sameersi

AOS Interview Experience - Advice Needed

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I am in the US on an F-1 visa and I am married to a US citizen. I filed for concurrent AOS in January and I had my interview yesterday (May 25th) in Los Angeles. Our interview was scheduled for 1:00pm and we arrived around 30 minutes early. We were called into the room at around 1:15pm.

The IO asked for our IDs and swore us in. She then asked for the standard documents (birth certificate, passport, marriage license, etc). While she was reviewing the documents, she asked us to pull out four items which prove that our marriage is bona fide. I gave her a copy of my car registration with both our names, bank statements from our joint account, joint car loan document, and join auto insurance document. She then asked us the basic identification questions as well as the standard questions regarding previous arrests, firearm, prostitution, etc. While talking to us, she was marking up our application with red ink the entire time. I guess the IO was satisfied with our joint-life documents as she didn’t ask any questions about how we met, how long we’ve known each other, etc. The only question she asked was whether I paid rent. I told her that I live in the condo which my USC wife co-owns with her father. She asked if I was on the title of the condo, and I responded “no, not yet”. She then lectured my wife about the importance of putting me on the title in case she died. After that, she took my I-94 card and canceled my F-1 visa in my passport.

The IO stepped out of the room for 2 minutes and came back with our IDs. She then handed me a piece of paper saying that my case was pending further review. The piece of paper had many items listed, but the only one that was checked off read: “an additional review of your case and/or background check is required to determine eligibility”. The IO also told us to contact them in 180 days if we have not heard anything.

I was pretty surprised by this as I thought the interview went fairly well. She seemed to be pretty satisfied with our documents and answers and not once did she question the validity of the marriage. I was hoping that the interview would end with an approval letter, but I guess that wasn’t to be.

After we left the building, I looked at the piece of paper that the IO handed to us again and I noticed something strange. At the top of the paper, it says: “your petition to remove the condition on residence is pending for the reasons checked below”. The strange part is that my interview was for adjustment of status from non-immigrant (F1) to GC, so I don’t understand why I would get a document about “removal of condition”. The IO did seem to be in a rush, so maybe she printed out the wrong form by accident?

Does anybody have any advice as to how I should proceed? Should I make an Infopass appointment to get this straightened out?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

I am in the US on an F-1 visa and I am married to a US citizen. I filed for concurrent AOS in January and I had my interview yesterday (May 25th) in Los Angeles. Our interview was scheduled for 1:00pm and we arrived around 30 minutes early. We were called into the room at around 1:15pm.

The IO asked for our IDs and swore us in. She then asked for the standard documents (birth certificate, passport, marriage license, etc). While she was reviewing the documents, she asked us to pull out four items which prove that our marriage is bona fide. I gave her a copy of my car registration with both our names, bank statements from our joint account, joint car loan document, and join auto insurance document. She then asked us the basic identification questions as well as the standard questions regarding previous arrests, firearm, prostitution, etc. While talking to us, she was marking up our application with red ink the entire time. I guess the IO was satisfied with our joint-life documents as she didn’t ask any questions about how we met, how long we’ve known each other, etc. The only question she asked was whether I paid rent. I told her that I live in the condo which my USC wife co-owns with her father. She asked if I was on the title of the condo, and I responded “no, not yet”. She then lectured my wife about the importance of putting me on the title in case she died. After that, she took my I-94 card and canceled my F-1 visa in my passport.

The IO stepped out of the room for 2 minutes and came back with our IDs. She then handed me a piece of paper saying that my case was pending further review. The piece of paper had many items listed, but the only one that was checked off read: “an additional review of your case and/or background check is required to determine eligibility”. The IO also told us to contact them in 180 days if we have not heard anything.

I was pretty surprised by this as I thought the interview went fairly well. She seemed to be pretty satisfied with our documents and answers and not once did she question the validity of the marriage. I was hoping that the interview would end with an approval letter, but I guess that wasn’t to be.

After we left the building, I looked at the piece of paper that the IO handed to us again and I noticed something strange. At the top of the paper, it says: “your petition to remove the condition on residence is pending for the reasons checked below”. The strange part is that my interview was for adjustment of status from non-immigrant (F1) to GC, so I don’t understand why I would get a document about “removal of condition”. The IO did seem to be in a rush, so maybe she printed out the wrong form by accident?

Does anybody have any advice as to how I should proceed? Should I make an Infopass appointment to get this straightened out?

Hi! I'm writing because I had a very very similar interview as yours!

Our interview was on Wednesday, the exact same day as you! In Los Angeles as well... was it 300 Los Angeles St?

Maybe we had the same IO??

Anyways, we got there a little early but was a little late to our appointment because the line for security was very long. I know, not the best thing to do but she still took us.

Everything you mentioned sounds like our interview except she didn't even ask about our marriage. (My husband came in with a K-1 visa and we got married in October and applied for the AOS. ) We had so many documents and pictures ready to show her but she didn't ask for it. She barely even asked me any questions.

I have to say she was very intimidating...

She then took his I-94 and canceled his K-1 visa and copied my Drivers license and printed out the same exact letter as yours...“an additional review of your case and/or background check is required to determine eligibility”

So..very similar case to yours and we're very lost as well.

Best wishes for both of us and please keep us posted as to what happens or what you will do!

thanks!

We left very disappointed and confused!

Timeline

Hi! I'm writing because I had a very very similar interview as yours!

Our interview was on Wednesday, the exact same day as you! In Los Angeles as well... was it 300 Los Angeles St?

Maybe we had the same IO??

Anyways, we got there a little early but was a little late to our appointment because the line for security was very long. I know, not the best thing to do but she still took us.

Everything you mentioned sounds like our interview except she didn't even ask about our marriage. (My husband came in with a K-1 visa and we got married in October and applied for the AOS. ) We had so many documents and pictures ready to show her but she didn't ask for it. She barely even asked me any questions.

I have to say she was very intimidating...

She then took his I-94 and canceled his K-1 visa and copied my Drivers license and printed out the same exact letter as yours...“an additional review of your case and/or background check is required to determine eligibility”

So..very similar case to yours and we're very lost as well.

Best wishes for both of us and please keep us posted as to what happens or what you will do!

thanks!

We left very disappointed and confused!

Hi,

Yes, it was the same address.. 300 Los Angeles Street. When did you have your interview? Has your online status changed since then?

Best of luck to you too!! Hopefully we will hear good news soon!

Timeline

Hi,

Yes, it was the same address.. 300 Los Angeles Street. When did you have your interview? Has your online status changed since then?

woops, I just read your post again and saw that your interview was on the same day as mine.. I wouldn't be surprised if we had the same IO! :P

Timeline

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply!

Our interview was Wednesday, May 25th at 7:15am.

I can't exactly remember the room number but it was on the 8th floor.

I feel like I check our online status every 30min's because it's driving me crazy not knowing.

But, our status is still under interview/testing.

How about you? Has it changed?

Timeline

I feel like I check our online status every 30min's because it's driving me crazy not knowing.

Nope, no change. The status still shows "interview/testing" .. Hopefully something positive happens after the long weekend. Best of luck to you! Keep us posted! :)

My experience was the same, my lawyer ended up doing an info pass after 30 days. Have my green card in hand now and have used it to travel to visit relatives in Canada. Just be patient, and best of luck to you.

Here is a summary of my interview experience and I was also interviewed in Los Angeles, hope this helps:

After the interview our lawyer was given a piece of paper from the IO. Please inquire after 30 days. "An adjudicative review is required of your case is needed, No additional required information is from you at this time." The IO was telling our lawyer that this was just for formality and for us to use to follow up on. Our lawyer was saying that within a week we will get a decission and not to worry about it. The IO was telling us that there was no problem for me that we will get approve and that she believes our marriage was true.

Here is a summary of our interview experience:

Got to the LA office and waited for our lawyer in the lobby. Lawyer arrive and we all went up together on the sixth floor, was redirected back to the basement, they were doing renovations. Got to the basement, pack with people and our lawyer handed our appointment paper over. Within half an hour I got called in. Brought my wife and lawyer with me and I introduce them to the IO officer.

1. Swore in by the IO

2. Sat down and handed over our Identifications and Passports

3. Handed over marriage license, my wife and I have been married for five years

4. Ask if we had children we said yes, we said one, asked for daughters birth certificate, asked if she was born in the US, we said yes, ask how old she was, we said 2.5 years

5. Then asked for our joint documents such as bills and deed of trust

6. Then started asking me question about the application such as:

a. When did I enter the country last

b. My parents name

c. And the standard question about crime, organizations, and firearms etc.

We also informed the officer that we have copies of everything. Then she said give her a few minutes to look over the paper work and wait in the lobby for her. Before we left my lawyer asked her if she wanted to look at our albums, pictures, and letters. The officer said no, she said this "I believe these two are married". All in all it took no longer than ten minutes for the interview.

After waiting in the lobby for 10 minutes, she came out and handed over the passport and Identification cards back. She then handed my lawyer the paper mentioned above, and said not to worry they will get approve. I also noticed that I got my EAD card back and that I still have original I-94.

Timeline

Hi yu+mi,

I went in for an infopass appointment today to check if there is any update on my case. I also needed to verify that I am allowed to travel on AP even though my interview has already taken place and my I-94 was taken from me. The officer looked up my case and told me that the case is still pending as they are waiting for additional information. She said that they system doesn't tell her exactly what information is pending, but that because the piece of paper handed to me after the interview said to wait 180 days, it is likely because my background check hasn't cleared.

On the piece of paper that was handed to you after your interview, does it say to contact them after 180 days, or 30 days? That might give you a clue as to what information they are waiting for..

Sameer

Timeline

Hi yu+mi,

I went in for an infopass appointment today to check if there is any update on my case. I also needed to verify that I am allowed to travel on AP even though my interview has already taken place and my I-94 was taken from me. The officer looked up my case and told me that the case is still pending as they are waiting for additional information. She said that they system doesn't tell her exactly what information is pending, but that because the piece of paper handed to me after the interview said to wait 180 days, it is likely because my background check hasn't cleared.

On the piece of paper that was handed to you after your interview, does it say to contact them after 180 days, or 30 days? That might give you a clue as to what information they are waiting for..

Sameer

I was starting to wonder how that info pass works... seems like it'll be pointless for my case then.

the paper was not the same as jj789 (30 days) but like yours. It said to wait 180 days.

What a drag not knowing for that long!!

I hope we both hear from them sooner than 180 days!!

So, are you able to still travel? Hope so!!

Let's keep in touch

Timeline

I was starting to wonder how that info pass works... seems like it'll be pointless for my case then.

the paper was not the same as jj789 (30 days) but like yours. It said to wait 180 days.

Let's keep in touch

Hi,

yes, please let me know if you hear any updates about your case. I will do the same :)

The officer at infopass told me that I should be able to travel abroad using my AP document without a problem. My biggest concern was that since I will be out of the country for approx. 1 month, what happens if my case is approved while I am overseas? The officer told me that I should carry proof that I departed before my case got approved, and they will let me in on my AP. From my understanding, the biggest risk I am taking is if my case gets denied while I am abroad, then I am in major trouble - but hopefully we will never have to cross that bridge, fingers crossed!

Hi you two,

"funny" remark the IO made on your further review info sheet..... don't know what to say about this one, but I also read here that the I-94 was taken and visa got canceled, too - now that is actual a positive sign that you got approved since you have no more need for the visa as well as the I-94, which would normally be taken away when you leave the country as a non-immigrant.

From my own experience up here in NorCal, San Francisco, I got educated about the whole infopass and even when to file for ROC if approved, but the IO didn't take my I-94 replacement nor did she keep my EAD - made me worried of course because majority of people writing here about those items taken from them at the end of interview. That my case got under further review seems to be standard at my office location.

So sit back and relax, at times the interviewing IO made up their mind yet do want/need approval, a signature by their supervisor but that can unfortunately take some time. Don't rely too much on the online status - my wife's I-130 for me is to this day under intial review shown online yet she received the paper acceptance as well me my green card in early February.

:)

Maxximus

10/13/2010 - Mailed in The Package (AOS, I-765, I-130)

10/17/2010 - USPS confirms delivery to USCIS

10/25/2010 - Check cashed

10/26/2010 - All applications been worked on aka touched

10/28/2010 - NOA1 Receipts for applications received

11/24/2010 - Received appointment for biometrics in the mail for 12/17 *yay*

12/17/2010 - 9.25 a.m. - 9.45 a.m. Biometrics done !!

12/23/2010 - EAD Approved and Card on its way - Email notification received *yay*

01/03/2011 - WOOOHOOO ...EAD Card in Hand!

01/04/2011 - Oh boy....Received Interview Letter today - February 3rd is the day! :)

02/03/2011 - Interview scheduled 12:45 p.m. - out of there before 1:30 p.m. - further review

Coming home, checking for touches at 5:30 p.m. - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED !!!!

Thank you All on Visajourney for your inputs, experiences and thoughts!!!

02/09/2011 - Yup another e-mail saying that my card production was ordered.

02/10/2011 - E-mail notification "Approval letter was sent today"

02/14/2011 - Welcome Letter / Approval NOA and Card (separate envelope) received!!! :D

Late November 2012 (have to look up my receipts ;) - mailed in ROC I-751

12/12/2012 - NOA 1, status extension received

12/18/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received

01/08/2013 - Biometrics done

Timeline

Let's keep in touch

Hi everyone,

I have some good news to report regarding my case. Last week (June 1st) I received a status update altering me that production of my card has been ordered! Yesterday (June 6th) I received another update with the same message; based on the experiences of other posters in this message board, this presumably meant that my card was being printed. Then this morning I received another update saying that an approval notice was mailed to me today.

I also made another infopass appointment this afternoon to request an I-551 stamp. I had previously made plans to travel overseas tomorrow to attend a very important ceremony in my home country, Thailand. The plane ticket was purchased many months ago, and I originally intended to travel using my AP, but since my case was approved before I left (thus invalidating my AP), I needed to ask for the stamp. The IO I spoke with was very nice; I explained my situation to her and she offered me the stamp right away (I didn't even have to beg for it!). She looked up my case in her computer to verify that I was actually approved, then pulled out the stamp from underneath her desk and stamped my passport. Now I can travel without any worries and hopefully my green card and welcome notice will be waiting for me once I get back!

yu+mi - has there been any progress in your case since last week? Best of luck!

Hi everyone,

I have some good news to report regarding my case. Last week (June 1st) I received a status update altering me that production of my card has been ordered! Yesterday (June 6th) I received another update with the same message; based on the experiences of other posters in this message board, this presumably meant that my card was being printed. Then this morning I received another update saying that an approval notice was mailed to me today.

I also made another infopass appointment this afternoon to request an I-551 stamp. I had previously made plans to travel overseas tomorrow to attend a very important ceremony in my home country, Thailand. The plane ticket was purchased many months ago, and I originally intended to travel using my AP, but since my case was approved before I left (thus invalidating my AP), I needed to ask for the stamp. The IO I spoke with was very nice; I explained my situation to her and she offered me the stamp right away (I didn't even have to beg for it!). She looked up my case in her computer to verify that I was actually approved, then pulled out the stamp from underneath her desk and stamped my passport. Now I can travel without any worries and hopefully my green card and welcome notice will be waiting for me once I get back!

yu+mi - has there been any progress in your case since last week? Best of luck!

That is awesome news.... Congratulate that you finally made it. ! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Have a nice trip!!! and enjoy it :)

In my case, I have the same situation , I receive letter from I.O that my medical exam was not completed fully. I send them back, hope that's all they need, and I can hear final answer... :yes: :yes: :yes:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.