AKW65

New York Times Story

46 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Ok, this whole thread got a bit off topic. In any case, the reporter called me back today and is flying down to meet me tomorrow. We talked for a while longer and now he is leaning towards writing the story more about the impact of IMBRA and working in the statistics about the number of people seeking spouses from outside the U.S.

Like many of you, I'm not sure how it will all come out but I promise to be careful and state the facts for the most part.

I got an email from the CSC today that they are finally sending my RFE out to me after 3 months. I hope I get that soon!

Good luck to all of you! I'll update this post after the interview in the next day or so.

Adam & Yesenia

I-129 submitted on 5/26/06 (on OLD forms because the new ones weren't out!!)

NOA #1 with receipt number dated 6/12/2006

Nothing else has happened after that as far as I know... No RFE's, Nothing?

touched on 9/7/2006

Email notice on 9/11/2006 that my question would be answered.

Email notice on 9/12/2006 that the RFE is in the mail 3 months after my WAC number

Next trip to see her for a week on 9/23/06...

Went to Colombia on 9/23 returned on 10/1

I never received my RFE but my attorney sent me his copy which I filled out and overnighted on 10/3 RFE delivery confirmation on 10/4 but nothing from CSC yet...

CSC Email saying they have my RFE on 10/11/06, a full week after they got it.

Note that to this day, I've still NEVER received my copy of the RFE they said they mailed to me! I've seen lots of posts about lost RFE's and other documents from the CSC! This concerns me greatly!

NOA 2 on 10/18/2006 Woo Hoo! 129 days from NOA 1.

Yesenia arrived in the US on January 18th, 2007

We were married on 3/17/07

Filed for Green Card and Employment Authorization right away.

Green Card was issued (with EAD card) on 6/15/07

We'll be filing for AOS pretty soon.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AKW65,

I would be hesitant to conduct and interview with a reporter, especially with the ambiguous storyline. As you know, reporters are notorious for hiding the true intent of an interview, until published. Since the storyline has shifted several times, I call this suspect.

At this stage, it sounds as if the agenda is slanted towards "seeking spouses outside the US" as opposed to the impact of IMBRA. The latter, being your primary concern.

If I were you, I would withdraw. Up to you though.

Ok, this whole thread got a bit off topic. In any case, the reporter called me back today and is flying down to meet me tomorrow. We talked for a while longer and now he is leaning towards writing the story more about the impact of IMBRA and working in the statistics about the number of people seeking spouses from outside the U.S.

Like many of you, I'm not sure how it will all come out but I promise to be careful and state the facts for the most part.

I got an email from the CSC today that they are finally sending my RFE out to me after 3 months. I hope I get that soon!

Good luck to all of you! I'll update this post after the interview in the next day or so.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

AKW65,

I would be hesitant to conduct and interview with a reporter, especially with the ambiguous storyline. As you know, reporters are notorious for hiding the true intent of an interview, until published. Since the storyline has shifted several times, I call this suspect.

At this stage, it sounds as if the agenda is slanted towards "seeking spouses outside the US" as opposed to the impact of IMBRA. The latter, being your primary concern.

Tom:

I agree that there is some risk, amount unknown. But I also think there is the potential for reward. The New York Times is liberal, which might mean more likely to find fault with a Republican administration that is not administering well. That could work to our benefit. Also, we have lots of facts, many of which others do not know. Giving them these facts - long delays, arbitrary processing order - you may be able to influence the direction of the story.

Good luck with the interview. We will be looking for your name in print soon!

Tom

Thank for for updating your timeline. (My Assistant, then edit/add my timeline.)
K1

TomYu,

You make a good point, surmising that the OP can "manipulate" the storyline.

As I understand it, Editors usually drive the agenda for a storyline (did you not see the movie: "The Paper")? :lol:

It may be worth a try.

AKW65,

Tom:

I agree that there is some risk, amount unknown. But I also think there is the potential for reward. The New York Times is liberal, which might mean more likely to find fault with a Republican administration that is not administering well. That could work to our benefit. Also, we have lots of facts, many of which others do not know. Giving them these facts - long delays, arbitrary processing order - you may be able to influence the direction of the story.

Good luck with the interview. We will be looking for your name in print soon!

Tom

Timeline

I agree. I remain cautiously optimistic that maybe some good can come out of the story. Of course it's hard to get a feel for a persons intentions over the phone. I imagine I will have a better idea when I see him face to face.

Adam & Yesenia

touched on 9/7/2006

Email notice on 9/12/2006 that the RFE is in the mail 3 months after my WAC number

I never received my RFE but my attorney sent me his copy which I filled out and overnighted on 10/3 RFE delivery confirmation on 10/4 but nothing from CSC yet...

Note that to this day, I've still NEVER received my copy of the RFE they said they mailed to me! I've seen lots of posts about lost RFE's and other documents from the CSC! This concerns me greatly!

Good luck! Just be aware of how you might be portrayed. Most people don't understand the K-1 process -- it's either like the movie Green Card, or everyone is a loser who can't deal with dating in the U.S., or everyone wants a submissive foreign lotus flower to abuse. All of which are inaccurate, but who knows what the reporter thinks. So beware of playing into stereotypes that don't reflect on the whole community or process. Might be good to mention that women petition on behalf of men, for example.

Public opinion moves this, not the newspapers, and public opinion won't care much if the spin is 'look at the freaks who date online.'

Contrary to popular belief, the NYT does not always report a liberal line on things. (And a liberal line might not be all that favorable. Easy to spin as 'American men seek foreign women they can control because American women go to college and think.') But I think publicity is probably a good thing for the case and it's not going to hurt (what, the CSC will get slower?). So good luck!

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline

The interview was last night and lasted several hours after which, Mr. Porter and I went to dinner to continue our conversation. He even called to Colombia to speak with Yesenia for about 30 minutes after which he was smiling pretty big at how sweet she was.

I'm not sure how big a part of the story we will be but I think it will be positive. He did say that he wants to inform the public about IMBRA and highlight some of the dynamics of a relationship with a foreign fiancee including the economics, the visa process, and the driving factor to search outside the U.S.

Mr. Porter was a genuinely nice man who grew up in Mexico and is married to a woman he met while living in Brazil. He has lived in many different countries working as a journalist and seems to have a pretty open mind as a result. I liked him. We will see how the story goes, but I'm sure it will be a positive bit of publicity for those of us enduring this process. I will post a new thread with the web link to the story when it is available.

Good Luck & GOD BLESS to all of you. I had two touches in the last two days and got an email the the RFE is coming. I know I will be with my Baby soon and I'm sure you all will too. This is a slow process but in the big scheme of things, it is a twinkling in time compared to a life with the person you love.

Adam

Adam & Yesenia

touched on 9/7/2006

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Good luck with your interview and I echo the other responses here. Just to let you know, I posted an article I found on yahoo yesterday in the CR1 forum that dealt with what is going on with the process and agencies. Was interesting, nothing more, but at least it is something to help us understand what it is we face.

Doug

I-130

2006 09 06 Mailed I-130

2006 09 07 Rec'd at CA Center

2006 09 13 I-130 NOA1 receipt date

2006 11 22 NOA2, approved

2007 02 15 Case complete at NVC

2007 02 21 Case forwarded to Bogota Embassy

2007 02 23 Case received at Embassy

2007 04 12 Interview,VISA GRANTED

I-751- Removing Conditions

2009 04 08 Overnight Application

2009 04 09 Rec'd Application at CSC

2009 04 17 Rec'd NOA

2009 05 10 Called CSC - No Biometrix letter, 45 day Inquiry starts

2009 05 18 Made Info Pass appointment for June 2

2009 05 26 Rec'd response and copy of Bio Appt letter dated May 14, Appt on May 28

2009 05 27 Biometrix-walked in a day early and completed appointment

2009 06 01 Approved Conditions Removed (rec'd Congratulations letter on June 9)

2009 06 12 Touched but nothing changed on USCIS website

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I a BIG thank you for taking the time and getting our story out! I look forward to seeing it in print!

There is another NY Times reporter speaking about immigration on our campus (University of Utah) this coming week. I will be giving her some of the statistics that I generate on the arbitrary nature of the process. I hope it helps.

(And of course, sitting in the audience for an hour first will give me a better sense of where she's coming from. If she is not sympathetic, I will just stand clear.)

Tom

Thank for for updating your timeline. (My Assistant, then edit/add my timeline.)
K1

Timeline
I a BIG thank you for taking the time and getting our story out! I look forward to seeing it in print!

There is another NY Times reporter speaking about immigration on our campus (University of Utah) this coming week. I will be giving her some of the statistics that I generate on the arbitrary nature of the process. I hope it helps.

(And of course, sitting in the audience for an hour first will give me a better sense of where she's coming from. If she is not sympathetic, I will just stand clear.)

Tom

If you end up chatting with her and she does seem sympathetic, ask her if she knows Eduardo Porter that works at the times. That's the man who interviewed me. He seems very nice and sympathetic while at the same time trying to remain unbiased. Hopefully, this will end up being something more than just passing interesting reading but I sort of doubt it. There are millions of stories out there and it takes a huge one to make the public stop and take notice. Either way, a little publicity can't hurt.

Good luck!

Adam & Yesenia

touched on 9/7/2006

• 5 weeks later...
Timeline

I posted the following in another thread where someone called me a "creepy middle aged bitter divorced guy" or something like that... In any case, I wanted to follow up here in the original post with a reply.

Well folks, I don't know what to say about this except that some of you VJ'ers warned me NOT TO TALK TO THE NEW YORK TIMES!!! You were right. The article is about me and is COMPLETELY TWISTED INTO B.S.!!!!!!

I can tell you that I met the reporter in person face to face, we talked for two hours and then he took me to dinner. EVERY single quote attributed to me is either twisted, or taken completely out of context. There is of course some truth to it. I am divorced. I am not bitter like I was made out to be. It is true that I don't want to have a relationship with someone with children again. I have my reasons.

The pictures they used are the worst possible pictures of me. They failed to mention:

Yesenia speaks fluent English and put herself through classes for two years prior to meeitng me.

Yesenia has a college degree in Business Administration.

Yesenia has her own business in Colombia and is NOT some poor girl looking for any man to take her away from a difficult life.

Yesenia has her own business there and takes care of herself. I did buy her a computer so we could talk more easliy, but the way they say it is as if I'm purchasing a bride.

I have talked to her EVERY day for over a year now. She's had many other offers. I've even told her from DAY ONE, that if she ever had second thoughts, all she had to do is tell me. I would NEVER want her to feel "stuck" with me. She loves me and I love her. I am NOT some creepy middle aged guy like you might think. You can think that if you like, it's not my problem.

The funny thing is, Yesenia is such a positive person that she won't care about the way this reads. She knows how she feels about me and I know how I feel about her.

In closing, I will say this, I got an email from the reporter BEFORE I even knew the story was in the paper apologizing. Here is what he had to say to me today at 10:41 AM:

Hey Adam,

FYI -- a version of the story is in today's paper. I can't say I'm too proud of it. It was cut in half by my editors and stuffed into the paper at the last minute. A bit of a disappointment, really. But it's there.

Anyway, all the best for you and Yesenia.

Eduardo

I'd say that about sums up the fact that the story didn't come out the way it was meant to be.

For the record, I apologize to anyone who has experienced any stress as a result of this story. I had hoped for something completely different. In fact, if you go to the audio/multimedia link, you can hear an interview with her and I over the phone, we don't sound like the story reads at all.

ALSO, the quote attributed to Sam Smith is taken out of context. I spoke to him today and he was flabbergasted!

I forgot to mention one other point, I NEVER went on any "romance" tour, used a translator, etc.. The ONLY thing the ILoveLatins.com agecncy did for me was to give me Yesenia's email address. That's it. Nothing more. I contacted her on my own, got to know her on my own, and went to meet her, eventually get engaged, and plan for our future on my own. This is not any kind of arranged "mail order bride" situation where I'm spending thousands of dollars on some company to provide me with a service and eventually a wife!. I got her email address, that's it. The rest we did as any other couple might if they met on Match.com, eharmony, or any other site...

Adam

Adam & Yesenia

touched on 9/7/2006

Filed: Other Timeline

I searched for the original article from the NYT, here it is:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/17/us/17bri...amp;oref=slogin

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline

For what it's worth Adam, upon reading the article, I didn't attribute 50% of what you end up defending below. I don't think it's as bad as you may think. Obviously when the article is written about you, it sounds to you much more critical than to others. I didn't think it was so bad. Honestly, I think it could have been much worse.

Best wishes.

I posted the following in another thread where someone called me a "creepy middle aged bitter divorced guy" or something like that... In any case, I wanted to follow up here in the original post with a reply.

Well folks, I don't know what to say about this except that some of you VJ'ers warned me NOT TO TALK TO THE NEW YORK TIMES!!! You were right. The article is about me and is COMPLETELY TWISTED INTO B.S.!!!!!!

I can tell you that I met the reporter in person face to face, we talked for two hours and then he took me to dinner. EVERY single quote attributed to me is either twisted, or taken completely out of context. There is of course some truth to it. I am divorced. I am not bitter like I was made out to be. It is true that I don't want to have a relationship with someone with children again. I have my reasons.

The pictures they used are the worst possible pictures of me. They failed to mention:

Yesenia speaks fluent English and put herself through classes for two years prior to meeitng me.

Yesenia has a college degree in Business Administration.

Yesenia has her own business in Colombia and is NOT some poor girl looking for any man to take her away from a difficult life.

Yesenia has her own business there and takes care of herself. I did buy her a computer so we could talk more easliy, but the way they say it is as if I'm purchasing a bride.

I have talked to her EVERY day for over a year now. She's had many other offers. I've even told her from DAY ONE, that if she ever had second thoughts, all she had to do is tell me. I would NEVER want her to feel "stuck" with me. She loves me and I love her. I am NOT some creepy middle aged guy like you might think. You can think that if you like, it's not my problem.

The funny thing is, Yesenia is such a positive person that she won't care about the way this reads. She knows how she feels about me and I know how I feel about her.

In closing, I will say this, I got an email from the reporter BEFORE I even knew the story was in the paper apologizing. Here is what he had to say to me today at 10:41 AM:

Hey Adam,

FYI -- a version of the story is in today's paper. I can't say I'm too proud of it. It was cut in half by my editors and stuffed into the paper at the last minute. A bit of a disappointment, really. But it's there.

Anyway, all the best for you and Yesenia.

Eduardo

I'd say that about sums up the fact that the story didn't come out the way it was meant to be.

For the record, I apologize to anyone who has experienced any stress as a result of this story. I had hoped for something completely different. In fact, if you go to the audio/multimedia link, you can hear an interview with her and I over the phone, we don't sound like the story reads at all.

ALSO, the quote attributed to Sam Smith is taken out of context. I spoke to him today and he was flabbergasted!

I forgot to mention one other point, I NEVER went on any "romance" tour, used a translator, etc.. The ONLY thing the ILoveLatins.com agecncy did for me was to give me Yesenia's email address. That's it. Nothing more. I contacted her on my own, got to know her on my own, and went to meet her, eventually get engaged, and plan for our future on my own. This is not any kind of arranged "mail order bride" situation where I'm spending thousands of dollars on some company to provide me with a service and eventually a wife!. I got her email address, that's it. The rest we did as any other couple might if they met on Match.com, eharmony, or any other site...

Adam

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

Adam,

That is precisely one of the things that IMBRA is targeting - the giving out a foreigner's contact information. Without first getting the background of the American person to whom they are giving the contact information , sharing that background with the foreigner, and getting the foreigner's 'go-ahead' to provide the contact information to that particular American person.

Yodrak

I forgot to mention one other point, I NEVER went on any "romance" tour, used a translator, etc.. The ONLY thing the ILoveLatins.com agecncy did for me was to give me Yesenia's email address. That's it. Nothing more. .......

Adam

William,

You threw 3 strikes in a row with these posts. Congratulations.

Yodrak

AKW65,

As I understand it, Editors usually drive the agenda for a storyline (did you not see the movie: "The Paper")?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.