AAndy

From J1 to F1 then married

26 posts in this topic

Aandy,

If your wife is truly not subject to the HRR, I would try to get confirmation of that quickly, by a 'Not Subject" statement from Department of State or whomever would issue such a statement, and then and then file a motion to reopen or reconsider her AOS case (not sure the right terminology exactly if it is reopen or rebut or what). Anyway, you can reopen your case for about $500 which is cheaper than the full AOS again. You have 30 days to file this motion from the date of decision on her AOS. I'd look into that if it was some sort of consular mix-up. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Yes, we were denied at interview. Thanks for your kind words, and best of luck to you two! Let us know how the J1 with CWOP goes if you find anymore info.

Definitely, I think I would consider to get a waiver first and then consult with a lawyer. I don't want to go on a wrong path again. If I've know before, I should have gone back home during both winter breaks and got the extra 2 months instead of taking this long way. Cutting costs is a must. So we do need to make sure every step is the best one we can possibly find.

Filed: Timeline

I have known at least 2 people who have applied for a waiver and it was successful. One applied for persecution and the other for no objection.

Question:

How do you prove to USCIS that you have or have not completed the 2 year requirement? Do you have to show tickets? Or do they know from their own system?

Filed: Timeline

I have known at least 2 people who have applied for a waiver and it was successful. One applied for persecution and the other for no objection.

Question:

How do you prove to USCIS that you have or have not completed the 2 year requirement? Do you have to show tickets? Or do they know from their own system?

If your wife's J1 was privately funded she is probably not subject to the 2 year rule. My J1 was a few years back now in 2001 but on the pink copy I was given (and luckily still had at my K1 interview 2 years later) it stated I was not subject to this rule as my J1 was privately funded. Something like that. It was wriiten in small print on the back and there was a section about the 2 year rule and mine was not checked. Does your wife remember ever getting this copy? Surely you will not need a waiver if she was not subject to the rule. Perhaps she could request a copy from the embassy that provided the original J1?

Good Luck

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey,

We were in almost the same situation (J-1 in 1999, then F-1 from 2000 til 2009). After we got married we found out that the AOS application would be denied because I never went back to fulfill the 2 year requirement. So, in March of '09 I went back home. When 1 year was up, we filed the I-130 petition with intent of getting IR-1 visa. Prior to me going back we spoke to a couple of immigration lawyers, who didn't say anything encouraging about trying for a waiver. Look at our timeline, it's pretty self explanatory (right now NVC is in the process of looking into my J-1 visa circumstances, so I know that the 2 years didn't go unnoticed).

bzYip3.png

May 2004- we meet!

09/27/2008- we are married!

03/05/2009- back to Russia for 2-year HRR

02/17/2010- I-130 sent to USCIS

03/01/2010- NOA1

06/02/2010- NOA2

06/09/2010- our case is at NVC!

06/12/2010- receive DS-3032 and I-864 bill

06/19/2010- I-864 bill is paid

06/25/2010- mailed DS-3032 to NVC

07/15/2010- received Immigrant Visa Application Processing Fee Bill Invoice

07/20/2010- Immigrant Visa Application Processing Fee is paid (check cleared)

09/20/2010- call NVC and find out that we can start work on I864 and DS230 packets

02/12/2011- AOS (I-864) packet is mailed to NVC

02/14/2011- NVC receives AOS (I-864) packet

03/06/2011- YAY! Finally, the 2 year HRR is fulfilled![/font]

03/07/2011- IV packet is mailed to NVC

04/07/2011- receive a letter from NVC requesting detailed information regarding the circumstances of my 1999 J-1 visa

04/09/2011- we mail the requested info to NVC along with proof that 2-year HRR has been fulfilled

04/30/2011- Check with NVC- get message "Your case was completed on April 27th. Please allow 8 weeks for further instructions"

05/17/2011- receive notification from NVC: interview scheduled for June 1st!

I think that only means the visa is no longer valid for re-entry, I don't think it has anything to do with the home residence requirement..

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hey everyone...

My wife just informed me we got a letter saying her recently aquired work authorization was terminated and she has 30 days to leave the country! NOT GOOD NEWS! Our immigration officer said she would "contact us" about the waiver in a few weeks. Not send a "get the heck out" letter the following monday!

This is a HUGE let down. We are scrambling to get the right paperwork and to reopen the case, but it's GOVERNMENT. These things take time, yet they only give you 30 days! Any advice????

Thanks for your help and support,

Andy

As I said, you have a 30 day window to reopen the petition. You will need to have your evidence by then that the ruling as in error and that she is not subject to the HRR. Don't panic and stay focused - good luck.

The reason you got the letter about her EAD is because your AOS was denied - therefore all benefits related to it (the EAD) are cancelled. It's just a standard letter, but yes, if you read my earlier post, 30 days is the game.

I don't know why the IO said they would contact you - they denied the AOS, there is nothing to talk about. YOU have to reopen the AOS (pay $$) and show your evidence.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.