LoveinPeru

immigrant health insurance

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

My fiance is arriving on his K-1 this week. I want to get him some health insurance just to be safe. My insurance doesn't cover spouses or domestic partners.

The main hiccup is that he has chronic asthma. He has not been treated for it since August 2009 when he was hospitalized with pneumonia. since then he only has an inhaler that he uses in emergencies, which is rarely.

Anyways, I found a travel insurance that will possibly cover his asthma if he has an "acute onset" of his condition up to $15,000. Has anyone found a health insurance that will cover someone with asthma? The insurance I'm looking at is called Atlas America. It's a travel insurance, so I pay one rate for the amount of time I want, not a monthly rate. It's significantly cheaper than if we bought something like, blue shield, but i don't think it covers doctor's visits. We are mainly worried that the change in climate will somehow affect him and he will be hospitalized, so hospitals are the biggest worry anyways.

Any suggestions or advice? I'm new to the world of health insurance anyway, and now adding in immigrant health insurance. eek! any help is appreciated!

9/24- I-129F received by CSC

9/27 NOA1 received in mail

9/28- Check Cashed

10/1- touched

2/23- RFE email

2/28- RFE hardcopy

3/7- NOA2!!!!!

3/28- Interview! APPROVED!

4/7 - Jimmy arrives in the USA!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Most travel insurance will refuse to pay out if they discover you are on an immigrant visa, so be sure to get something in writing that they cover him on a K1.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

My fiance is arriving on his K-1 this week. I want to get him some health insurance just to be safe. My insurance doesn't cover spouses or domestic partners.

The main hiccup is that he has chronic asthma. He has not been treated for it since August 2009 when he was hospitalized with pneumonia. since then he only has an inhaler that he uses in emergencies, which is rarely.

Anyways, I found a travel insurance that will possibly cover his asthma if he has an "acute onset" of his condition up to $15,000. Has anyone found a health insurance that will cover someone with asthma? The insurance I'm looking at is called Atlas America. It's a travel insurance, so I pay one rate for the amount of time I want, not a monthly rate. It's significantly cheaper than if we bought something like, blue shield, but i don't think it covers doctor's visits. We are mainly worried that the change in climate will somehow affect him and he will be hospitalized, so hospitals are the biggest worry anyways.

Any suggestions or advice? I'm new to the world of health insurance anyway, and now adding in immigrant health insurance. eek! any help is appreciated!

...by no means am I a health care expert, but from what I remember from Personal Finance 101 a "catastrophic health insurance" coverage is relatively inexpensive and will cover someone for the most expensive of medical problems (I believe the deductible is very high, something into the thousands of dollars). Otherwise it could get pretty expensive ...all i know is that if I didn't have a job our plan with United Health Care would cost us roughly $820 a month.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.