edward toro

I really need help for this one.

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

OK the problem is the following:

I have a brother but he is not related by blood. My mother took care of him when he was a child after his biological mother passed away.

My mother will travel to the states in few months and I he will be left alone. He just turned 21 not married.

I was thinking to try a student visa. I have a very good income (thanks GOD) and I could be his sponsor.

I am a partner at the company I work for. A work visa could work I guess.

A tourist visa is a difficult one. He is a full time student. Any assets are under my mother's name and I don't see the embassy too happy with our story.

Please any ideas will be highly appreciated.

USCIS Journey

I-130 Filed: 04-01-2009

NOA1: 04-09-2009

I-130 Approved on Nov 19, 2009

NVC Journey Dec. 2009

Dec 4: wife's case was entered at NVC

Jan 08: Sing in failed......wow thanks GOD. Jan 11: CASE COMPLETE TOTAL TIME 24 BUSINESS DAYS OR 38 CALENDAR DAYS FOR CASE COMPLETE.

Feb 5: Interview date scheduled. Interview on March 23, 2010

Embassy Journey 1.0

March 23, 2010: Interview date. Wife placed on AP, Baby required new birth cert.

April 21, 2010: Wife out of AP she needs to get an approved I-212 from USCIS, Baby birth cert. issue resolved.

I-212 Waiver @ USCIS Journey

May 10, 2010: Filed form I-212

Sept. 9, 2010: I-212 Approved

Embassy Journey 2.0

Sept. 22, 2010 New Interview date.

Sept 22, 2010 VISA APPROVED.

Waiting for visa to arrive at Cali-Colombia.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

OK the problem is the following:

I have a brother but he is not related by blood. My mother took care of him when he was a child after his biological mother passed away.

My mother will travel to the states in few months and I he will be left alone. He just turned 21 not married.

I was thinking to try a student visa. I have a very good income (thanks GOD) and I could be his sponsor.

I am a partner at the company I work for. A work visa could work I guess.

A tourist visa is a difficult one. He is a full time student. Any assets are under my mother's name and I don't see the embassy too happy with our story.

Please any ideas will be highly appreciated.

If your mother never adopted him then there's no petitionable family relationship. Neither you nor your mother could petition for him under any family visa category.

A student visa would only allow him to remain in the US as long as he's attending school. A student visa doesn't provide any path to permanent resident status.

Most work visas are only available for people who have skills in a field for which there is a shortage of workers in the US. This would require you to get a labor certification from the Department of Labor before filing an I-129 petition for an alien worker. Unless he's got exceptional knowledge and skills, and can qualify for an H1B, most work visas do not provide any path to permanent resident status.

A B2 tourist visa allows an alien to visit the US for up to six months, but not work, and not attend school full time. A tourist visa doesn't provide any path to permanent resident status.

The common theme in the above is that the majority of visa types you're considering will only allow him a limited amount of time in the US, and will not result in him ever being eligible for a green card. Given that fact, what's the point of trying to bring him here? Forgive me if I've got the wrong impression, but it almost sounds as if you're thinking about any way to get him "in the door", and then you intend to just have him stay after his status expires.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

I did not remember VJ to be this hostile. Anyway. You did get the wrong impression. I am not trying to get him to the States so he can become one more illegal alien. That's not the point. I am looking for legal ways for him to remain with his only family at least until he finish school and gain some tools for a better future (University diploma etc etc).

He does not need to work. And actually, We are not even looking for a path for permanent residence (if that comes along the way fine but that's for another topic) Just trying to give him more time with his family.

USCIS Journey

NVC Journey Dec. 2009

Jan 08: Sing in failed......wow thanks GOD. Jan 11: CASE COMPLETE TOTAL TIME 24 BUSINESS DAYS OR 38 CALENDAR DAYS FOR CASE COMPLETE.

Embassy Journey 1.0

March 23, 2010: Interview date. Wife placed on AP, Baby required new birth cert.

April 21, 2010: Wife out of AP she needs to get an approved I-212 from USCIS, Baby birth cert. issue resolved.

Embassy Journey 2.0

I did not remember VJ to be this hostile. Anyway. You did get the wrong impression. I am not trying to get him to the States so he can become one more illegal alien. That's not the point.

I am looking for legal ways for him to remain with his only family at least until he finish school
and gain some tools for a better future (University diploma etc etc).

He does not need to work. And actually, We are not even looking for a path for permanent residence (if that comes along the way fine but that's for another topic) Just trying to give him more time with his family.

You stated that he was 21, if that is true then he would not be attending a regular public school. You will have to attain a student visa for a private school.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I did not remember VJ to be this hostile. Anyway. You did get the wrong impression. I am not trying to get him to the States so he can become one more illegal alien. That's not the point. I am looking for legal ways for him to remain with his only family at least until he finish school and gain some tools for a better future (University diploma etc etc).

I don’t think VJ members are hostile in anyway, but when they see the trend where one person gains entry to the country then bring in the next family member and next and so on……….. is what bothers ppl.

If he is over 21 and no blood relation, it’s difficult.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm not trying to be hostile. Look at the title of the subforum you posted this in - "Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America", in the subsection "Family & Marriage Based US Visa Immigration Discussion". People who post in this subforum are US citizens looking for advice in helping their family members immigrate to the United States. There are other subforums for people looking to come to the US as non-immigrants for various different reasons. I took into account the possibility that this might not be your ultimate objective, which is why I said "Forgive me if I'm wrong". :blush:

If you can afford to provide financial sponsorship for him, and pay his foreign student tuition, then it sounds like a student visa is the way to go. He'll get to spend more time with his family, and he'll get the education he needs to get a good start towards a career.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Thank you very much.

USCIS Journey

NVC Journey Dec. 2009

Embassy Journey 1.0

Embassy Journey 2.0

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.