cgman

Newbie! Need help with F1 visa-holding wife

5 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello!

I need help figuring out which documents to file and how to go about doing it. I have read all instructions at USCIS but started the paperwork however I'm hesitating if I'm doing it right.

A little background: My dear love came here on a student visa (first as a high school exchange student) later as a college student (back in 2005). We met shortly after, fell in love and lived together ever since (coming up 5 years). This past February we were married in Los Angeles! She has until summer, then school is over so I hurried and got all the paperwork together. From what I gathered - we had to fill out an I-130, I-485, Affidavit of Support and all supporting documents for each form. From what I understood, I could send all of this together to the Chicago Lockbox.

Question: Did I fill out the proper forms? (sorry if this sounds stupid but the immigration process is very confusing to me and I have nobody to help me!)

Please tell me I'm on the right track! (I am young -24 and have nobody to help me with these things)

Thanks,

Gene

Edited by cgman

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Follow the guide posted above. Yes you are on the right track. File as soon as you can

Your wife can file for OPT if you like as well, she should speak to her DSO about that if you are interested

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

I'm AOSing from an F1 visa, got married to my USC husband few weeks ago and have submitted our AOS package. I personally don't think you need a lawyer for the process at all, if there aren't any complicating circumstances related to your case - and it doesn't seem as though there is. It is pretty straight forward, and my opinion is that a lawyer would be waste of money. You can totally do it yourself, you just need to spend some time going over the form instructions and guides here to make sure you have everything filled out, and that you've filled it out correctly, and you'll be all set to go.

You are definitely on the right track. The two main forms are the I-130 which you fill out, and the I-485 for your wife. In addition to those, you might need the I-131 which is for a travel document, the I-765 which is for EAD (employment authorization), and the I-864 for the affidavit of support. You will also need the medical form I-693 that goes with the I-485, which will be filled out by a civil surgeon when your wife goes to get her medical check done.

The I-131 you'll need if you think there might be a chance that she has to travel abroad while the petition is still pending. She cannot leave and re-enter the country without the AP (advance parole), if her GC has not been issued yet. The I-765 for the EAD you'll need if you think she might want to be able to start working before her GC is approved. I personally think it's always good to file those out with the petition, since when filed concurrently, they don't cost anything extra and are fast and easy to fill out.

Just make sure you read each question in each form carefully, sign them all (and sign on the right line..), and have all the supportive documentation that is needed - G325 for both of you (two for her, one for you), right number of passport photos, her birth certificate (and translation if original is not in English) and all the rest that is required.

For the OPT, it will need to be either or. She cannot apply for both OPT and AOS simultaneously. I think in your situation it will make more sense to just do the AOS now, in stead of wasting money and time on the OPT. That would only buy her an extra year, and she would have to be sure she could get hired by someone within the 60 (or maybe 90, I'm not sure what the requirement is now) days that she has from when OPT is approved to find a job.

You should be posting on the AOS from tourist, work, student visa forum - you are AOSing from her F1, not family based visa. You'll find more information and advice there!

Good luck - it is really not quite as hard as it seems on first glance :) And congrats on the marriage!

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Moving to:

***AOS Work, Student, Visitor-as your wife is an F1***

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.