Happy Virus

Interview Today...Frustrated...Approved pending FBI fingerprinting check?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

Today, I had an interview.

The immigration officer approved the case, stamped my passport, took AP and work authorization card. Right before we left, he checked the FBI record and it was not done yet. He crossed out the green card approval on my passport and gave me AP and work authorization card back and told me INS should wait to hear from FBI. He said he will make sure to approve it as soon as he hears from FBI.

Frustrated but happy that I don't need to prepare all those documents again. He said my passport will be enough when they hear from FBI since he already approved me. Told me to make sure return AP and work authorization card when I get green card.

One advice is that please make sure to bring file of last year's tax return and this years W2 because it was everything he asked for. If your spouse has big paycheck, it seems like nothing matters...Just asked two questions, when we got married and where we met...then approved the case...

Frustrated

Happy Virus

P.S. Did anyone have same case? How long does it take? The officer said he doesn't know since FBI doesn't like INS contacting them for 'minor issues' since FBI is 'private' organization?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I didn't think they scheduled the interview until they heard from the FBI and got the thumbs up from them. You now have me concerned. Our interview is a week from tomorrow and I presumed the interview was all that stood between hubby and his green card. :(

Hello,

Today, I had an interview.

The immigration officer approved the case, stamped my passport, took AP and work authorization card. Right before we left, he checked the FBI record and it was not done yet. He crossed out the green card approval on my passport and gave me AP and work authorization card back and told me INS should wait to hear from FBI. He said he will make sure to approve it as soon as he hears from FBI.

Frustrated but happy that I don't need to prepare all those documents again. He said my passport will be enough when they hear from FBI since he already approved me. Told me to make sure return AP and work authorization card when I get green card.

One advice is that please make sure to bring file of last year's tax return and this years W2 because it was everything he asked for. If your spouse has big paycheck, it seems like nothing matters...Just asked two questions, when we got married and where we met...then approved the case...

Frustrated

Happy Virus

P.S. Did anyone have same case? How long does it take? The officer said he doesn't know since FBI doesn't like INS contacting them for 'minor issues' since FBI is 'private' organization?

I didn't think they scheduled the interview until they heard from the FBI and got the thumbs up from them. You now have me concerned. Our interview is a week from tomorrow and I presumed the interview was all that stood between hubby and his green card. :(

They certainly do - there are several members on here that are awaiting clearance post AOS interview. It is the minority outcome though.

Timeline

They certainly do - there are several members on here that are awaiting clearance post AOS interview. It is the minority outcome though.

Thanks...we met with our attorney last week and she did not mention this was a possibility :huh: She told us there would be no problem or hold-up at all....we'd be in and out, with a Green Card to follow shortly. She also told us they didn't always stamp your Passport anymore.

Good luck for your interview tomorrow.

It was very easy process until the FBI thing popped up.

I heard it happens from time to time and does not need to worry.

I am just frustrated.

Just get 2005 W2s and 2004 tax return files ready...better to make copies since the officer had to make copies himself and I felt sorry...

Please bring your wedding album and even though the officer did not look at them, he noticed it and joked saying that I was overprepared...*^^*

I hope everything will be fine...really In and Out for Green Card...*^^*

Timeline
Good luck for your interview tomorrow.

It was very easy process until the FBI thing popped up.

I heard it happens from time to time and does not need to worry.

I am just frustrated.

Just get 2005 W2s and 2004 tax return files ready...better to make copies since the officer had to make copies himself and I felt sorry...

Please bring your wedding album and even though the officer did not look at them, he noticed it and joked saying that I was overprepared...*^^*

I hope everything will be fine...really In and Out for Green Card...*^^*

I have my 2005 W-2 and a copy of our 2005 tax return (already filed). Also up to the second pay stubs. I think the attorney was amused. I had everything in plastic sleeves in a binder and tabbed (marriage license, divorce decrees, financial info etc.) Sorry about your situation.....I hope it resolves quickly :yes:

I work for the Federal Government and in all honesty I know the more organized people are the easier gov't workers make it for them.

Hey, bettenan,

Everything seems great for you.

Forgot to tell you to bring the 'employment letter'. We did not bring it and subsitituted it with pay stub but it was the first thing asked for and wish we had it...

If you are working in the federal government, I think you did not even need to paid for your lawyer. Easy cake...you know...

Edited by Happy Virus

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Many of us have ben waiting for the FBI background check. Some get approved within a month, and some have waited a year. We've been waiting almost 5 months after our AOS interview, and as far as we know it's still pending.

((Success))

Timeline
Hey, bettenan,

Everything seems great for you.

Forgot to tell you to bring the 'employment letter'. We did not bring it and subsitituted it with pay stub but it was the first thing asked for and wish we had it...

If you are working in the federal government, I think you did not even need to paid for your lawyer. Easy cake...you know...

If it were just the paperwork, we would have done it ourselves. BUT we had a situation. Hubby (not hubby then) overstayed on the VWP because we had a (crook) lawyer who told us that he could get an employment based Visa. Well by the time we realized that we'd been taken (but good) it was too late. I was waiting for my divorce to become final and so the saga goes. At that point he had nowhere to go.

So given the circumstances, we thought a GOOD attorney would be worth the $$$$. Most likely if I had done the paperwork myself it would have been OK but we didn't want to risk it.

Thanks for your advise and I wish you good luck.

Also, as a federal employee, I don't have a "real" employment letter. But I have official gov paperwork that I'm sure they will recogize :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

Welcome to the club :crying: ....I don't know what USCIS is thinking scheduling interviews without having such a basic thing as the FBI name check completed. Just another example of the glaring faults in the system. Marina (K-1) was approved at the interview while Carina (K-2) was also approved but the namecheck wasn't back yet so she has been waiting since 10/25/2005.

Just doesn't make sense...but not much does in this process.

FBI a private organization? That's a new one. :huh:

Hope you get your green card fast! Congrats on the approval!

Dave

Thanks to all for the guidance and support and speedy processing to all!

Our Visa Journey Timeline

Marina's parents Nicolai & Galina I-130

01/20/2009 I-130 Petitions package mailed to Chicago Lockbox (priority mail)
01/31/2009 NOA1's rec'd for both petitions
03/16/2009 Approval notices dated 03/10/09 rec'd in the mail for both petitions (no on-line update)
03/30/2009 NVC DS-3032 packets received by petitioner
03/31/2009 Paid $70 AOS (affadavit of support) fee on-line (one fee for both petitions)
04/10/2009 Marina's parent's e-mailed DS-3032 to NVC for both petitions
04/15/2009 AOS documents for both petitions mailed USPS Priority to NVC
04/21/2009 Rec'd e-mails from NVC for approval for Marina to be designated agent for both
04/25/2009 Paid $400 IV (immigrant visa) fee on-line for each petition ($800 total for both parents)
06/04/2009 DS-230 & supporting documents for both petitions mailed USPS Priority to NVC
06/22/2009 Both cases completed at NVC (per automated phone line message on 06/30/09)
07/10/2009 Interview notification e-mail received; both interviews scheduled for 08/11/09
08/11/2009 Interview(s) completed for both parents in Bucharest; visas in hand!
12/21/2009 Nicolai & Galina arrived in the United States as scheduled! (Chicago O'Hare)

Marina's parents Nicolai & Galina N-400

10/21/2014 N-400 applications mailed to Phoenix Lockbox (priority mail)

11/03/2014 NOA1's received for both

11/07/2014 Biometrics letters received for both

11/17/2014 Biometrics completed for both

11/22/2014 Received "yellow letter" for both

01/06/2015 Received "in-line" e-mail for both

01/12/2015 Received interview letter for both (scheduled for 2/10/15)

02/10/2015 Interviews passed for both; waiting for oath ceremony date(s)

03/03/2015 Oath Ceremony in Chicago; two new US Citizens!

That's too bad! Frustrating to see him cross out the stamp, I'm sure! But at least you know you'll be approved once everything clears.

It seems like this is a standard thing now to have approval pending while they do the FBI check. I can't imagine it takes very long.

But congrats on the soon-to-be approval!

Jaaaaamas...

I saw your picture somewhere else in this forum and I thought 'what a cute couple'...

Happy to see you... :dance:

I had biometrics mid-December in 2005 and had interview 2 months later. Maybe it was too soon?

I decided not to worry about it. Waiting for INS takes toll on people, I guess...

Anyways, congraturations for being approved, cute couple!

Edited by Happy Virus

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Our biometrics was scheduled for 12 days after the AOS interview - the officer orderd it for the same day and we got it done. Of course, we now have to wait for them to decide if she is clear and then they will send us the approval letter etc.

FBI - is not a private organization - INDEPENDENT - yes; Private - No. Federal Bureau of Investigation. Note "FEDERAL" - its a Govt. agency. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.