Bad_Daddy

Senior banned from prom over conspicuous ask-out technique

10 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110511/us_yblog_thelookout/senior-banned-from-prom-over-conspicuous-ask-out-technique

Wed May 11, 3:56 pm ET

Here's further proof, if any should be needed, that grand romantic gestures are overrated.

High school senior James Tate wanted to impress his friend by asking her to their prom in Shelton, Conn., in a way the whole world would notice, The Connecticut Post reports.

So naturally he went to the school in the middle of the night and taped foot-high pieces of cardboard on its entrance to spell out "Sonali Rodrigues, Will you go to prom with me? HMU Tate." (Gawker says HMU means "hit me up." Kids these days.)

The good news: She said yes! The bad news? Tate is now banned from attending the prom because school officials say he was trespassing and risked his life by using a ladder to put up the romantic request.

"This is really upsetting," Rodrigues told the paper. "It's our senior year and we are supposed to have happy memories, not something like this."

Lucky for the pair, the mayor of Shelton himself is getting involved in their case. Mayor Mark Lauretti told a local Fox affiliate he doesn't think the "punishment fits the crime." And as the tale of Tate's predicament spread on national news sites, 30,000 people have joined a group on Facebook in support of the potential prom date. (Shelton's total population, by comparison, is 40,000.)

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

the entire situation is silly.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

It's the day and age of being "Politically Correct". It's a bunch of bs if you ask me.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

This has absolutely nothing to do with political correctness.
But it IS still shaganappi--as we have no evidence that Shelton High is so strict in enforcement against graffiti/vandalism.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

The guy should get a medal.

Problem is that corporations/government agencies/schools/ngo's and what-have you are so

dominated by lawyers interfering with normal liberties using "what if" rules prohibiting the most

harmess activites, It's like a police state where we are all being protected against doing normal things.

I was shocked to see the town where I used to live tear down a very sturdy stainless steel playground

slide just because they probably thought someone would get dizzy and fall from the top before zipping down.

Those kinds of slides were everywhere in the 50's and nobody thought they presented a hazard then.

Naturally they think they are geniuses when they replace the stainless steel slide with some moulded plastic ######.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

But it IS still shaganappi--as we have no evidence that Shelton High is so strict in enforcement against graffiti/vandalism.

No, not good enough I'm afraid.

The conceited myth that "political correctness" somehow accounts for overbearing health and safety legislation, or nanny-state ideology, is a lie spun purposely by its detractors.

Political correctness is nothing more (or less) than a progressive movement towards a more egalitarian and formally inclusive language, seeking to revise an imperfect and intolerant vernacular left over from the institutionally bigoted societies of the past.

It's an absolute non-sequitur in this context.