Sweet17L

Anyone here from the Philippines?

40 posts in this topic

:ot:

Taxpayers? Taxes? Democrats? Republicans? What in the world are you guys talking about? :huh:

The USCIS is funded almost entirely by the fees from processing petitions.

:ot2:

Waiting is h*ll. :yes:

if you dont understand what we're talking about, better read throughly before you react.

The USCIS is funded almost entirely by the fees from processing petitions.

if you dont understand what we're talking about, better read throughly before you react.

I understand perfectly: the USCIS is not funded by our tax dollars.

If you disagree, please tell me how you think the USCIS is funded.

hey there...sorry to hear about the long wait...i haven't even submitted my petition yet...just trying to clarify one last thing...maybe you can help! my fiance was previously married to a us citizen...she filed for divorce so that she could remarry here in the states...however, philippines does not recognize divorce so what should i do?

Sorry for the late response. Did she "file" for a divorce or was she granted a divorce? Where were they married and where was the divorce granted?

If she was married in the Philippines to a USC, a divorce granted in the US would be recognized by the Philippines if the USC filed for the divorce, on the other hand, if she filed for the divorce then it would not be recognized in the Philippines. Remember, she'll have to submit a CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage) at the interview to prove that she's able to marry.

George

Edited by George & Gina

11/15/10: I-130 package FEDEX'd to Chicago Lockbox

11/15/10: NSO Marriage and Birth Certificates available for pick-up at NSO

11/17/10: Receipt Date of I-130 petition at Chicago Lockbox

11/19/10: NSO Marriage Cert and Birth Cert (4x each) received by Gina in Philippines

11/19/10: CRBA package couriered to US Embassy in Manila

11/22/10: CRBA package/application including NSO BC & MC received by embassy

11/22/10: NOA1 Date

11/24/10: Electronic notification of receipt received from Chicago Lockbox

11/24/10: Embassy scheduled CRBA appointment for 12/21/2010

11/26/20: Check cashed

11/27/10: NOA1 Hardcopy received via USPS

12/21/10: Interview/Personal appearance at Manila Embassy for CRBA **approved**

01/03/11: CRBA and US Passport for daughter received by Gina via FEDEX

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I personally have no idea.

The vague association between USCIS and tax dollars just cropped up in one of my small talks with my fiance. He recently got a notice about owing additional taxes to the US government. I just found it mildly ironic that he pays a small Philippine fortune in taxes annually and it's taking the government a while to decide whether he deserves to bring a loved one abroad to his country.

Grace

Sorry for the late response. Did she "file" for a divorce or was she granted a divorce? Where were they married and where was the divorce granted?

If she was married in the Philippines to a USC, a divorce granted in the US would be recognized by the Philippines if the USC filed for the divorce, on the other hand, if she filed for the divorce then it would not be recognized in the Philippines. Remember, she'll have to submit a CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage) at the interview to prove that she's able to marry.

George

I agree with George. If she filed for divorce, then she would need to get an annulment in the Philippines. If the U.S. citizen filed for divorce, she would have to get the divorce judicially recognized in the Philippines.

I agree with George. If she filed for divorce, then she would need to get an annulment in the Philippines. If the U.S. citizen filed for divorce, she would have to get the divorce judicially recognized in the Philippines.

Not quite sure I agree. If both parties resided in the U.S. and in turn divorced in the U.S. they would only be subject to the laws of the U.S./State where divorce is legal. Any divorce granted in the U.S. regardless of which party filed will be recognized as a legal divorce in the eyes of the Phils authorities and in turn in the eyes of the US Consulate/USCIS. The OP needs to clairfy what the exact situation is though.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Not quite sure I agree. If both parties resided in the U.S. and in turn divorced in the U.S. they would only be subject to the laws of the U.S./State where divorce is legal. Any divorce granted in the U.S. regardless of which party filed will be recognized as a legal divorce in the eyes of the Phils authorities and in turn in the eyes of the US Consulate/USCIS. The OP needs to clairfy what the exact situation is though.

No clarification is needed. This issue has been addressed before here on VJ. There is no question about it. Philippines law is clear: the beneficiary will be required to get either a judicial recognition of the divorce or will be required to get an annulment. The determining factor is who was granted the divorce, the 'Kano or the Pinay.

No clarification is needed. This issue has been addressed before here on VJ. There is no question about it. Philippines law is clear: the beneficiary will be required to get either a judicial recognition of the divorce or will be required to get an annulment. The determining factor is who was granted the divorce, the 'Kano or the Pinay.

You're correct if she married a Filipino in the Phils that's the law. The OP said she married and divorced a USC. So yes clarification is needed since we have no idea whether they were married in the Phils or the U.S. If they were married and divorced in the U.S. you aren't correct since at this point it becomes a U.S. immigration decision and has nothing to do with the Phils laws. Or even if they did marry in the Phils but divorced in the U.S. this still meets requirements of K1 since in the eyes of the U.S. she's no longer married. If they married in Phils and she has proof of U.S. divorce and she divorced her spouse of record in the Phils she need not provide CENOMAR.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

we're not talking about USCIS being funded by tax dollars.. we're talking about our US citizen fiances' rights to better services from the government.

I personally have no idea.

The vague association between USCIS and tax dollars just cropped up in one of my small talks with my fiance. He recently got a notice about owing additional taxes to the US government. I just found it mildly ironic that he pays a small Philippine fortune in taxes annually and it's taking the government a while to decide whether he deserves to bring a loved one abroad to his country.

Grace

grace, the topic was not meant to say that USCIS is funded by tax dollars.. what we're trying to say in the last posts with the other VJ member was that our US citizen fiances deserve to receive better services from the government...i hope it's clear now.. thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.