jpidgley

Medical Insurance

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Hey guys,

I'm lucky enough to be flying to my POE on sunday, I've made it!

I'm just wondering what kind of medical insurance you guys are getting and where you are getting it from.

Am i right in thinking that we can't use travel insurance as our trip doesn't start and end in the same place (UK for my example)

Also being from the UK we have the NHS that covers everything, so i have no idea how much medical bills cost. how much should my policy maximum be?

i have seen a number of online sites and they all seem to have LOADS of exclusions to the policy. this brings me onto my second question, is it worth buying the temporary insurance with all the exclusions, or is it better to just wait till we can get on our new spouse's insurance?

Thanks

Josh

K1 Visa - 2011

AP & EAD - 2012

Adjustment of Status - 2012

Removal of Conditions - 2014

Naturalization - Pending

I never bothered to get any insurance.. I just brought all the medicine I usually need to get me by till I could get on an insurance plan.. My reply isn't much help I know, sorry. Just wanted to add that you should bring all the medicine that you're comfortable with to the US:) I won't be on any plan until I start graduate school in the fall, crazy I know! Best of luck on your POE, marriage and AOS journey :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

hmmm, i'm thinking more about what i would do if i broke a bone playing sport or was in a car crash, not getting sick. in 20 years neither of those two things have ever happened...but i've always had the NHS lol

K1 Visa - 2011

AP & EAD - 2012

Adjustment of Status - 2012

Removal of Conditions - 2014

Naturalization - Pending

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I'm in the similar situation and would also love some advice on this matter! Having health insurance is extremely important in case of any unfortunate, costly accidents (broken bones, emergency surgeries, etc).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

There are basic online ones that you can pay for. I'd get a basic one that covers things. Unless you have a history of medical issues, that should cover you. I've seen some that are like a $100 a month, I'd go for one of those. However, someone who has actually had that step should offer better information/a reliable source.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As the K-1 is a temporary visa, you can probably qualify for medical insurance issued to British tourists visiting the US. There should be many British firms offering this online. There are probably some American companies that offer "catastrophic" coverage with a high deductible for a short period of time. Have your fiancee check the local yellow pages in the US. Otherwise, it would be a good idea to get married soon after you arrive. After all, an emergency room visit can cost thousands of dollars.....unless you are destitute or illegal. In that case, you don't pay anything. Welcome to the USA ;)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Hey, try just ringing the insurance companies and explaining, I read a post on here a while back from a Brit with a similar question and I think there are companies out there that do this kind of cover I just can't remember what was said. I was planning on getting about 2 months cover, because by then I'll be married and fall under his insurance. I wasnt aware that you couldn't get insured because your weren't coming back to the UK. I'd get decent cover, both times I've been its cost me a fortune but because its America they can be fussy with things. God bless the NHS LOL!!!

Just be really careful until you're covered, maybe stay away from sports for a while.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.