sy59

pregnant Canadian wife - any loopholes?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I've just been hired for a job in the US starting August 18, 2011. My wife of five years is pregnant with our second, due in October. We've resided in Montreal for two years, and I started looking into direct consular filing; but by the time frame people have set up, it looks like September/October (i.e. the time the baby is due) will be the first time she's allowed in the country, which cuts things way too close. She could potentially move back in with her parents, but they're in Ontario, and there's a three-month waiting period before you can go on insurance, so she'd have to be there as early as May; meanwhile I don't think my insurance from my new job would cover childbirth outside of the country. So either she has the baby without any insurance coverage, or she spends the last few months of her pregnancy couch-surfing in Montreal; either way our son doesn't see his mother for a few months, and I probably miss the birth of my second child. Is there anything I'm missing that could help us to avoid one of these ridiculous situations?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

He is looking into DCF, meaning he is a US citizen and a permanent resdient or citizen of Canada.

OP - can you re-negotiate your employment date?

If not, what is the wait to get your wife onto new medical insurance - you can check with Human Resources at the new job, they should be able to provide you with some info. Many HRs are nice and could help you with getting the best deal for your pregnant wife.

First, are you a US citizen or Canadian citizen? Are you entering the US on a work visa or are you returning home to the US?

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

OP - can you re-negotiate your employment date?

If not, what is the wait to get your wife onto new medical insurance - you can check with Human Resources at the new job, they should be able to provide you with some info. Many HRs are nice and could help you with getting the best deal for your pregnant wife.

So, is your idea for OP's wife just to enter the US as a visitor?

I am not sure whether even the generious insurance plan would cover NRA spouse without SSN and legal US residence... leave alone potential issues with pre-existing condition exclusions since she's already pregnant.

Timeline

Unfortunately i think you have the facts rights on.

It sounds like you moving to the states right now isn't the most ideal time :) But life is what it is. She would be better to stay in Montreal QC and give birth there - you're not likely to get her here to the US in time. Are you sure that she cannot get OHIP immediately since she previously lived in another Cdn province? I thought there was a loop hole for that, but maybe I'm wrong.

Soudns like a rough go of things no matter how you slice it.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

No, even out of Province transfers to Ontario have a 3 month waiting period before they qualify for OHIP. Depending on what Province she would be moving from you might want to check if they would still cover the waiting period until she qualifies for OHIP.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As a canadian who recently went through her first part of pregnancy in the US without insurance I would suggest that as tough as it may be that your wife stay in Montreal. I had to pay out of pocket for my first 4ish months of prenatal care as well as an ER visit for a miscarriage scare and those cost us close to $6000. Even with insurance and a fairly uncomplicated birth (I did have an insuduction and en epidural) we still had to pay about $3000 out of pocket. We also managed to get discharged from the hospital a day early (most of the time they like to have you in for 2 nights...we managed to stay only one night so we avoided that extra day charge).

I know it is a difficult decision, personally I would have been heartbroken if hubby wasn't able to be there for the birth (and he would have as well), but maybe you can speak to the new employer about your situation and you may be able to get a bit of time off. Your wife may be able to speak to her practitioner about a scheduled induction (not the most optimal choice) so that you would have a very good chance of being there for the birth.

Good Luck

ETA: when I moved from AB to ON my Alberta Health Care covered me until I was able to get OHIP. It was several years ago and a different province, but as Kathryn said you may want to check with your Quebec health care to see if it is covered.

Edited by Colleens

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I found this :) From Quebec site :

Taking Up Residence Outside Québec

Persons who take up residence outside Québec cease to be covered by the Health Insurance Plan. They must notify the Régie of their departure and return their Health Insurance Card to the Régie.

Elsewhere in Canada

Persons who take up residence elsewhere in Canada are generally no longer covered after the end of the second calendar month following the date they take up residence in another province. See example. Up to that day, they benefit from services covered outside Québec.

If they were covered by the Public Prescription Drug Insurance Plan, their coverage ceases on the day they leave Québec.

Persons who decide to take up residence in another Canadian province while spending time there generally cease to be covered after the end of the second calendar month following the date they take up residence in that province. If they were covered by the Public Prescription Drug Insurance Plan, their coverage ceases on the day they take up residence in the other province.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am not sure whether even the generious insurance plan would cover NRA spouse without SSN and legal US residence... leave alone potential issues with pre-existing condition exclusions since she's already pregnant.

Rika didn't suggest that, I don't know why you would get that impression, her post was quite clear. There are some insurance companies that do cover non residents, but it really depends upon your employer and the insurance company. My insurance company does cover things like that. But I also realize that this is a function of my employer as well. They pay higher amounts so that we can add anyone as a "spouse" or "partner" onto our plan, no verification needed.

Timeline

I've just been hired for a job in the US starting August 18, 2011. My wife of five years is pregnant with our second, due in October. We've resided in Montreal for two years, and I started looking into direct consular filing; but by the time frame people have set up, it looks like September/October (i.e. the time the baby is due) will be the first time she's allowed in the country, which cuts things way too close. She could potentially move back in with her parents, but they're in Ontario, and there's a three-month waiting period before you can go on insurance, so she'd have to be there as early as May; meanwhile I don't think my insurance from my new job would cover childbirth outside of the country. So either she has the baby without any insurance coverage, or she spends the last few months of her pregnancy couch-surfing in Montreal; either way our son doesn't see his mother for a few months, and I probably miss the birth of my second child. Is there anything I'm missing that could help us to avoid one of these ridiculous situations?

As someone who recently moved from Quebec to Ontario twice, i know exactly what your going through.

Technically there is a 3 month waiting period for OHIP, which is usually covered by your previous provinces medicare. The day you apply for Ontario OHIP (The first day of the third month) your Quebec card is cut up by them and you are immediately covered in Ontario. Note, If you will live in Ontario for LESS THAN 6 MONTHS they will not give you a card. I moved to Windsor Ontario on October 31st. i was waiting for my packets from nvc / consulate and knew I'd have an interview within 6 months. so i put temporary residence on my forms and that's when i was told you have to live in Ontario for more than 6 months to be covered by OHIP. Or you have to pay them back for anything you received.

However, NEWBORNS are exempt and are immediately covered if they are born in Ontario.

My recommendation is to let her stay in Montreal. Current info was obtained from the following two Ohip pages:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/ohip/wait.html

http://www.ontario.com/attractions/ontario-health-insurance-plan

HWDWm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Not at all.

My idea is that more information is needed. There are several issues here - one, the speed of DCF via Montreal. Second - what kind of medical insurance would be available to the OP's wife if she made it to the US before her due time. Pregnancy may or may not be covered, depending on the insurer, waiting period to get onto the new insurance plan etc. HR is a good place to start asking questions and they can be very helpful.

Edited by rika60607

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Timeline

Rika didn't suggest that, I don't know why you would get that impression, her post was quite clear. There are some insurance companies that do cover non residents, but it really depends upon your employer and the insurance company. My insurance company does cover things like that. But I also realize that this is a function of my employer as well. They pay higher amounts so that we can add anyone as a "spouse" or "partner" onto our plan, no verification needed.

Sorry if I've got wrong impression... since nobody objects OP's conclusion that there isn't enough time for him to process the whole immigration paperwork for his wife, the only way for his wife to come to the US for a childbirth would be as a regulat Canadian visitor, that was my logic. There is some confusion probably since we're discussing the situation involving 2 problems: 1. immigration 2.insurance coverage.

As to your second point - just curious: usually such a provision means that the insurer will not check marriage papers but are you sure you can add to your plan A PERSON WITHOUT SSN?

Timeline

*respectfully snipped*

As to your second point - just curious: usually such a provision means that the insurer will not check marriage papers but are you sure you can add to your plan A PERSON WITHOUT SSN?

Some will - I have coverage through Kaiser Permanente and they allowed me to add my husband to my coverage even though he doesn't have a SSN - they just used mine. OP needs to ask a rep from the health plan if they allow it.

Holding my nose and jumping off the cliff.. hope I don't hit any rocks in the water.

"All I want out of life is ice cream and cuddles. Is it too much to ask? Is it?" - Sleep Talkin' Man

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WithoutMusic-theidolhands.pngSquareOneIcon.pngMYV2avaruusvirta.pngCarmenSandiego-theidolhands.pngSuckIt-stellans.jpg

138 days from NOA1 - NOA2

14 days from CIS till NVC case number assigned.

Timeline

Sorry if I've got wrong impression... since nobody objects OP's conclusion that there isn't enough time for him to process the whole immigration paperwork for his wife, the only way for his wife to come to the US for a childbirth would be as a regulat Canadian visitor, that was my logic. There is some confusion probably since we're discussing the situation involving 2 problems: 1. immigration 2.insurance coverage.

My husband was able to add me, but coverage for the medical part of his plan wouldn't kick in until i gave them my SSN#.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

I was added immediately to my wifes Insurance when I moved to the USA.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.