pedroh

Was the Hit on Bin Laden Illegal?

67 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

A lot of people voted for Obama in the hopes that the troops would be brought home from Iraq and that Gitmo would be shut down. He said he would and the people went for it. It was a big part of the 'change' mantra.

Back then I was telling people that he was full of #######, but of course the die hards just wouldn't believe that their candidate would turn against them.

I guess you haven't been paying much attention to the troop withdrawals that have been taking place and the reasons for the Gitmo continuation. I may not agree with its continued use- those detainees should be brought to the USA since they are OUR detainees.

Filed: Timeline
A lot of people voted for Obama in the hopes that the troops would be brought home and that Gitmo would be shut down. He said he would and the people went for it. It was a big part of the 'change' mantra.

I thought Obama was very clear on the path forward in Afghanistan (add troops there) and Iraq (draw down troops). He's done both. Gitmo? He needed Congress to get that done and Congress wouldn't support it. I don't know where the campaign rhetoric diverges from the policy in these areas.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I thought Obama was very clear on the path forward in Afghanistan (add troops there) and Iraq (draw down troops). He's done both. Gitmo? He needed Congress to get that done and Congress wouldn't support it. I don't know where the campaign rhetoric diverges from the policy in these areas.

The whole argument on Iraq and Afghanistan 'troop levels' has been the spending as well.

The problem being, while we have pulled 'official' troops out of Iraq, we are still awarding private security contracts in place of that, so the money is still being spent in Iraq. Of course there are many that argue this was part of the whole idea of us getting so deep into the middle east in the first place. A lot of corporate defense companies who want the ability to be there on a long-term basis sucking up American taxpayer dollars.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

The whole argument on Iraq and Afghanistan 'troop levels' has been the spending as well.

The problem being, while we have pulled 'official' troops out of Iraq, we are still awarding private security contracts in place of that, so the money is still being spent in Iraq. Of course there are many that argue this was part of the whole idea of us getting so deep into the middle east in the first place. A lot of corporate defense companies who want the ability to be there on a long-term basis sucking up American taxpayer dollars.

I agree with this point of view on contracts. Perhaps there is some context to that as well that needs to be considered beyond just 'security' firms?

He was clear on the campaign trail - reduce forces in Iraq, beef forces up in Afghanistan and hunt down OBL. He's kept those pledges. In terms of spending, we're down to about $4 billion a month in Iraq from the pre-Obama $15 billion in 2008. That's a significant reduction of more than two thirds. Yes, Afghanistan is costing more with the additional troops there than it did before but then again, there was much clarity around that during the campaign. We can argue about the wisdom of the engagement in both countries - I am not a fan of either - but there can be very little argument about whether or not President Obama did what candidate obama said he would do in this regard.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

gitmo could be closed with an executive order.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Not without the required funding to relocate the inmates. That's where it got stuck. Sure, the President could close the camp and let the inmates make a run or swim for it. Not sure that this is a practical approach, though.

Baloney. The troops at Gitmo could supplement any of several military detention units in the US. Flights go in and out of Gitmo all the time. Perhaps there would be cost saving in the end by eliminating duplication of effort.

Timeline

Baloney. The troops at Gitmo could supplement any of several military detention units in the US. Flights go in and out of Gitmo all the time. Perhaps there would be cost saving in the end by eliminating duplication of effort.

So why wasn't Gitmo closed?

Timeline

Good question. Maybe Eric Holder lost that argument to Leon Panetta.

Or maybe the GOP didn't want Gitmo closed, hence their opposition to transferring detainees stateside.

Or maybe the GOP didn't want Gitmo closed, hence their opposition to transferring detainees stateside.

Yeah, there was a bit of that, from both Parties. I guess there is not a lot of confidence that those alleged battlefield combatants might escape the hangman's noose. Most of the detainees would be released as belligerents, not war criminals, as they should be once hostilities are/were over.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

fail. obama had a democratic controlled house and senate...

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Bin Laden is dead! :dance:

If someone needs to go to jail for it, they can draw straws.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla