtain also)....so I could understand maybe putting some more safeguards in place.. (Don't you need a guarantor or something like that to get your passport in Canada??) but that form is INSANE.. and as usual.... WAAAAYYYYYY overboard and just screams of racial profiling.....*sigh*.....I hope that doesn't pass....

Timeline

(Don't you need a guarantor or something like that to get your passport in Canada??)

Not anymore, if you fit under a certain guideline, someone who is Canadian and has had a passport for more than a certain amount of years can sign it. Does not have to be a doctor/lawyer/dentist etc or really anyone that knows you.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

The fact that it is selective, however, and there are no guidelines outlining who would and who would not have to fill out the form with more questions it not lawful. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's prejudice. It's not someone's fault that their mother, for example, had a home birth. Who cares?

Apparently the State Department cares.

An applicant bears the burden of establishing his/her identity and citizenship, and the Department may require an applicant to submit such additional evidenceof identity and/or citizenship as it deems to be necessary. 22 C.F.R. §§ 51.23, 51.40, 51.45. The procedures for establishing an applicant’s identity and citizenship are outlined in 22 C.F.R. part 50, subparts B and C.

The legal authorities under which the information is requested include, but are not limited to the following:

22 U.S.C. § 211a et seq.;

Executive Order 11295; and

22 C.F.R. Parts 50 and 51.

Timeline

Thanks Tips.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Section C: Information for Non-Institutional Births or Delayed Birth Filings

If you were not born in the United States skip Items 5-12 and continue to Section D. If you were born in the United States,

you must complete Items 5-12 if you answer "No" to either of the questions below

Born outside the U.S. you don't answer those stupid questions

Timeline

Interesting - although why make people born outside the US answer fewer questions? Maybe they assume they already have the dirt on us since we've been through immigration?

Cripes I couldn't answer all the questions about past employment - all except 2 places that I've worked don't even exist anymore. I wouldn't remember names or addresses either. As for my mum's info, I could answer it probably (my parents have lived in the same place since before I was born. But my mum wouldn;t remember details....why not ask for a long form birth cert?

Stoooopid

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I was just checking out the proposed new form and it says this at the top of Section C:

"If you were not born in the United States skip Items 5-12 and continue to Section D. If you were born in the United States,you must complete Items 5-12 if you answer "No" to either of the questions below. Was your birth recorded within one year of the date your birth occurred? Were you born in a medical facility?"

so if you were born in a hospital and your birth was recorded within a year of your birth you don't have to answer the questions in that section...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I really hope this isn't for people who have passports already. If it was imagine how impossible that would be. Come on, the work history one is funny. 99% of peoples old work places would be gone out of business or closed or merged, there would be no phone numbers, who the hell remembers supervisors and even addresses? I think most my old companies no longer exist anymore...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.