extrajay

Help with sponsor question

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Slovakia
Timeline

Hi.

I am about to become a sponsor to my friend, who married a US citizen.

His wife has a kid who lives with them (from previous marriage), SO THEY ARE A FAMILY OF 3.

She makes a little over $19000 per year - which is not enough for her to become the only sponsor.

I made $29000 for 2010.

I am also married and have one kid (family of 3), and I want to mention that I am also the sponsor to my wife,

she is still a permanent resident.

My questions are:

1. The best thing to do will be for my friend to have his wife and myself as two joint sponsors, right?

His wife will be considered the 1st joint sponsor, and I will be considered the 2nd joint sponsor.

Correct me if I am wrong.

2. All together our income should be enough (19K + 29K), right?

3. Both of us need to complete i-864 form, correct?

4. On form i-864 part 5, question 21, where it asks for dependents,

it says in c. If you are currently married, enter "1" for your spouse.

and in f. it says If you have sponsored any other persons on an I-864 or I-864 EZ who are now lawful permanent residents, enter the number here.

But my spouse is the person I sponsored previously, so if I write 1 here, it will double the dependency for her - one time in c. and second time in f.

What should I write here, please help?

Thanks in advance.

Timeline

Household 100% Poverty 125% Poverty

Size Guideline Guideline

2 $ 14,710 $ 18,387

3 $ 18,530 $ 23,162

4 $ 22,350 $ 27,937

5 $ 26,170 $ 32,712

6 $ 29,990 $ 37,487

Link to form I-864P >> http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

I have a question here:

I have a family of 3 (myself, my wife and our son), and I want to sponsor my friend.

I have been a sponsor once, though, I sponsored my wife, she still is a permanent resident.

When filling out the i-864 application for my friend, I encounter this problem:

On form i-864 part 5, question 21, where it asks for dependents,

it says in c. If you are currently married, enter "1" for your spouse.

and in f. it says If you have sponsored any other persons on an I-864 or I-864 EZ who are now lawful permanent residents, enter the number here.

But my spouse is the person I sponsored previously, so if I write 1 here, it will double the dependency for her - one time in c. and second time in f.

If I write 1 in f., my household becomes with 5 members (myself, my wife, my kid, my wife again, and my friend).

I have made exactly $29000 for 2010. If my household is 4 I qualify, but if it is 5, I do not qualify.

Can I leave line f. 0, and attach a letter explaining that I was a sponsor, but because it was my wife I left it as Zero.

Is that gonna be OK. In that case my household will be 4 people and I do qualify for the income limits.

What should I write here, please help?

You count each person only once. Your wife, the intending immigrant is already counted. You don't enter her again.

As for your friend... you should not count that person as part of your household. The instructions are pretty clear on who counts as a member of your household: "household size includes yourself and the following individuals, no matter where they live: any spouse, any dependent children under the age of 21, any other dependents listed on your most recent Federal income tax return." I-864 instructions, bottom left column of page 2 - "How do I count Household size?"

Edited by mrclean

ROC

04/15/2013 - Day 00 - Sent: ROC package

04/17/2013 - Day 02 - Delivered: ROC package

05/02/2013 - Day 17 - Check cashed

05/03/2013 - Day 18 - Received: NOA1 - dated 04/18/2013

05/09/2013 - Day 24 - Received: Biometrics appointment - hardcopy

06/03/2011 - Day 49 - Successful walk-in for biometrics

08/14/2013 - Day 121 - Notification: Card Production

08/22/2013 - Day 129 - Received: THE CARD

AOS

02/15/2011 - Day 00 - Sent: AOS package

02/17/2011 - Day 02 - Delivered: AOS package

02/23/2011 - Day 08 - Received: Electronic notification

02/24/2011 - Day 09 - Checks cashed

02/28/2011 - Day 13 - Received: NOA1

03/03/2011 - Day 16 - Received: Biometrics appointment - hardcopy

03/09/2011 - Day 22 - Successful walk-in for biometrics

04/20/2011 - Day 64 - Notification: EAD Card / Document Production

04/25/2011 - Day 69 - Second Notification: EAD Card / Document Production

04/26/2011 - Day 70 - Notification: EAD Post Decision

04/27/2011 - Day 71 - Touched: EAD

04/28/2011 - Day 72 - Received: EAD/AP combo card

06/09/2011 - Day 114 - Notification: Interview scheduled for July 14th

06/11/2011 - Day 116 - Received: Interview appointment for July 14th - hardcopy

07/14/2011 - Day 149 - Interview: APPROVED

07/15/2011 - Day 150 - Notification: Card / Document Production

07/18/2011 - Day 153 - Received: I-130 and I-485 approvals - hardcopy

07/25/2011 - Day 160 - Received: THE CARD

Timeline

You count each person only once. Your wife, the intending immigrant is already counted. You don't enter her again.

As for your friend... you should not count that person as part of your household. The instructions are pretty clear on who counts as a member of your household: "household size includes yourself and the following individuals, no matter where they live: any spouse, any dependent children under the age of 21, any other dependents listed on your most recent Federal income tax return."

OK, thanks for the fast reply.

So I do qualify to be my friend's sponsor!

:)

I have one more question:

Does my friend's wife need to file form i-864 also?

She does not meet the requirements to be a sponsor (she doesn't make enough money).

If the answer is YES, what does she have to choose in Part 1, Question 1, and what do I have to choose in the same question?

If the answer is NO, still I want to ask what do I choose in Part 1, Question 1? Do I choose letter d. I am the only joint sponsor?

Thanks.

Timeline

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

do you make enough? you are still responsible for your wife.

so then you would have to make enough to cover your family + your friend.

you can be a joint sponsor to many as you want, if you make enough. but you will be responsible for them until they become a USC.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand that. Thanks for the clarification.

My family is 3 plus my friend I will be sponsoring = 4

I make over $29 000, so I qualify to become his sponsor.

I have this question for the i-864 application:

She does not meet the requirements to be a sponsor (she doesn't make enough money), but I read somewhere she still needs to fill a i-864 form, is that correct?.

If the answer is YES, what does she have to choose in Part 1, Question 1, and what do I have to choose in the same question?

If the answer is NO, still I want to ask what do I choose in Part 1, Question 1? Do I choose letter d. I am the only joint sponsor?

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

do you make enough? you are still responsible for your wife.

so then you would have to make enough to cover your family + your friend.

you can be a joint sponsor to many as you want, if you make enough. but you will be responsible for them until they become a USC.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand that. Thanks for the clarification.

My family is 3 plus my friend I will be sponsoring = 4

I make over $29 000, so I qualify to become his sponsor.

I have this question for the i-864 application:

She does not meet the requirements to be a sponsor (she doesn't make enough money), but I read somewhere she still needs to fill a i-864 form, is that correct?.

Thanks.

the petitioner always has to file a i864 because the petitioner is the sponsor. she will file one and you will file your own i864. she will file as the sponsor on her i864.

if you are the only joint sponsor, you will check, I am the only joint sponsor on your i864.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

To clarify some confusion - the OP lent his account to a friend who asked about sponsorship, then came in part way through to ask personally about co-sponsorship. I have separated out the two threads and moved the posts from the first thread related to the co-sponsorship over here to another thread started by the 'real' account holder. I've left the original question answered in the now-closed thread. http://www.visajourn...onsor-question/

As I mentioned in the other thread it is not a good idea to 'share' accounts due to the potential for confusion to arise.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.