John*&*his*GG

how many in household

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance and I will be using a co-sponsor. I was wondering how number of the household is determined. Is there certain definitions or if you have 25 people living in your house they all count? Like for example if your sister and her husband pay rent over 25 years old both have jobs do they count? Not the case in our house only an example. Do only my fiance, myself and the co-sponsor count or anyone and everyone that lives in the co-sponsor household? Thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It's not necessarily based on who lives together (you wouldn't count a room mate, for example), but on who is dependent on eachother, plus the immigrant. Usually that is just husband, wife, and minor kids (even if said kids are with an ex and do not live with you), but it could also be other people if they are financially dependent on you, for example if the sister you mention above is disabled and the co-sponsor claims her on his taxes.

If you explain your particular situation, I am sure we can help determine the household size.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

It's not necessarily based on who lives together (you wouldn't count a room mate, for example), but on who is dependent on eachother, plus the immigrant. Usually that is just husband, wife, and minor kids (even if said kids are with an ex and do not live with you), but it could also be other people if they are financially dependent on you, for example if the sister you mention above is disabled and the co-sponsor claims her on his taxes.

If you explain your particular situation, I am sure we can help determine the household size.

Well my fiance will be living here with me and my mother (the co-sponsor) then there is also 3 kids (not mine) here. My sister who is older than me she is 35 doesn't pay rent. Then my cousin in his 20s who is in the military and isn't here all the time. I assume the kids will count but what about my cousin and sister?

Well my fiance will be living here with me and my mother (the co-sponsor) then there is also 3 kids (not mine) here. My sister who is older than me she is 35 doesn't pay rent. Then my cousin in his 20s who is in the military and isn't here all the time. I assume the kids will count but what about my cousin and sister?

Do you know how your mother is filing her taxes? (As in who, if anyone, is listed as a dependent? )

And is it safe to assume the co-sponsor is not sponsoring anyone else (if so, they will need to be added them as well).

See How Do I Count Household Size

Timeline

Do you know how your mother is filing her taxes? (As in who, if anyone, is listed as a dependent? )

And is it safe to assume the co-sponsor is not sponsoring anyone else (if so, they will need to be added them as well).

See How Do I Count Household Size

Ok my sister is over 21 but is a dependent does she still get listed as household? She does right?

Ok my sister is over 21 but is a dependent does she still get listed as household? She does right?

Yes, I believe so - if listed as a dependent on mom's return.

"any other dependents listed on your most recent Federal income tax return,"

Minimum Requirements

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes if she is a dependant, she gets listed.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Thanks. Looks like we will be 7 because one of the kids is a foster child and is not a dependent. I'm not concerned with the income because we are well over that. I just didn't want to put the wrong number down. Thanks for helping me figure it out.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Also if they have any outstanding affidavits those people count ( people that aren't yet USC, haven't worked 40 quarters, are still alive and still in country )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.