BenjaminUKtoUSA

Help proving it's a bona-fide marriage?

17 posts in this topic

My question is, if we get to the interview process, what items can I bring to prove it's a bona-fide marriage?

Firstly, we have pictures, of the wedding, since it wasn't really planned it was a town hall service, but I've made a promise to my wife (and I intend to keep it) that once I am able to work and support her, we'll save up for a nicer wedding day (and the bahamas)

She recently signed me up onto a phone plan, signed onto her minutes and get a phone with it.This is Verizon. But are we able to add my name to the account?

And due to her supporting me at the minute and herself, we're unable to move from her Mothers home.

WHICH banks will allow us to open a joint account? I have my passport and birth certificate available.

This is all really stressful. Since I'm a VWP I realize that the evidence has to be precise. I know that telling them our feelings for each other and our situation, won't really affect their judgement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2005: Met my wife online, "Habbo Hotel" instantly became friends.

2007: Lost contact with her, as we both lived thousands of miles away.

2010: Regained contact with her, again instantly became best friends.

~At this point we'd talked about visiting the others country~

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS TIMELINE

October 16th 2010: Landed at JFK INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL 2 under Visa Waiver Program.

October 17th 2010: Nicole (now my wife) took me to manhattan and treat me like no other.

November 13th 2010: Got Engaged!

December 17th 2010: We got married!

January 14th 2011: VISA EXPIRED (No AOS papers sent yet)

February 20th 2011: Filed for AOS (Sent in I-130 / I-864 / I-485)

March 7th 2011: Received NOA for I-130 / I-485

March 18th 2011: Biometrics taken

March 26th 2011: RFE MEDICAL

April 12th 2011: Medical Sent (ouch the needles)

April 18th 2011: Medical received my USCIS

April 30th 2011: I-765 (Employment Authorization Documentation) Sent

May 4th 2011: Rejection notice I-765 (I forgot to tick "applying for first card" at top of application)

May 9th 2011: New receipt for I-765 received

June 10th 2011: INTERVIEW DATE / JULY 13th 2011

June 15th 2011: EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED

June 20th 2011: EAD CARD IN HAND

June 22nd 2011: SSN APPLIED

June 24th 2011: SSN IN HAND

July 13th 2011: Adjustment of Status Interview (A P P R O V E D)

July 13th 2011: Email confirmation Card Production Ordered

July 18th 2011: Second email confirmation Card Production Ordered (-.-)

July 19th 2011: Post Decision Activity

July 23rd 2011: Green Card Arrived!!!

Did you include any evidence in your initial submission? You will get to the interview process - it's required for adjusting from a non-K visa.

Anyway, USCIS understands that newlyweds don't have that much evidence. That's why they check on you in 2 years (Removal of Conditions) and see you are still married etc. However, you should be able to produce some things by the time you have your interview. Keep in mind by then you should have an EAD so you can get an SSN and that makes getting joint stuff easier. I would work on getting your name on the Verizon plan. I see you live with her mother, so your mother could write a note that you two live there with her. You would also get affidavits from other friends about your relationship. Receipts for wedding rings? I'd work on adding you to a bank account, but you might need SSN for that (strictly speaking you don't need SSN for a bank account, but it can be hard to convince some banks to do it). What about health insurance? Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Thank you for your advice. We didn't send off the I-765 application, because we were told by the USCIS that the wait time is roughly the same.

I'm sure a letter from her mother won't be a problem to obtain.

Thank you again.

P.S The only evidence we included with our submission is the marriage license.

October 16th 2010: Landed at JFK INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL 2 under Visa Waiver Program.

October 17th 2010: Nicole (now my wife) took me to manhattan and treat me like no other.

May 4th 2011: Rejection notice I-765 (I forgot to tick "applying for first card" at top of application)

Okay, well personally, I would send in the I-765. Rarely is the wait time the same (I have seen a few cases happen like that, but not many). You can send it in now, no fee, with a copy of the NOA1 for I-485. The code is C9. If it comes even a few weeks before your interview, that's a few weeks to get your SSN and start adding to bank accounts etc.

And, the instructions for the I-130 say that while the marriage certificate is the only required information, that you should send in other proof of a bona fide marriage. I think a "should" in the official instructions is a pretty strong indication. You have given your IO no information about yourselves and will therefore have a longer interview because they will have to look at your information when you come in, instead of studying it beforehand. You may get an RFE for evidence of a bonafide marriage. It's too late to send anything in now, so it's water under the bridge now, however. Good luck.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi Ben,

I don't have a letter of interview yet, but I believe they should have a list of suggested documents that can work as proof of a bona fide marriage. This is the list of documents STATED to prove a bona fide marriage in I-130 instructions:

- Documentation showing join ownership or property

- Document showing co-mingling of financial resource.

Most credit unions won't let you open an account with them since they want a SSN. Try Chase if they are available in your area. I was able to put my name to a joint bank account with my husband by opening a new bank account. Keep in mind that your wife HAS to be the primary account owner to share a bank account with you. They may need 2 pieces of your ID (passport, visa or birth certificate in your case should be fine), I-20 (if your here on a student visa). Do this as soon as possible because the interview officer would prefer bank statements to see normal transactions, rather than just an account summary with both of your names on it.

- A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residency.

If you're not moving from her mother's house, have letters/mails/bills with both of your names on it sent to the house. This works as proof of common residency.

- Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marriage.

I remember reading a post by JimandPhuong in this forum about this. Affidavits must be from a 3rd parties, not anyone from both families. People who higher rank and respect in society with make a more efficient affidavits because they won't risk their honor by lying.

- Any other relevant documents to show that there is an ongoing marial union.

If she's working and getting health insurance from work, you can try adding your name to her health insurance. Every time you use insurance card at a clinic office, they would send you a letter of benefit with your name as a dependent in her insurance plan. Buy a car insurance and put both of your names to the plan. The insurance card will have both names on it. Did you file tax this year? You can request a tax transcript from IRS showing that you are "married filling jointly". All of these worked for me and my husband.

- Pictures. That's fine if you don't have pictures of a nice gorgeous wedding. Just honestly tell them you are planning on a nice wedding in the future. My friend did the same thing in her interview and they passed without any stress. How about pictures of you both going out together? Ones that show the development of the relationship? Family pictures in special occasions like Christmas, birthday, family gatherings work too.

Edited by nathan&thuyen

03/24/11: Package I-130 and I-485 sent out via UPS

03/24/11: Found visajourney. Cool, right after I have struggled to get those paper done all by myself.

03/25/11: Package received, signed by Bush :)

03/29/11: Text message/Email notification from USCIS, that my application was received

04/02/11: NOA for both received in mailbox. Notice date 03/28

04/05/11: Biometric appointment letter received for I-485. Notice date 04/01. Appointment scheduled for 04/29

04/11/11: Just realized that I can file I-765 for free. Did it right away

04/22/11: Received receipt for I-765. Notice date 04/15

04/25/11: Bio appointment for I-765 received. Notice date 04/20. Appointment scheduled for 05/16

04/29/11: Biometric done for both I-485 and I-765

05/17/11: Text message/Email notification. EAD in production :)

05/18/11: Text message/Email notification, interview notice for June, 22th. Yay! (Day 55)

And, the instructions for the I-130 say that while the marriage certificate is the only required information, that you should send in other proof of a bona fide marriage. I think a "should" in the official instructions is a pretty strong indication. You have given your IO no information about yourselves and will therefore have a longer interview because they will have to look at your information when you come in, instead of studying it beforehand. You may get an RFE for evidence of a bonafide marriage. It's too late to send anything in now, so it's water under the bridge now, however. Good luck.

We sent absolutely nothing in terms of "bona fide marriage" when we first mailed the package to USCIS, aside from the marriage cert. We never got an RFE related to proving a bonafide marriage. According to our lawyer, that's exactly what the interview is for.

Unless you are adjusting from K1 and eligible to bypass the AOS interview, there's no reason to front load your application since it creates too much paper work.

While you wait for your interview, keep creating a paper trail. My husband and I went on trips and saved the Amtrak/Greyhound receipts with both of our names. We saved cell phone call logs, showing the 80% of our calls were to each other's phone numbers. Did y'all get married before Dec. 31, 2010? Then your spouse can file taxes in both your names through the filing status married filing jointly. We also had joint memberships at Sam's Club.

If you're having issues w/ bank accounts because of not having an SSN, does your spouse own a credit card? Adding your name as an authorized user takes 5 seconds and required no proof whatsoever of SSN or even legal residency, strangely enough.

You should still make an attempt to actually be on a checking/savings account with your spouse somehow, by attempting to add your name to your spouse's already existing account, instead of creating a brand new account for both of you from scratch.

Nov. 5: Sent AOS Package

Nov 17: AOS received by USCIS

April 1: INTERVIEW DAY. Approved!!!!!!

Early June: Moved to New York City. The only relevant city in the world ;)

It's not "front-loading." It's very clearly there in the instructions that you should include at least one piece of a list of proof, and it lists suggestions. But it doesn't matter now - they sent it in already. I would think getting an RFE would be a good thing - to shorten and lessen the stress of their interview, but as I said, they only "may" get one. It doesn't create too much paperwork, it says in the instructions to include proof. It's very plain.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Well I'm going to file the I-765 today. Sending my NOA copy for pending I-485.

How long do these take to process usually? I'm in the state of New York, if that helps.

We're getting all of the photos together for our I-485, I think it might just be easier to bring in the laptop, since all of our photos are digital, we don't actually have hard copies.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

no no digital they keep some!!! go get some!

7/28/04 we met

10/ /06 started dating long distance, not fun

7/15/08 we gave birth to a beautiful baby boy

11/11/10 we got married in amazing Santa Barbara

11/17/10 mailed I 130, I 131, AP and EAD

11/25/10 package received

12/06/10 checks cashed

12/08/10 Email/ text

12/11/10 NOA hard copies in the mail

01/ /11 biometrics walk in successful in Oxnard

02/07/11 EAD in production, AP post decision activity

02/11/11 AP in hand

02/14/11 EAD in the mail!!!!!!!

02/17/11 EAD in hand + applied for SSN

04/13/11 Interview and Approval letter, card in production!!!

Thank you visa journey!

EAD takes between 60-90 days. That is processed nationally in Missouri, and the I-130/I-485 will be adjudicated at your local office.

As Cookie said, they will keep some photos, and I don't think electronics/laptops are allowed in the federal building, so electronic copies probably won't suffice. Surely you can get some of them printed?

AOS for my husband

ROC:

It's not "front-loading." It's very clearly there in the instructions that you should include at least one piece of a list of proof, and it lists suggestions. But it doesn't matter now - they sent it in already. I would think getting an RFE would be a good thing - to shorten and lessen the stress of their interview, but as I said, they only "may" get one. It doesn't create too much paperwork, it says in the instructions to include proof. It's very plain.

It is on the instructions but in practice, they are trained to make these decisions at the interview, which is a necessary hurdle for non-K visa adjusters. The interview is the most important opportunity to present evidence of married life, since a lot of time (ie. 3-6 months) has accumulated since marriage. I just didn't want people to be unnecesarily worried that they didn't send in any bonafide evidence with their initial package. I can vouch, having gone through the experience recently, that it all comes down to the interview.

But now we're deviating from the topic! Good luck OP with your EAD app

Nov. 5: Sent AOS Package

Nov 17: AOS received by USCIS

April 1: INTERVIEW DAY. Approved!!!!!!

Early June: Moved to New York City. The only relevant city in the world ;)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I didn't put any evidence in my application, just our sons birthcertificate, you can bring your evidences there

7/28/04 we met

10/ /06 started dating long distance, not fun

7/15/08 we gave birth to a beautiful baby boy

11/11/10 we got married in amazing Santa Barbara

11/17/10 mailed I 130, I 131, AP and EAD

11/25/10 package received

12/06/10 checks cashed

12/08/10 Email/ text

12/11/10 NOA hard copies in the mail

01/ /11 biometrics walk in successful in Oxnard

02/07/11 EAD in production, AP post decision activity

02/11/11 AP in hand

02/14/11 EAD in the mail!!!!!!!

02/17/11 EAD in hand + applied for SSN

04/13/11 Interview and Approval letter, card in production!!!

Thank you visa journey!

Yep waiting till my Wife gets home, then we're off to go get some pictures and send it off.

What do I need to send with the application for EAD? Just my I-485 NOA1 and my pictures, correct? Nothing else? NO fees?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

There are some banks that do not require a SSN, but I don't know which ones. You can always call around. We didn't get the EAD until a week before our interview, but most people get theirs sooner. I would advise against bringing a laptop as I doubt you would be able to bring it in. Most people nowadays use digital cameras. ;) That's why you can send your pics almost anywhere to print off. Try to make this as easy as possible for your IO to approve and not question. We did send in lots of proof with our I-130. In fact, we sent in pics printed in black and white on paper, then we brought an album to interview. Our IO didn't take any, but it is very common for them too.

Do you both get mail at your address? That would be good proof of living together. Have your mother-in-law write up something. If your wife has a credit card you can be added as a signer. Does she have life insurance, health insurance at work where you can be added as a beneficiary? For the cell phone, I am not on the bill, but we share a plan together. So we took a statement showing both phones listed. Like someone else mentioned, if you married last year, she can file taxes as joint. That's one thing the IO asked us if we had filed yet and for a copy. Which we did. Have you taken any trips together?

Edited by katgrl

02/21/99 Hubby entered with F1 student visa D/S

May 2002 He stopped attending school because he couldn't afford it any longer.

03?/2002 USC sibling I-130 petition

02/2009 Met hubby

08/2009 Sibling petition approved but ineligible to adjust status due to overstay

07/10 Married :)

11/22/10 [day 0]- mailed AOS packet!! should be there by noon 11/23/2010

12/3/10 [day 11]- received email/text notification of acceptance from USCIS

12/3/10 hubby surprised me with a trip to Los Angeles for my birthday...no problems :)

12/6/10 [day 14]- received hard copy NOA1 in mail

12/7/10 [day 15]- checks cashed...ouch

12/15/10 [day 23]- rec'd biometrics appt set for Dec. 28th at 10 am! :)

12/28/10 [day 36]- successful biometrics appt

01/27/11 [day 66]- rec'd interview appt set for March 10th at 10 am :)

02/25/11 [day 95]- rec'd EAD

03/10/11 [day 109]- Interview, Green card approved!! :)

Next Step: Removing conditions in 2 years.

WHICH banks will allow us to open a joint account? I have my passport and birth certificate available.

Bank of America added me to my husband's account without an SSN. They just wanted two forms of ID. I had my passport of course but strangely their system wouldn't allow them to use my photocard driving licence as the second so they took a credit card instead.

Edited by cathy2904

01/27/2011 - Trevor's N400 submitted
02/18/2011 - Married
04/02/2011 - NOA1 hard copy received - priority date 03/30/2011
07/08/2011 - Trevor is now a USC - called USCIS to request upgrade of the petition.
08/02/2011 - NOA2
09/08/2011 - LND case number received, medical booked
09/26/2011 - Case complete at NVC
09/30/2011 - Interview date assigned
11/08/2011 - Interview - approved!!
11/10/2011 - Visa in hand
12/04/2011 - POE in Atlanta
12/12/2011 - SSN number received in mail
12/12/2011 - Welcome notice received
01/06/2012 - Green card received
09/06/2013 - File for Removal of Conditions
10/01/2013 - Biometrics for ROC
02/03/2014 - Card production email received

02/17/2014 - 2nd card production email received

02/28/2014 - 10 year Green card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.