Susan&Daniel

Confused by i-864 / i-864a

12 posts in this topic

I know this has been asked a hundred times, but my Googlefu fails me and I cannot find the answer I'm looking for.

My husband (US citizen) is the Sponsor. He's just left the military, is back in the US and is currently unemployed. His Dad (US citizen) who lives in the same house as him has agreed to be the co-sponsor.

QUESTION ONE:

So, if I've got this right, my husband fills out i-864 and my husband's father fills out i-864a, yeah? Does my husband's father also need to fill out i-864?

QUESTION TWO:

On the i-864 form, what box does my husband tick for Part 1? Box a, the petitioner? Box e, the first of two joint sponsors? If my husband's father has to fill out the same form, what does he then tick?

Thanks in advance!

IR-1 Timeline (DCF London)

15th Feb 2011 - Filed I-130 in London.

6th Apr 2011 - Sent letter requesting expedition of visa.

11th Apr 2011 - Received email approving request.

12th May 2011 - I-130 approved.

2nd June 2011 - Received case number via email. Booked medical.

3rd June 2011 - Sent forms DS-230, DS-2001 & cover letter today.

8th June 2011 - Medical Exam (£273.00 for medical & MMR/Tetanus injection)

11th July 2011 - Visa interview at 8am.

14th July 2011 - Visa in hand.

23rd July 2011 - Uniting my family today in San Antonio <3

11th Aug 2011 - Received 10yr Green Card in the mail

22nd Aug 2011 - Received SSN

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

For the first question, your father-in-law does not need to file an I-864 if he files an I-864A. Yes, your husband is the petitioner. Your father-in-law is the first joint sponsor.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-130 Sent: 2010-04-02

I-130 NOA1: 2010-04-13

I-130 RFE: 2010-10-04

I-130 RFE Sent: 2010-10-08

I-130 Approved: 2010-10-25

NVC Received: 2010-10-29

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill: 2010-11-09

Pay I-864 Bill: 2010-11-10

Receive I-864 Package:

Return Completed I-864: 2010-11-18

Return Completed DS-3032: 2010-11-22

Receive IV Bill: 2010-12-02

Pay IV Bill: 2010-12-03

Receive Instruction Package: 2010-12-28

Case Completed at NVC: 2011-01-11

Visa Received : 2011-04-30

Thank Visajourney! Couldn't have done without you guys!!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

For the first question, your father-in-law does not need to file an I-864 if he files an I-864A. Yes, your husband is the petitioner. Your father-in-law is the first joint sponsor.

Technically, this would appear correct, however, since the father is head of household, it's best if they each provide their own separate I-864 and don't combine income. It gets the father's household size properly accounted for and saves confusion and associated delays.

Your husband is the petitioner. His father is the only joint sponsor.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

On your husband's I-864:

Father is counted in household size on page 3, 21g

Father's income is reported on page 4, 24b

Father fills out I-864A which grants his permission to be included on husband's form and also shows he agrees to be liable for the immigrant.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

On your husband's I-864:

Father is counted in household size on page 3, 21g

Father's income is reported on page 4, 24b

Father fills out I-864A which grants his permission to be included on husband's form and also shows he agrees to be liable for the immigrant.

Again, this is technically correct but tends to miscount the head of household's household size. If the father qualifies on his own with sufficient income, it's best to file one I-864 for each sponsor. The I-864a is used when combining income of two or more household members.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Haha, I'm still confused :P

Haha, I'm still confused :P

Either way is okay and would probably do the job.

My post was just saying where a house member's income goes into a sponsor's form if you chose that route. I do agree that the co-sponsor should do his own complete I-864 in your situation, if your husband has no income and isn't even close to qualifying on his own.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

So two separate I-864 is the way to go, yeah? It's highly unlikely he'll have an income between no and when I'll need the forms by so I'll just go ahead with getting them to fill out one I-864 each. Thank you :D

Timeline

So two separate I-864 is the way to go, yeah? It's highly unlikely he'll have an income between no and when I'll need the forms by so I'll just go ahead with getting them to fill out one I-864 each. Thank you :D

Good choice but just to clarify, the reason for my recommendation is NOT that your husband has no income. The recommendation is for two reasons.

1. Your husband's father's income is sufficient on its own, so no need to "combine" income.

2. The I-864/864a combination tends to miscount the qualified sponsor's household size, when the qualified sponsor is the head of household.

Miscounting the head of household's household size by counting only those listed on the I-864 and I-864a can cause a false sense of security with regard to qualification. The true household size is reflected on the I-864 of the head of household and that's the calculation a Consular officer will use either way you go. They'll look at that tax return and do their own calculation, regardless of what the forms show.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

• 2 months later...

Good choice but just to clarify, the reason for my recommendation is NOT that your husband has no income. The recommendation is for two reasons.

1. Your husband's father's income is sufficient on its own, so no need to "combine" income.

2. The I-864/864a combination tends to miscount the qualified sponsor's household size, when the qualified sponsor is the head of household.

Miscounting the head of household's household size by counting only those listed on the I-864 and I-864a can cause a false sense of security with regard to qualification. The true household size is reflected on the I-864 of the head of household and that's the calculation a Consular officer will use either way you go. They'll look at that tax return and do their own calculation, regardless of what the forms show.

It's been a long time but, yes, once again, you clarified things that are very unclear inside my head, thank you! You are saying, it matters in cases where the household members are miscounted in relation to the annual income? is that correct? :wacko:

Timeline

It's been a long time but, yes, once again, you clarified things that are very unclear inside my head, thank you! You are saying, it matters in cases where the household members are miscounted in relation to the annual income? is that correct? :wacko:

That's one thing I said, yes.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

That's one thing I said, yes.

Hi sir! Thank you very much I saw what you wrote about i-864, somehow I was so enlightened with everything. Can I make one last confirmation?

Now, my husband and I decided to make my father-in-law, a joint sponsor, meaning he would fill out i-864 rather than i-864A because of the following reasons:

1. We filed DCF, so meaning, husband is not part of the household of the father-in-law though we are going to stay with them if and when we go to the US.

2. My husband has zero income since 2008, so we have nothing, $0 income.

We also asked my Mother in Law to fill out i-864A because she lives in the same residence as my Father-in-law. Also, in item #13 in i-864A, my father in law is the sponsor and my mother-in-law has to sign #15.

Are we doing this right? Thank you very much! :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.