~Johnny~

Going to Kiev in 7 days, any tips?

296 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Angelina Jolie had no problem speaking Russian after all those years of not speaking it. Why would any of us be any different?

:rofl:

Slim, you and I both know AJ isn't your typical woman...

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I'd say you don't need Russian to teach english but I'd find it very difficult to live in Russian with only knowledge of basic Russian...

ONA, I grew up in a home where three languages were spoken. It hasn't made anything more difficult except that my Spanish reading comprehensino is not as good as my English reading comprehension, etc. But it's made learning other languages a whole lot easier. You're doing a great thing as a parent to teach your kids two or more languages.

And like ONA said you dno't have to take intensive Russian at in-Russia Russian courses, I just personally chose to because that's where I wanted to go for grad school and I'd already go way beyond the levels offered at my uni.

Edited by AmyWrites

Slim, you and I both know AJ isn't your typical woman...

She's the only 110 lb. woman I know that can whoop EVERYONE's @$$.

I'd say you don't need Russian to teach english but I'd find it very difficult to live in Russian with only knowledge of basic Russian...

That's the impression I got from being over there. Thanks for confirming it.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Johhny.. I am sitting right now in a flat in Kiev. This is my third visit in 10 months.

Here is my take on your questions. Flush the toilet paper. Stay away from public toilets when ever possible. Worst men's room in the world can be found at the Kiev zoo!

Perfume has always worked for me. Flower a nice touch if it lasts the trip. (My Elena and I are now engaged and pending the K-1 Visa so end results very positive!)

Elena and I have been many times to the main shopping street Ulitsa Khreschatyk and you can spend a lot of time there. Lots of stores, restaurants etc.. Try and get to some of the parks along the river. The churches are numerous and magnificent. You'll spot a few McDonalds to make you feel at home although I took Elena there and she has decided it poison! (Probably right)

Not too many Dockers around... black chinos or blue jeans in the majority. Lots of black and darker colors. If you wear bright clothes you'll stick out like s sore thumb. Watch out for the cabs. No meters and everything is negotiable. They can smell an American a mile away. Airport into the city should be about 130 Grivna and shorter hops in the city about 35 to 50 Grivna.

Well that is the short take... have fun. Kiev is a GREAT city. I will be back in late April! David (and Elena)

I agree Johnny with the comments above. I been the Ukraine 29 times. Love It!!! From Borispoyl it cost about 240 hrivna, unless you get a local to negotiate the price down. The centre has some nice cafes to eat. Stay away from McDonalds!!!!! Enjoy the local cuisine and the blinchik. I always bring purfume and by flowers there. A good bottle of J'adore she will love! You have to put it with your checked baggage if it doesn't fit in your plastic bag. The Marshutka is a cheap way to get around, if you care to experience the town like th elocals. :-) Anyway, have a great time! I wish I was going back, but my girl now is Russian and I don't think she would approve anymore. :innocent:

There is some truth to Barons555 words, with respect to some of the hispanic population. But I will say in general learning two or more languages as a child will not hurt you one bit, with repsect to mastering the English language. I for one am a bilingual person, whose parents spoke only French when they came to the USA. My English is stronger than most native English speaking people, but my first language was French and I am fluent in both languages. Children will adapt more so than adults and I myself will want my children to speak Russian. Some close friends of mine have their children speak both Russian and English and the kids have a complete master of both languages. I would not worry one bit, teach them Russian. :thumbs:

I don't believe Baron was saying no to learning more than one language, I think he was just refering to what he has experienced. Just my 2 cents.

I been the Ukraine 29 times.

Please say it was for work because if you're going over there 29 times to find "the one" uh, well, uh... Do you think Ricky Martin is handsome? Ever find yourself sitting alone watching Twilight and listening to Elton John? Just asking.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Please say it was for work because if you're going over there 29 times to find "the one" uh, well, uh... Do you think Ricky Martin is handsome? Ever find yourself sitting alone watching Twilight and listening to Elton John? Just asking.

I would go 129 times if I could afford it.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

I would go 129 times if I could afford it.

I would too... but I don't think I could stay single after the third or fourth time over there.

Русский форум член.

I would too... but I don't think I could stay single after the third or fourth time over there.

In all honesty, I would not be married if I lived there, but I loved all my time spent there. It was all for leisure. I met some friends there, dated some women and actually had one come to live with me, but it didn't work out. Long story on that one, but it was good that it happend. Now I am truly happy with Olya and I have great memories of the Ukraine! Because I spent so much time in the Ukraine, I was able to understand the women better and know when I met the right woman for me. I never thought I would find her in Russia!!! :rofl: But my journey began in Russia, it is fitting that it ends there.

In all honesty, I would not be married if I lived there, but I loved all my time spent there. It was all for leisure. I met some friends there, dated some women and actually had one come to live with me, but it didn't work out. Long story on that one, but it was good that it happend. Now I am truly happy with Olya and I have great memories of the Ukraine! Because I spent so much time in the Ukraine, I was able to understand the women better and know when I met the right woman for me. I never thought I would find her in Russia!!! :rofl: But my journey began in Russia, it is fitting that it ends there.

So you went to Ukraine 29 times... for leisure?

Didn't you also go to Russia something like 7 times as well?

I gotta ask - how can you afford to do that?

Русский форум член.

So you went to Ukraine 29 times... for leisure?

Didn't you also go to Russia something like 7 times as well?

I gotta ask - how can you afford to do that?

My boss took me to Russia the first time, to me his then fiance in 2003. He wanted me to find an interest in a Russian woman. :thumbs: Who knew I would get addicted. :rofl: My first experience in Russia wasn't all that good, but I liked the history and the people, so my next trip was the Ukraine. That was it for me. I loved the Ukraine!!!! The women were all really nice to me and I was in heaven, so I thought. Then came the realization that some of the women will play games with you and some are just wasting your time. But I still loved it!!!! I learned about the culture, what the women really wanted, as opposed to what they tell you, and I learned about all the not so serious women in the Ukraine and Russia. All in all, it was a great experience and since I was single, young, no children, why not go to the Ukraine and enjoy the beauty of the Ukranian people. :innocent:

I make a good living and I use to work for an international company up until 4 weeks ago. So I was able to travel a lot and just had to buy the ticket to connect from Europe. Plus going in the winter time is cheaper and I had a lot of friends who I stayed with, so cost were down. It's not for everyone, but it was definitely for me! I just came back from Russia 4 weeks ago after seeing Olya. Yes, I have been to Russia now 7 times. I never thought a Russian woman would be the one, especially after all my trips to the Ukraine, but Olya is a diamond and I would not trade her for anyone else. :dance::thumbs: Anyway, I am sure people have very interesting stories about their journeys to FSU countries. Mine started with my former boss and never stopped in 8 years. It's been great and I have met some very good friends, even here, I have very good Russian and Ukrainian friends. Some people choose vacation in the states, I chose vacation in the Ukraine. :rofl: And I have many interesting photos to prove it! :rofl:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Try the country of Ukraine; it's even better than the Ukraine.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

:lol:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

My boss took me to Russia the first time, to me his then fiance in 2003. He wanted me to find an interest in a Russian woman. :thumbs: Who knew I would get addicted. :rofl: My first experience in Russia wasn't all that good, but I liked the history and the people, so my next trip was the Ukraine. That was it for me. I loved the Ukraine!!!! The women were all really nice to me and I was in heaven, so I thought. Then came the realization that some of the women will play games with you and some are just wasting your time. But I still loved it!!!! I learned about the culture, what the women really wanted, as opposed to what they tell you, and I learned about all the not so serious women in the Ukraine and Russia. All in all, it was a great experience and since I was single, young, no children, why not go to the Ukraine and enjoy the beauty of the Ukranian people. :innocent:

I make a good living and I use to work for an international company up until 4 weeks ago. So I was able to travel a lot and just had to buy the ticket to connect from Europe. Plus going in the winter time is cheaper and I had a lot of friends who I stayed with, so cost were down. It's not for everyone, but it was definitely for me! I just came back from Russia 4 weeks ago after seeing Olya. Yes, I have been to Russia now 7 times. I never thought a Russian woman would be the one, especially after all my trips to the Ukraine, but Olya is a diamond and I would not trade her for anyone else. :dance::thumbs: Anyway, I am sure people have very interesting stories about their journeys to FSU countries. Mine started with my former boss and never stopped in 8 years. It's been great and I have met some very good friends, even here, I have very good Russian and Ukrainian friends. Some people choose vacation in the states, I chose vacation in the Ukraine. :rofl: And I have many interesting photos to prove it! :rofl:

What a cool boss.

He needs to be on that show, "Undercover Boss."

Русский форум член.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

did gary hijack your account? :lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.