mof

AOS from VWP - Approved

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

When I first started this process, I was very eager to find information pertaining to my particular situation. I found that the information that could be found was confusing at best and certainly did not have any calming effect. Thus, I thought I'd write up my experience so that others may potentially benefit from it:

I arrived in the US in 89 as an F-1 student and maintained this status all the way to 2003 - language exchange program, B.A., M.A., and Ph.D.

Met my wife in 2000 and moved in together in 2002.

Wife and I left the US in 2003 to travel - which we did until 2010.

Got married in Costa Rica in 2005.

Had daughter born in Costa Rica in 2008.

I entered the US on VWP upwards of 200 times - almost always with my wife (and later with daughter as well) - never had a single problem or anyone asking any questions. Immigration for us never took more than a scanning of the passports and waiving us through.

Entered US the last time in Sept. 2010 to visit inlaws. Wife decided that she had had enough of traveling and told me she wanted to stay in the US.

I was not enthusiastic about it but finally gave in for the sake of everyone's happiness.

Applied for AOS in Nov 2010 - without a lawyer.

Did biometrics a few weeks later.

Received RFE requesting evidence of having entered the US legally - I had not included a copy of my entry stamp because I had not gotten one at the airport.

Went to Deferred Inspection Station and received missing stamp.

Wrote a brief explanatory note and mailed evidence to USCIS.

Heard nothing for a really long time and finally received interview notice for Atlanta Field Office

Had interview today and got approved. Showed up 20 minutes early, went through security, got an appointment number for the second floor, and IO was already waiting for us upstairs.

Interview lasted 15 minutes and consisted of the most basic questions: Name, date and place of birth. Name of your wife. Name of your child. Have you ever been part of any organization in the US (yes, various honor societies), Are you a terrorist, have you ever worked in the US (yes - taught classes during Ph.D. process), do you currently work (no), what's your address, do you own the home (yes) .

IO looked at some copies of bills, insurances, etc. and also wanted to see our SS cards - which had not been mentioned on the interview note but which I happened to have with me. I have had a SS card since 1989 and that was certainly not an issue. Nor was it an issue that our affidavit of support was basically blank - except for assets of the immigrant, which allowed us to meet requirements. IO was not interested in photos or anything else.

We had our daughter with us and that was not a problem, either.

IO said that she is approving us and that 10-year Green Card should arrive in about a week or so.

The whole interaction was friendly, involved small talk (my wife is loquacious), some laughs and jokes, and an explanation of the road to citizenship. There was absolutely no reason to be nervous about it.

Edited by mof

Congratulations! Glad that everything worked out well. Says a lot about good preparation. My friend was also asked for social security cards.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Congratulations! So happy everything went smoothly for you! :)

02/21/99 Hubby entered with F1 student visa D/S

May 2002 He stopped attending school because he couldn't afford it any longer.

03?/2002 USC sibling I-130 petition

02/2009 Met hubby

08/2009 Sibling petition approved but ineligible to adjust status due to overstay

07/10 Married :)

11/22/10 [day 0]- mailed AOS packet!! should be there by noon 11/23/2010

12/3/10 [day 11]- received email/text notification of acceptance from USCIS

12/3/10 hubby surprised me with a trip to Los Angeles for my birthday...no problems :)

12/6/10 [day 14]- received hard copy NOA1 in mail

12/7/10 [day 15]- checks cashed...ouch

12/15/10 [day 23]- rec'd biometrics appt set for Dec. 28th at 10 am! :)

12/28/10 [day 36]- successful biometrics appt

01/27/11 [day 66]- rec'd interview appt set for March 10th at 10 am :)

02/25/11 [day 95]- rec'd EAD

03/10/11 [day 109]- Interview, Green card approved!! :)

Next Step: Removing conditions in 2 years.

Timeline

Congratulations! So happy everything went smoothly for you! :)

Thank you guys! Yes, preparation is key to calming your mind when adjusting - it gives you confidence (hopefully) that you have sufficient and irrefutable evidence.

Timeline

Today, my Green Card arrived in the mail. Looks like I am done!!!

Thank you all for your help and advice in going through this. I wish you all well and hope that those of you still going through the process have as successful an outcome as I did.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.