traviesa77

citizenship question about taxes

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

hi all, well I am a permanent resident and I got my gc 10 years, and would like to apply for citizenship when i have 3 of resident and married to USC, and my husband need to pay child support must the file taxes together, well I want to do my taxes alone cause this year, I think its no fair to take away my money for his fault.

could I apply for citizenship next year if i dont do the taxes this year with him, I have those of 2008 (the one I was not married but was not resident permanent), we made together 2009,2010 removed conditions already...

any opinion please thank you

hi all, well I am a permanent resident and I got my gc 10 years, and would like to apply for citizenship when i have 3 of resident and married to USC, and my husband need to pay child support must the file taxes together, well I want to do my taxes alone cause this year, I think its no fair to take away my money for his fault.

could I apply for citizenship next year if i dont do the taxes this year with him, I have those of 2008 (the one I was not married but was not resident permanent), we made together 2009,2010 removed conditions already...

any opinion please thank you

As long as you filed taxes as MARRIED, filing separately, you should be fine.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

As long as you filed taxes as MARRIED, filing separately, you should be fine.

Thank you so much for you answer, this is my concern because if we file together IRS would take my money for his child support, and do i need to write a letter explaining this matter... or only if they ask me about it... i will apply next year but i want to be prepared...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

My understanding about child support is that it is based on the parent's personal income, has a minimum and is ultimately given a set dollar amount by the Judge. The IRS isn't involved in this process one bit, you can't even use that as a claimable expense, nor can you list that child as a dependent. I don't see why you would end up paying for it.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

My understanding about child support is that it is based on the parent's personal income, has a minimum and is ultimately given a set dollar amount by the Judge. The IRS isn't involved in this process one bit, you can't even use that as a claimable expense, nor can you list that child as a dependent. I don't see why you would end up paying for it.

i think what is happening here is that the child support is in arrears,which if that is the case, the irs will seize any and all returns and forward it to the proper child support agency owed...with the husband and wife filing separately, i believe it will protect the wife's irs income return from being seized...and i dont think that i will affect the outcome of citizenship later down the road if filing "married, but filing separately"....

Timeline

i think what is happening here is that the child support is in arrears,which if that is the case, the irs will seize any and all returns and forward it to the proper child support agency owed...with the husband and wife filing separately, i believe it will protect the wife's irs income return from being seized...and i dont think that i will affect the outcome of citizenship later down the road if filing "married, but filing separately"....

Hi guys, thank you so much for you opinion, you are giving me a good choice, "Married filing separately", because the taxes of this year he took all the refund and he doesnt give to us our money for my baby and I, and i am planing make the taxes next year doing with my son... and IRS take he is money only for the child support that he need to pay....

Timeline

Keep in mind that married filing separately has the worst tax rates...

Thank you for the opinion, but this year i made the taxes with my husband and i did not think that he took away from account and he didnot give something for my baby and I, because he need to pay Lawyer, child support for his mistakes.... my son is only 2 months older than the other kid, and my husband want me that i forgive him, but i am thinking about it...

so if i make taxes for me i will have a least my baby refund... i gues....

Hi thank you for your opinion but this case is how Lan and Yenia saying.....

Filed: Other Timeline

You can file separately, but as married, no problem.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

You can file separately, but as married, no problem.

thank you, i will do this option.... but do you think will have a problem when i go to the interview for this matter...?

i made 2009 and 2010 taxes together but this year is the only problem....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.