cmoore25

Visiting during the visa process??

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

I am under the impression that it is okay for me to visit my fiance during the K1 visa process. I live in the USA and will be traveling to Scotland to see him this summer. Are there any things I should be aware of at customs? Do I need to bring proof of the K1 process with me? Proof of a job? Etc? Just want to be prepared!!!

We did not think we were going to be able to see each other this summer - but thankfully it has happened!! I will be visiting him for TWO weeks in August!!! I can hardly wait!!! <3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You're talking about the USC traveling to see the beneficiary, right? In that case I doubt you'll have any problems and shouldn't need to bring any documentation. If you want to be safe maybe bring the NOA1? I visited my fiance in Kenya, and answered (as I always have when going there) that I was going to visit my boyfriend & other friends when they asked why I was coming to Kenya. The only hassle people usually report is when the beneficiary is coming to the US to visit the petitioner, not the other way around.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Filed: Timeline

The only hassle people usually report is when the beneficiary is coming to the US to visit the petitioner, not the other way around.

Have to disagree with the above. Sorry. There are lots of people who have experienced problems visiting their other half in the UK. The same rules apply that way as they do this way. Bring proof of ties, along with your NOA and a copy of your return flight, and be confident that you are not doing anything illegal. Have a great trip!

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I've seen my fiancee about three times since we started the process - never had a problem. Going again in two days :dance:

The last time the customs agent said "Who are you staying with?" And I said "Friends" as it's usually "Business", "Family", "Friends" or "By myself" and that was the one that best fit. He smiled and said "Your girlfriend?" And I said "Yes." He didn't speak English well and my Spanish is not good enough to have a whole conversation on the merits of girlfriend vs. fiancee. So they know that you've applied, I'd imagine.

So it's safe. I've never had any problems. And if there is some question, just be honest.

Not sure why the beneficiary's country would care - you're applying for a visa in the US. Why would they have concerns that you're staying?

Edited by USColombia

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I've seen my fiancee about three times since we started the process - never had a problem. Going again in two days :dance:

The last time the customs agent said "Who are you staying with?" And I said "Friends" as it's usually "Business", "Family", "Friends" or "By myself" and that was the one that best fit. He smiled and said "Your girlfriend?" And I said "Yes." He didn't speak English well and my Spanish is not good enough to have a whole conversation on the merits of girlfriend vs. fiancee. So they know that you've applied, I'd imagine.

So it's safe. I've never had any problems. And if there is some question, just be honest.

Not sure why the beneficiary's country would care - you're applying for a visa in the US. Why would they have concerns that you're staying?

I went 8 times last year while we were waiting for the K-1 and usually mentioned I was staying with my fiancee. It actually got to the point where the Colombian immigration agents would finish the address for me as I was telling them where I was staying. I guess my previous trips were on his screen and it was easier to read it back to me for confirmation than to listen to my tortured Spanish. laughing.gif

That said, I thought about it, too after the first time I got a 30-day visa instead of a 60 day. Toward the end, I was starting to count the total # of days I had been there over the course of the year so I wouldn't go over 180 and I always left well before my visa was up. The closest I ever came was 28 days on a 60 day visa.

I'm sure some countries are a little more concerned about someone overstaying than Colombia is but, in my opinion, having the proof that the intention is for the fiancee to immigrate to the US, along with ties to the US and a return itinerary, should be sufficient in most places as long as all other conditions are met - haven't hit the yearly limit of time, etc. I'm pretty sure the US is the most difficult in that there is the automatic assumption that someone wants to live here.

Edited by ryna

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.