exxtreme_croquet

B1/B2 Visa - how likely am I to qualify?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm an Australian citizen wishing to stay in America for 6 months to be with my girlfriend.

So I've been doing some research on the B1 and B2 visas, and it seem that I qualify in the following ways:

* I'm staying 6 months or less (working on my degree in Australia at the moment, so once that's done, I can come back on the E3 hopefully)

* I have well and truly enough cash to sustain myself

* I only visited the US once before, on the visa waiver, and only stayed a bit over a month.

* I've never travelled to the east coast, so I have a valid tourist reason for visiting

* I'm planning to visit tech conferences, which is also a valid reason, according to their rules

There's only one issue - they mention that the person must have significant ties outside the US.

I have the following ties to Australia:

* Born here

* Family and friends here

* Done a lot of work here, and have some business concerns here

However, I don't own any property in Australia, and I'd rather not maintain a rental property while I'm gone, as it would be money wasted.

So given the above, do you think I'm still likely to successfully obtain the visa without a long-term rental contract?

Or should I get a rental contract first, to last the full 6 months?

I really don't want to be forced to maintain a rental in Australia, but it would be better than failing my visa application.

Any thoughts?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

If the rental contract you are thinking of entering into would expire when you are due to return, that would work against you.

Hypothetical questions from a CO:

• Why do you need a visa? Why not visit on the VWP?
  • Who or what is sponsoring these conferences? Did they send you an invitation letter?
  • Do these technical conferences go for a span of 6 months?
  • Are you a confirmed attendee?

IMO, you are better off visiting on the VWP. It's not as long but if you were refused a B2, you may not be able to use the VWP at a later date.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm an Australian citizen wishing to stay in America for 6 months to be with my girlfriend.

So I've been doing some research on the B1 and B2 visas, and it seem that I qualify in the following ways:

* I'm staying 6 months or less (working on my degree in Australia at the moment, so once that's done, I can come back on the E3 hopefully)

* I only visited the US once before, on the visa waiver, and only stayed a bit over a month.

* I've never travelled to the east coast, so I have a valid tourist reason for visiting

* I'm planning to visit tech conferences, which is also a valid reason, according to their rules

There's only one issue - they mention that the person must have significant ties outside the US.

* Born here

However, I don't own any property in Australia, and I'd rather not maintain a rental property while I'm gone, as it would be money wasted.

So given the above, do you think I'm still likely to successfully obtain the visa without a long-term rental contract?

I really don't want to be forced to maintain a rental in Australia, but it would be better than failing my visa application.

Any thoughts?

I think in your case it's better to focus on the strong ties that you do have - social and economic ties, and showing that you need to return to complete your degree. A rental contract doesn't seem like a very good tie anyway. Owning property is a strong tie because it makes it more likely that you would return after the end of the visit. Renting - not so much.

You have look at it from the point of view of the consular officer who is trying to decide if you will remain in the USA or return to Australia. How exactly does a 6 month rental contract make you more likely to return to Australia than if you didn't have one? IMO, it's not really a tie, just a waste of money.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

* Born here

Any thoughts?

So to get an E3 even you have to have a degree in a certain field or you have to be sponsored by a company here in the US to be able to work. B2 is feasible but yes you have to show place of residence back in OZ and and employment also . You have to prove that you are only visiting and wanting to visit friends in US don't say girlfriend as that will have a negative on you as they wil ask how long you have known her what are your intent and yes they will ask why not VWP? They will want to know how you can support yourself for 6 months and who you will be living with or based with. If you were back packing or traveling around the states then yes B2 would not be a problem but you have a specific intention and it may or may not work for you.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks very much for all your advice.

The trouble is, if they want to see evidence, i.e. receipts of the conferences, then I guess I have to pay for them first.

So if they reject me, I'll end up wasting a lot of money.

Is there any way around this?

Or do people just take the risk and pay for a lot of stuff, and then cross their fingers hoping the CO will accept them?

As for the tourist aspect, I have a complete plan of which places I want to visit and when, so I'm hoping that would count.

BTW - what if I just went for 3 months on the visa waiver and came back? Could I then go straight back (after a month or so) on some kind of foreign spouse visa (if my gf and I decide to marry)

?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks very much for all your advice.

The trouble is, if they want to see evidence, i.e. receipts of the conferences, then I guess I have to pay for them first.

So if they reject me, I'll end up wasting a lot of money.

Is there any way around this?

Or do people just take the risk and pay for a lot of stuff, and then cross their fingers hoping the CO will accept them?

As for the tourist aspect, I have a complete plan of which places I want to visit and when, so I'm hoping that would count.

BTW - what if I just went for 3 months on the visa waiver and came back? Could I then go straight back (after a month or so) on some kind of foreign spouse visa (if my gf and I decide to marry)

?

Yeah if you go over on VWP and you and your girlfriend decide you want to marry then she petitions for you 129f fiance petition and then you wait for that to be approved 3-5 months and the you have interview and get papers organised in OZ for your interview. You can also visit here on VWP while petition is pending as long as you show strong ties to OZ while you are visiting.

For the B2 visa you have strong enough ties to OZ you don't have to have rental property as long as you have a home address and you have work related and studies still there so you should be able to get that. And even if you stay for 6 months or less and you still decide you want to get married then the same applies you come back home and she files 129f petition for you.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.